RadioShack Pro-107 iSCAN Trunking Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

parminides

I bought a RadioShack Pro-107 iSCAN Trunking Scanner. I'm a novice but was vaguely aware that scanners underwent an analog to digital format conversion similar to what happened with television.

I specifically asked the clerk whether this scanner would pick up the new format channels, and he said that it would since it's a trunking scanner.

Nonetheless, I cannot find any of the police, fire, ambulance, or any of what I'd call the exciting channels. Lots of chatter from cabs, airline baggage, and such, but none of the things I bought the scanner for.

The manual says that the entire national database is stored in its chip, so I'm inclined to believe that the clerk was wrong. I read in this forum that this scanner is analog only. Does that mean it won't pick up the emergency services?

In case the answer depends on location, I live in Nashville, TN (Davidson County).

If this scanner is no good for my puposes, would you please recommend an entry level scanner that will do what I want? Thank you for your attention.

egulley612

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I bought a RadioShack Pro-107 iSCAN Trunking Scanner. I'm a novice but was vaguely aware that scanners underwent an analog to digital format conversion similar to what happened with television.

I specifically asked the clerk whether this scanner would pick up the new format channels, and he said that it would since it's a trunking scanner.

Nonetheless, I cannot find any of the police, fire, ambulance, or any of what I'd call the exciting channels. Lots of chatter from cabs, airline baggage, and such, but none of the things I bought the scanner for.

The manual says that the entire national database is stored in its chip, so I'm inclined to believe that the clerk was wrong. I read in this forum that this scanner is analog only. Does that mean it won't pick up the emergency services?

In case the answer depends on location, I live in Nashville, TN (Davidson County).

If this scanner is no good for my puposes, would you please recommend an entry level scanner that will do what I want? Thank you for your attention.

LOL! OK, FIRST: YES there is an SD card in the scanner that has the national database. Second; The scanner is indeed analog but that doesn't mean you can't use it.

Third, The OOP(object oriented programming) takes awhile to get used to. Fourth, I would stay with the 107 so you can become familiar to it so you can eventually jump to the GRE PSR-800 which is digital and now has phase 2 decoding.

Lastly, Your area IS listed in the sd card inside the scanner.

Turn it over and take out the batteries, then you will see the card. CAUTION! the card is on a spring lock system, so please don't just go and pull it out, push it in and the spring will let go of the card so you can pull it out.

If you have the programming software on your computer, launch it and then click updates, then click library updates and allow the program to download the lastest(yesterday) update.

after you update the library, check the software update and click on that.

The 107 is a great novice scanner but i would highly recommend you do NOT get rid of it.

Redneck0410

Which, my friend, is why you NEVER trust a RadioShack employee's word, unless he looks like a member of ZZ Top. All they know how to do is sell you a cell phone. The Pro-107, as was indicated earlier, is an analog-only scanner, and Davidson County's system is a p-25 system. Check on Ebay, there are people selling the Pro-18 (which will follow the system you desire to track) and you'll be golden.

egulley612

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Which, my friend, is why you NEVER trust a RadioShack employee's word, unless he looks like a member of ZZ Top. All they know how to do is sell you a cell phone. The Pro-107, as was indicated earlier, is an analog-only scanner, and Davidson County's system is a p-25 system. Check on Ebay, there are people selling the Pro-18 (which will follow the system you desire to track) and you'll be golden.

You speak the truth. I had to go into a RS store and show my 107 so he could get the right programming cable after mine got swiped from me by some kids.

Redneck0410

You speak the truth. I had to go into a RS store and show my 107 so he could get the right programming cable after mine got swiped from me by some kids.

I don't claim to be an expert in the world of scanning (because I'm not and there's someone out there that knows a lot more than I do) but when it comes to what scanners will track what, I know a few things. There's posts all over these forums about how bad RatShack has gotten when it comes to scanner accessories, etc. Every time I go in there, the first question that comes out of their mouths is "Can I interest you in a cell phone?" I tell them, "If I want a cell phone, I will go to a cell phone store, not RadioShack." They back off of me immediately. I have to actually educate the employees of my local store on some of the functions of the scanners they DO sell. Many's the time I've been in there and someone comes in looking for a police scanner and the employees haven't the slightest clue as to what the customer's asking, so I step in and enlighten the customer with my knowledge. RatShack doesn't like that, but if it gets them sales, oh well. Bad thing is, the manager of this store is ex-military so you would think he would know a little bit about radios and such. NOPE!

Status
Not open for further replies.