Programming Pro-135 and Pro-136

Status
Not open for further replies.

W0DER

I am a little confused. The ARC-135 page lists system requirements for programming the Pro-135 and Pro-136 including:

"PC interface cable Radioshack 20-047 or 20-546 "

Yet, the RS webpage for the 20-546 does not include these in the list of supported radios. Further, several sources have identified these rigs as being made by Uniden, noy GRE, so one would think the Uniden USB-1 would be the correct cable, yet specs for this cable list NO radios from RS!

Which is it? Or is there another cable that works? Anyone have any experience using software to program these units? Which cable worked for you?

Also, which is the best software, Butel ARC-135 or ScanCat? Or something else?

nanZor

I used the 20-047 cable and the Butel ARC-135 software to program it without any problem. I don't see why the newer 20-546 wouldn't work - although I haven't personally tested the newer cable with those two scanners.

While the 136 is a rebadge/restyle of the Uniden 340CRS, RS also added the programming port, which uses their typical 1/8" plug. The Uniden USB-1 doesn't have that 1/8" plug. I guess radio shack really wants you to use their usb hardware.

You can try the Butel software on an upgradeable time-limited demo to see if you like it.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
The 20-047 or 20-546 are the correct cables for the PRO-135 and PRO-136.
The USB1 cable will not work with these models.
RadioShack uses the same cable for all RS branded scanners.

Gommert
Butel Software

W0DER

Got one at half price!

I located a Pro-135 handheld and a Pro-136 desktop scanner on Store Clearance and had them sent to my local store. I know the 20-546 USB programming cable is listed on the website as being discounted with certain scanners, but these two were not listed. I had the clerk try ringing up the cable with my scanners anyway and it came up half price. SOLD!

Also, picked up a couple Race Scanner stubby antennas at another local RatShack, at $2.47 each, not even the $2.97 listed on the website!

Woo-hoo!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
BTW- These ARE in fact Uniden made radios. I did a carrier-on-indicator light on my Pro-136 and discovered this fact while looking under the hood! LOL..

Manny

W0DER

20-546 still works with them, right?

OK, the Pro-136 and Pro-135 are made by Uniden. What does that mean? Does the 20-546, "RadioShack® USB-PC Interface Cable for GRE Scanner" still work with them? Several posters have said it does. I guess I just have to try it, since I already bought it!

KE4RWS

BTW- These ARE in fact Uniden made radios. I did a carrier-on-indicator light on my Pro-136 and discovered this fact while looking under the hood! LOL..

Manny

Which IC and pin number do you tap to install the carrier light? I've already built the small circuit in preparation but just need to know which IC you tapped. For some odd reason this seems to be info not easily found . . . :confused:

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.