RadioShack and Pro-106 Repair center

Status
Not open for further replies.

al95

Today I went to my local RS store to have them send it in to be service. The problem the BNC connector is broken and the headphone jack is not disconnecting after I remove the headphones. The only way I get sound is to put in a plastic pen clip move it in circles until there is sound in the speaker of the radio, and the last thing is to have it readust. The employee when I ask them how much they charged to have my radio sent in he told me that they only serviced warranty or still in warranty things and not out of warranty. When I ask the 1-800 to the district office he told me he did not had it on hand. He told me to take it to Rio Radio or a radio repair shop. Can I take the pro-106 to this shops and have them fix this or so I go to another store. If RS employee can tell me what to tell new guys in RS to do so they can have my radio send in for repairs.

VE3JSO

i suggest calling radio shack Customer Care Representative at 1-800-843-7422 they might be able to help you i have heard from this site that radio shack service centers does work on scanners that is out of warrenty if i am not mistaken but give them a call to see what they have to say

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
AFAIK the rat shack repair center will work on out of warranty products. i think you ran into a misinformed employee.

ind224

GRE does not work on the RS scanners. Go back to RS and ask for the manager. You give them a $20 deposit per unit and they send it to a repair center. About a week later, maybe less, you should get a phone call or email explaining the issue(s) and cost. The $20 goes toward the repair. These radios are very sensitive to hard knocks. Be sure to ask for an alignment in addition to the hard parts repair you know you need.
I actually talked to a service center manager once. He forwarded me a parts list. My experience at the store was much like yours; the little girl knew nothing about the service procedures and thought belittling me was the thing to do. I told her to call someone that could teach her how to get the units (2) sent out for repair. If you buy just parts you must do it in person and pay for them at that time. They ship parts to your house but the radios get sent back to the store and you pay the balance when you pick it up.
Good luck.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
I was told the same thing when I brought my PRO 97 in for repair at the local RS store. He told me that they only repair in-warranty repair's because they would have to send it back to the manufactor (in China?) I then went home and called headquarter's at the 800 number and was told the same thing. So then I asked the head honcho there at RS that if I bought a new scanner from one of the store's and with it say a 2 year warranty, then after 2 year's and it break's I should throw it in the garbage? All I got was silence. RS might or might not make a good product but their customer service stink's and have moved them on MY priority list to the bottom. My Pro 97 was only 5 year's old and very limitd use as well.

johncoleman

Repair

Yes Radio shack will take your scanner for repair . You take it to any Radio Shack store along with $ 20.00 That twenty dollars is for shipping only both ways . If you have any questions here is the number to the only repair shop left in Texas 1-817-415-5142. Please be advised Radio shack does not Own this repair shop and someone from there will call you with the repair price before any work is done . It is then shipped back to your local Radio shack store for you to pay the repair bill and pick it up . Happy scanning

John

InlandAZ

I was told the same thing when I brought my PRO 97 in for repair at the local RS store. He told me that they only repair in-warranty repair's because they would have to send it back to the manufactor (in China?)

I'm not sure who you folks are talking to, but I just sent my original Pro-106 in for repairs not too long ago (no warrantee there). They shipped it to their Texas facility and I had it back in 10 days.

Maybe things have changed?

al95

What will a re-alignment do? Will it fix frequencies that the pro-106 miss and the pro-97 recieves correctly. The hard parts are to resolder the BNC connection, and replace the headphone jack. Does anyone knows how much will this cost? I'm in a tight budget. The next time I go to drop radio off will be the store I brought from. Thanks to everybody that have respond so far.

Trk2_Barman

Premium Subscriber
I was told by my local RS store that they could send it to a repair center as well, so I do not know who is informing your RS employees. They even gave me the 1800 # to call for trouble shooting first, and I have had my scanner for about 4 years now.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
The store should send it out for you, they collect a "drop off charge" which is applied toward the repair. You will get a job number and instructions on the receipt for checking the status of your repair. You can expect to see a status change in about 2 weeks. They do not give you much information. They will call you for authorization of repairs based on their estimate.

I recently had my 106 in for service. The first time they sent it back and claimed it was repaired but it still did not work. They sent it out again- no drop off charge and after several weeks got back to me with an estimate of the repairs which I authorized then learned on the website that they were waiting for parts....and waiting....and waiting. When it was finally returned to the store the charge was exactly double the estimate. The store personnel called the repair center and apparently the person calling for authorization neglected to read me all of the charges- I guess I got lucky because they only charged me the amount I had authorized.

Despite the delay and the confusion I am pleased with their work.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The store should send it out for you, they collect a "drop off charge" which is applied toward the repair. You will get a job number and instructions on the receipt for checking the status of your repair. You can expect to see a status change in about 2 weeks. They do not give you much information. They will call you for authorization of repairs based on their estimate.

This statement is very accurate!

al95

Does anyone know how much they charge to resolder the BNC connection, and to repalce the earphone jack and do the alignment someone recommend in doing? Can I call the repair center before I sent my radio in to repairs to get a estimate?

al95

Can anyone forward me a part list for the Pro-106

GRE does not work on the RS scanners. Go back to RS and ask for the manager. You give them a $20 deposit per unit and they send it to a repair center. About a week later, maybe less, you should get a phone call or email explaining the issue(s) and cost. The $20 goes toward the repair. These radios are very sensitive to hard knocks. Be sure to ask for an alignment in addition to the hard parts repair you know you need.
I actually talked to a service center manager once. He forwarded me a parts list. My experience at the store was much like yours; the little girl knew nothing about the service procedures and thought belittling me was the thing to do. I told her to call someone that could teach her how to get the units (2) sent out for repair. If you buy just parts you must do it in person and pay for them at that time. They ship parts to your house but the radios get sent back to the store and you pay the balance when you pick it up.
Good luck.

Do you have the part list? Is this list include all the parts or only the parts they repaired? Thanks

al95

here is a response from RS:

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for contacting RadioShack.com.

We appreciate your email and would be happy to assist you.
Unfortunately, we do not offer a repair service for out-of-warranty
products and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
As a suggestion, you may be able to find a repairman in your area that
would be able to assist you with the repair of your Scanner.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you, and
thank you again for contacting RadioShack.com.

Sincerely,

Ian D.
Customer Service
RadioShack.com

If a Member that works in RS can answer if this is correct or incorrect. I will be going to my local RS to have them send in my radio to repair.

wise871

Database Admin
Not to long ago I sent in my out of warranty Pro-197 to the Jacksonville Repair Facility via my local RS and they repaired it no problems.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

kruser

Premium Subscriber
here is a response from RS:

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for contacting RadioShack.com.

We appreciate your email and would be happy to assist you.
Unfortunately, we do not offer a repair service for out-of-warranty
products and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
As a suggestion, you may be able to find a repairman in your area that
would be able to assist you with the repair of your Scanner.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you, and
thank you again for contacting RadioShack.com.

Sincerely,

Ian D.
Customer Service
RadioShack.com

If a Member that works in RS can answer if this is correct or incorrect. I will be going to my local RS to have them send in my radio to repair.

That response does not seem correct.
Unless they have changed their policy in the last few weeks.

I've known many many people that have sent in RadioShack items for repair through the local store.
The only times I've heard where they would not or could not repair something was always because the parts were simply no longer available.

I think that would be another really bad move by RadioShack if they no longer support the products they sell after the warranty expires via their existing repair facilities.

I think Ian D. is a misinformed customer service rep!

Hopefully Doug will chime in here and clear the air and set the record straight.
This just smells totally wrong.

Last edited:

Michael-SATX

Alberto (al95) you were the guy that had me send both my WIN500 and WIN97 file for your SATX visit.
Boy, you never hinted at any problems with your Pro-106 ... sorry to hear about those 2 problems.
I work for RS here in SATX and have recently seen a Pro-106 sent in & fixed out of warranty successfuly, etc.
I say have your RS send that puppy in with $20 for an estimate ... it would be well worth getting it done !
To date I have seen 2 Pro-106's have their BNC antenna connectors resoldered by our repair center perfect.
Let me know if I can be of help. Also, did you get a chance to try my WIN500 & WIN97 files while in SA ?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator

I sent an email off to the repair center asking them to clarify this response from customer service. I think there was a misunderstanding because I sent a customer's scanner off about a month ago, out of warrany, and they did fix it for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.