SCPD not working on Pro-164 anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenAnjel

They didn't go digital did they?

For a couple months now I have not been able to pick up ANY transmission whatsoever from the SCPD (New York, suffolk county police). I have not hooked the scanner up to the computer w/ Arc300 software since I programed it last December. I d/l the trial version or low cost version and it's expired and I don't have the money to buy it right now.

What are some things I can check for by way of settings that I can do manually to see if I can get this thing working again? I pick up fire dept's no problem, I get Medcom no problem. I even get Connecticut police and fire no problem (I'm on the North shore of Long Island--2 minutes from the water).

Am hoping I can get it working by the time Irene gets here and we possibly lose power.

Thanks for any ideas. :)

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
What Frequencies

You never mention what frequencies you have programmed. Looks like they rebanded at one time and are now in the 851MHz range. Did you check this out?

Suffolk County Trunking System, Suffolk County, New York - Scanner Frequencies

Have you checked he database?

Les

They didn't go digital did they?

For a couple months now I have not been able to pick up ANY transmission whatsoever from the SCPD (New York, suffolk county police). I have not hooked the scanner up to the computer w/ Arc300 software since I programed it last December. I d/l the trial version or low cost version and it's expired and I don't have the money to buy it right now.

What are some things I can check for by way of settings that I can do manually to see if I can get this thing working again? I pick up fire dept's no problem, I get Medcom no problem. I even get Connecticut police and fire no problem (I'm on the North shore of Long Island--2 minutes from the water).

Am hoping I can get it working by the time Irene gets here and we possibly lose power.

Thanks for any ideas. :)

FallenAnjel

I'm sorry, I was tired when I wrote that! ;)

Yes, it's reprogrammed for the rebanded freq's. It was working awesome after that, Then a few months ago I noticed the 7th precinct was breaking up in transmission. Priority was not on. It was only the 7th that did it, and not all the time. It was intermittent. All the other precincts were fine, full transmissions, no breaks. Even the 1st and I'm 30 miles from the 1st.

I haven't changed any settings. I just always turn the scanner on and leave it. I have fire and trunked in the same bank. I only have one FD open to listen to and I'm listening to them right now.

I can hook the scanner up to my other laptop w/ the Arc300 software but I don't remember if it'll work AT ALL after the trial expired.

bkantor

Haven't had any problems here on the south shore (Bay Shore) - when they first rebanded I had to tweak my radios (Pro-106, Pro-107, PSR-800, Pro-96) a few times until the final control channels and custom settings were solidified. It was challenging during the transition..make sure you have the most current settings.
Bob

FallenAnjel

Haven't had any problems here on the south shore (Bay Shore) - when they first rebanded I had to tweak my radios (Pro-106, Pro-107, PSR-800, Pro-96) a few times until the final control channels and custom settings were solidified. It was challenging during the transition..make sure you have the most current settings.
Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm hoping they are. I'm wondering if the control channels were changed, I'll have to check that out. I'm posting a link to my file from ARC300 of my scanner settings and if anyone has this scanner I'm wondering if you can open it and look at everything to see if my settings are correct. They LOOK fine to me, but I may be missing something.

Free Files Hosting - Woofiles.com - No Registration Required

Thank you so much.

FallenAnjel

Yes it is a trunked system. I have no [T] showing when it scans. I put ALL the trunk channels in, not just the control channels and I still get nothing. I DO get activity in conventional mode when on a trunked frequency but nothing while scanning.

I did notice the sound is distant and scratchy. But so is the dispatch of the fire department (453.6750). However, the portables from the FD are not scratchy and distant.

I'm so frustrated. I emailed someone my ARC file and they looked at it and said it looked fine. So I am still at a loss. I'm sure there's something that's being missed.

Where did you send your scanner to get fixed? if it's more than getting another one, I'll just buy another one. It doesn't pay. UGH! lol

FallenAnjel

IDTS, aren't custom tables only used w/ Edacs systems? The Suffolk County Police uses Motorolla Type 2, so we just use Trunk ID's.

N8IAA

IDTS, aren't custom tables only used w/ Edacs systems? The Suffolk County Police uses Motorolla Type 2, so we just use Trunk ID's.

You need to go to the NY state forum and click on the sticky for Suffolk county. And, yes, you can put custom tables in the 164. They are not for EDACS only systems. You'll need to use programming software. Have you updated the 164 with the latest firmware yet? It will help with the programming of oddball systems.
HTH,
Larry

screenersam

I hate motrbro
Yes it is a trunked system. I have no [T] showing when it scans. I put ALL the trunk channels in, not just the control channels and I still get nothing. I DO get activity in conventional mode when on a trunked frequency but nothing while scanning.

Where did you send your scanner to get fixed? if it's more than getting another one, I'll just buy another one. It doesn't pay. UGH! lol

if the [T] isn't there the unit isn't trunking. if it's less than a year since purchase try to find the receipt and take it to a Radio Shack dealer (still under warranty). it's a software issue in the unit, not a programming issue. I had a 164 and a 97 wi identical programming and the 97 worked fine.

Last edited:

lmm1266

pro164 not working anymore.

i have the same problem w/my scanner. i did go and get a new pro164 thinking it was my scanner and to no avail. it was programmed by computer. updated firmware to 1.08. i am still only gettin half the transmissions. about a week ago i was experiencing a lot of static on the SCPD 1st pct. next thin i know, i was only getting partial. what to do??

FallenAnjel

Just an update. I was able to get a file from someone else, and uploaded it onto my scanner (to confirm all my settings were correct) and I still don't get anything.

I did, however get some transmissions over last weekend. All of a sudden I saw the [T] and I heard some transmissions. It was the 4th precinct and something else, but it is totally sporadic. I haven't heard anything since.

I took it to Radio Shack (Rocky Point NY) and I was informed that because I didn't have a "Radio shack" warranty, I have to mail it to Radio Shack in Texas. So, thinking they're just being lazy and don't want to do anything, I called Radio Shack ( the 1-800 number on the website). First it took me 20 minutes to get to someone (Had to call back 4 or 5 times to get to a person because I kept hitting dead ends and automated messages). Well that did no good because the lady couldn't even tell me where to mail my scanner to get it fixed. She also couldn't tell me who makes them. (It just says Manufactured in China for Radio Shack).

Is Tandy still involved with Radio Shack?

I just called the corporate number and I"m sure it's too late since it's now 5:20pm in Tx. All I get are options for Payroll, among a few other choices, "Customer Care" which is the 1-800 number I spent 20 minutes on.

So now I am still stuck where I was Friday when I went into the store. If I am unable to get this to someone to get it fixed, then I want a refund (and I hope it goes on sale again in November so I can buy another one since it's $200 right now). If I don't get that, I will contact the BBB and let them handle it.

What a joke this is.

Does anyone know who manufactures RS's scanners?

Just an update. I was able to get a file from someone else, and uploaded it onto my scanner (to confirm all my settings were correct) and I still don't get anything.

I did, however get some transmissions over last weekend. All of a sudden I saw the [T] and I heard some transmissions. It was the 4th precinct and something else, but it is totally sporadic. I haven't heard anything since.

I took it to Radio Shack (Rocky Point NY) and I was informed that because I didn't have a "Radio shack" warranty, I have to mail it to Radio Shack in Texas. So, thinking they're just being lazy and don't want to do anything, I called Radio Shack ( the 1-800 number on the website). First it took me 20 minutes to get to someone (Had to call back 4 or 5 times to get to a person because I kept hitting dead ends and automated messages). Well that did no good because the lady couldn't even tell me where to mail my scanner to get it fixed. She also couldn't tell me who makes them. (It just says Manufactured in China for Radio Shack).

Is Tandy still involved with Radio Shack?

I just called the corporate number and I"m sure it's too late since it's now 5:20pm in Tx. All I get are options for Payroll, among a few other choices, "Customer Care" which is the 1-800 number I spent 20 minutes on.

So now I am still stuck where I was Friday when I went into the store. If I am unable to get this to someone to get it fixed, then I want a refund (and I hope it goes on sale again in November so I can buy another one since it's $200 right now). If I don't get that, I will contact the BBB and let them handle it.

What a joke this is.

I want to say GRE does if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.greamerica.com/

As of the last week of September, 2010, Suffolk completed their Rebanding process.

You will need to load a Custom Band Plan into your scanner to load the "Rebanding" layout

The custom band plan is shown here for you.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=722

After you put in the custom band plan you should be able to hear most things, but keep in mind this a mixed mode of analog and digital, which means they can use both of course. Looks like most is analog trunking. So as mentioned in another post you do have to put in a custom band plan. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.

Last edited:
i have the same problem w/my scanner. i did go and get a new pro164 thinking it was my scanner and to no avail. it was programmed by computer. updated firmware to 1.08. i am still only gettin half the transmissions. about a week ago i was experiencing a lot of static on the SCPD 1st pct. next thin i know, i was only getting partial. what to do??

Did you program in the custom bad pland since they rebanding as of September? If not you need to put the custom band plan which is layed out for you here.

FallenAnjel

I want to say GRE does if I'm not mistaken.

GRE America, Inc. - grecom scanner receiver, lcd modules, spread spectrum radio, wireless bridge, scanner antenna, scanner pre-amps.

As of the last week of September, 2010, Suffolk completed their Rebanding process.

You will need to load a Custom Band Plan into your scanner to load the "Rebanding" layout

The custom band plan is shown here for you.

After you put in the custom band plan you should be able to hear most things, but keep in mind this a mixed mode of analog and digital, which means they can use both of course. Looks like most is analog trunking. So as mentioned in another post you do have to put in a custom band plan. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.

If you've read my previous posts, my second post states that it is indeed updated to the latest firmware, and has the custom band plan. I also used the file of an experienced scanner and I still do not receive anything except now and again.

I also stated that the scanner says, "Made in China for Radio Shack Corp" but of course anything is possible.

Also, Suffolk County PD is all analog.

I will call GRE tomorrow morning.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider

When you press MAN and step to the control channel, what percentage does the radio decode?

I took it to Radio Shack (Rocky Point NY) and I was informed that because I didn't have a "Radio shack" warranty, I have to mail it to Radio Shack in Texas. So, thinking they're just being lazy and don't want to do anything, I called Radio Shack ( the 1-800 number on the website).

What a joke this is.

GRE is the designer and manufacture of the radio.

The Radio has a 1 year MFG warranty so is there is anything wrong with the radio, and you have had it less than 1 year, any part replacement will be no charge.

While some of these are very basic questions, even experienced users have made these mistakes.

Have you put in all 22 frequencies in case they have decided to use other channels as control channels?
You have not "LOCKED OUT" the control channels?
All frequencies are set as MO and the bank also?
Have you added talk groups the the sub tables and they are active?
When you select the OPEN mode (FUNC ".") can you hear anything?

If you've read my previous posts, my second post states that it is indeed updated to the latest firmware, and has the custom band plan. I also used the file of an experienced scanner and I still do not receive anything except now and again.

I also stated that the scanner says, "Made in China for Radio Shack Corp" but of course anything is possible.

Also, Suffolk County PD is all analog.

I will call GRE tomorrow morning.

I read right past that. Hopefully you get everything working.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
disappointing. when I called RS custserv they referred me to the local dealer and they sent it off for me. sounds like local dealer is gaffing you off :-(

FallenAnjel

well, i'm back again. and absolutely not any further than I was in August. I'm about to call the president of Radio Shack corp and tell him what he can do with his Radio Shack scanners.

15+ years of scanning
25+ yrs of being a radio shack customer
Bought two of my three store bought computers from Radio Shack, the first one costing me $2400.

and this is what I get.

Better business bureau is on my call list. At this point, I just want a refund and put the money towards Bearcat. I've only ever owned RS Scanners. The time has come to switch.

oh-- he's on a "conference call"... so I got disconnected, and he takes another conference call??? Ok, maybe it was RS he was talking to. ;) Gave them my phone number, we'll see IF they call me back. :-/

ps-- I'm so embarrassed... I just realized someone stated that GRE makes RS Scanners...

and I never called them. :( I'm calling them now.

However, I find it extremely funny, sad, hilarious and sickening that NO ONE at ANY PLACE related to Radio Shack KNOWS THIS!

PPS- called GRE.. they do not manufacture RS Scanners. The guy told me they even have a contract w/ RS that they're not allowed to work on them, and mentioned something about the office in Japan. Can't call Japan, LOL. RS ACTUALLy called me back, and first apologized for getting disconnected, and told me he was on the phone w/ RS themselves. He said "The Shack" phone number didn't help him either. Makes me appreciate our store's warehouse, as shoddy as it is, lol. He said I can bring it in w/ a receipt and they'll send it out. He said I SHOULDN'T be charged for it. I better not be. He also said that anything over $100.00 is covered under the 1 year Manufacturer warranty. I paid $99.99 for it. It's gonna be interesting if they charge me because I didn't pay $100. for it.

I"ll update as this all progresses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.