Pro 106 Which One ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharoknivesloudguns

Premium Subscriber
Whats a better programming system, Win 500 or the Arc 500. I used the Arc 500 which seems to have worked fine. One more question. How do i upgrade my firmware ? Where do i go to do this ? Is this something i am going to have to purchase ?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Whats a better programming system, Win 500 or the Arc 500. I used the Arc 500 which seems to have worked fine. One more question. How do i upgrade my firmware ? Where do i go to do this ? Is this something i am going to have to purchase ?

As far as firmware upgrades for a Radio Shack product, Radio shack would probably be a good place to check:

RadioShack® PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

Scroll down and click on the tab that is labled "Product Support".

The firmware upgrades are there to download, the downloads contain very detailed instructions for upgrading.

The programming software for the Pro-106 is the same as the Pro-197 uses. There is already a thread about that here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/236109-pro-197-software.html

sharoknivesloudguns

Premium Subscriber
Cool

Thanks alot !! i am relatively new to using digital scanners, so any info for " Dummies " like me is greatly appreciated ! Again Thankyou ! Mike

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Gave ARC 500 Away

In my opinion, there is no comparison between the two. I have used both programming systems. Consequently, I gave my Butel to someone else. I did not like the setup.

With Win500, you have two things showing on one screen: a) the TSYS; & b) the associated talk groups for each TSYS. This makes it easy to program various trunking systems.

Regarding your upgrade, I can not help you. I use a PSR 500, the GRE equivalent.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Starrsoft website down?

Is the website for Win500 down or is it just a problem for me? I did a google search for Win500 and it points to the Starssoft website but when I click the link it is dead immediately. Is it just down or is it no longer available?

I even tried the homepage instead of the subpage link. No go.

shadcall

In my opinion, there is no comparison between the two. I have used both programming systems. Consequently, I gave my Butel to someone else. I did not like the setup.

With Win500, you have two things showing on one screen: a) the TSYS; & b) the associated talk groups for each TSYS. This makes it easy to program various trunking systems.

Regarding your upgrade, I can not help you. I use a PSR 500, the GRE equivalent.

I tried all three progams and went with ARC 500. I find it very easy to use. I know a lot of people here like WIN 500 but I thought that was the worst of the three.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Shadcall and tried all available. The Butel software (Arc500) has been dependable and I have had several different scanners models and the corresponding versions without any problems.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Just tried also... it's the site just try again later

Site is back up now but was also gone for me earlier.

I've ended up buying all the well known softare packages. Just because some have some things that that other is lacking.
I find that I use Win500 the most though when I'm making simple changes.

sphipps

PSREdit and Win500 are both fantastic. I like to keep my scanlists organized and both programs allow easy movement of systems and talkgroups among scanlists keeping all of the links and associations automatically intact. Also... both programs show battery voltage status in virtual control. ARC500 works well... but it just doesn't seem to have the customization features like the other two have.

AtomicPlowboy

I have wanted to purchase the win500 software for a while, but I tried once and the web site would not accept my card. I do not have a PayPal account so I keep using the software (Blutel) that came with my scanner. (Pro 106) I've sent a couple of e-mails but never got an answer.

N1BHH

Programming software is not needed for a firmware update. The firmware that you download from the Radio Shack website, found under the product support tab has the instructions for doing an update.

As far as programming software, the best in my mind is Win500. I have ARC300 and Win97 and found that ARC300 is more of a pain in the butt to use, too many tabs. And when transferring a file into my Pro-164 or Pro-2055 it changed several PL tones to one which I did not set in the file. Win 97 and Win500 are much easier to use, much more user friendly and I won't go with any other software than that which Don Starr has authored.

Status
Not open for further replies.