Pro-106 P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
I know that the Pro-106 is NOT supposed to work on Phase II, but has anyone actually TRIED it?
I don't mean to sound silly, but we are switching to Phase II and I just want to know.

If not, does anyone know if there will be a scanner in the near future (1-2 years) that will be capable of Phase II (not X2-TDMA).

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I'm sure people will be attempting once systems start going silent. I do not believe anyone has actually attempted to monitor it as Phase II is rare (for now). The answer has always been no and a little bit of searching might help here. The Pro-106 simply does not have the hardware to support Phase II TDMA (and will not ever have the hardware).

As for the scanner question, from what I've seen on the forums and the history of scanning I've seen, probably not anytime soon (unless GRE releases a firm statement that the PSR-800 will handle Phase II). When Phase II comes in and you have confirmed that everything you've ever wanted to hear has gone to the new system, you could always pick up the new project of opening up your Pro-106 and doing a discriminator tap once software decoding supports Phase II.

M105

Yes, I have tried it.
No, it does not work.

Our locals have both Phase I and Phase II radios. The P1 I can hear, the P2 are silent.

Phase II is TDMA and uses the AMBE vocoder. The Pro 106 has neither capability.
----
I expect to see a scanner soon for P2. The PSR-800 is close since it will do X2 TDMA but so far, no cigar.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
They are not using the Phase 2 yet I can sit my Pro-106 next to my Pro-668 and only hear Phase 2 on the Pro-668. A Phase 2 system will work as Phase 1 or Phase 2 you are hearing the Phase 1 traffic only.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
There are select channels that I monitor that are indeed operating in Phase 2. The Pro-106 scanner that I have even though some transmissions are broken does for the most part follow the digital voice.

I can hear very clear Phase 2 traffic on my Pro-106!! Same goes for X2-TDMA.

Then they are not transmitting TDMA or P2..
As stated above,the vocoders are not the same.
No way to get around that,Like putting a DVD into
a Audio CD deck..
the 106 has no way to decode or
interpret the data being transmitted from the
P2/TDMA radios/towers.

QDP2012

I know that the Pro-106 is NOT supposed to work on Phase II, but has anyone actually TRIED it?
I don't mean to sound silly, but we are switching to Phase II and I just want to know.

If not, does anyone know if there will be a scanner in the near future (1-2 years) that will be capable of Phase II (not X2-TDMA).

I might be wrong, but from what I understand (and I think an above post is similar to this idea), some Phase II systems automatically (temporarily) revert to Phase I when a Phase I radio is involved in a conversation. You might be hearing conversations that have at least one Phase I radio involved, thereby forcing the system to be in Phase I mode. If all radios are in Phase II mode, such that the system is in Phase II mode, then the RS106 won't handle it.

Hope this helps,

fredva

Feed Provider
There are select channels that I monitor that are indeed operating in Phase 2. The Pro-106 scanner that I have even though some transmissions are broken does for the most part follow the digital voice.

How do you know it is Phase 2? As others have said, just because it may be a Phase 2 capable system, does not mean they aren't transmitting as Phase 1 digital at a given point in time.

Voyager

I might be wrong, but from what I understand (and I think an above post is similar to this idea), some Phase II systems automatically (temporarily) revert to Phase I when a Phase I radio is involved in a conversation.

That's true, but "temporary" may be years on some current systems out there.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
Dont forget that Phase 2 is backwards-compatible with Phase 1. If there is a Phase 1 only radio on what normally is a Phase 2 system, everything defaults to FDMA (P1) rather than TDMA (P2). Someone correct me if Im wrong. [Edit: Someone already said this, I see]

Conveniently enough, I traveled to a place with a new Phase 2 system last week, and my scanner is a pro-106 as well. It received the control channels and identified them as a P25 CC with a good decode rate, but the system I created out of it was silent. I confirmed with Unitrunker there was traffic on the system, and channel access was shown as "P2" in the site window. So yeah - I echo others in saying the PRO106 wont do you any good on such a system.

Uniden 436HP/536HP

BCD436HP - The RadioReference Wiki

Bottom of the 1st list....

System Types:
Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II Smartzone
Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
Motorola Type II VOC
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
EDACS Narrowband Networked
EDACS SCAT
EDACS ESK (not ProVoice)
LTR Standard
Project 25 Phase I
Project 25 X2-TDMA
Project 25 Phase II

System Voices:
Analog
Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

trumpetman

Database Admin
Bear in mind not all systems will switch from Phase II to Phase I when a non capable radio affiliates. This is a feature you must pay for called Dynamic Dual Mode and it isn't cheap and done on a per channel basis. So don't expect all systems out there that have non Phase II capable radios to magically make the TG switch.

Voyager

Conveniently enough, I traveled to a place with a new Phase 2 system last week, and my scanner is a pro-106 as well. It received the control channels and identified them as a P25 CC with a good decode rate, but the system I created out of it was silent. I confirmed with Unitrunker there was traffic on the system, and channel access was shown as "P2" in the site window. So yeah - I echo others in saying the PRO106 wont do you any good on such a system.

The control channel works because both Phase I and Phase II control channels are the exact same format.

It's the voice channels that are different on Phase II systems. They can use 2 slot TDMA mode. But, relatively few do that yet.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
How about Nj? Does anyone know of a phase 2 channel that is actually operating in phase 2? Such as NJICS talkgroup or Somerset County P25 Phase 2 talkgroup?

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Uniden 436HP/536HP

BCD436HP - The RadioReference Wiki

Bottom of the 1st list....

System Types:
Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II Smartzone
Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
Motorola Type II VOC
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
EDACS Narrowband Networked
EDACS SCAT
EDACS ESK (not ProVoice)
LTR Standard
Project 25 Phase I
Project 25 X2-TDMA
Project 25 Phase II

System Voices:
Analog
Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

While I got you here and not intention to blow up this thread but.. Can you post a YouTube video showing us how you did the discriminator tap to your Pro-106. Pics are good, video is better

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
The control channel works because both Phase I and Phase II control channels are the exact same format.

It's the voice channels that are different on Phase II systems. They can use 2 slot TDMA mode. But, relatively few do that yet.

Good info, thanks for that.

While I got you here and not intention to blow up this thread but.. Can you post a YouTube video showing us how you did the discriminator tap to your Pro-106. Pics are good, video is better

Though Ive been tinkering with the idea of tapping my 500,With the introduction of low cost SDR Dongles..
Its far less problematic to set up SDR# and DSD vs opening up a radio..

I honestly dont think a vid would be the best route.
still pics give a very stationary and clear idea and depiction of the steps and contact points..

Tapping the 106/500 is really a breeze. theres lots of room in the radio,the PCBs are very accessible.

TP4 is the tap point,run a ground to the shielding..and a mono- 1/8th audio jack for the output..Add the
capacitor and resistor to clean up the signal..your good to go!

TP4 is a through the board connection,I pre-soldered the wire,pushed it through and just reheated it and the connect was made.

Or,,,the easier way,,get an SDR dongle,SDR# and DSDPlus...setting up the software will take about an hour...then your decoding and fine tuning!..

Status
Not open for further replies.