Pro-95 speaker mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5jmd

Hi, new forum user here, not new to scanners, or any type of radio equipment, but I do have a question about this scanner, the Pro-95 older model dual trunking from Radio Shack....

I remember programming one of these years ago for someone, and the audio is not very loud from the internal speaker. Does anyone know what replacement speaker or some other mod (like maybe a higher gain transistor for the audio output circuit and it's location on the circuit board)?

Just thought I'd ask, I got one the other day off Ebay for $61 shipped. Figured couldn't pass that up, I don't often need a handheld, but lately with the wildfires here in Texas it would be nice to have a handheld. This county is still on TxWARN Analog 800mhz Motorola Type II Smartzone so the Pro-95 will work just fine for that.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
KF5JMD

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I have done this mod for using an EXTERNAL speaker and it works great. If the internal speaker has gone bad, a replacement is available from places like Digikey or Mouser

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Adding a jumper to bypass the audio limiting resistor should boost the audio.

The internal speaker has no limiting resistor. The resistor you referenced is only connected to the earphone jack. The audio amplifier chip is a type NJM2070 powered by a 5 volt regulator. It can only ouptut about 0.3 Watt of audio power so the volume capability is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.