Pro-106 Numbers on Keypad are Fading

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
Some of the numbers on my keypad are fading. Anyone know of any type of solution I can use to prevent this? At least something that won't make it look too bad.

Some of the numbers on my keypad are fading. Anyone know of any type of solution I can use to prevent this? At least something that won't make it look too bad.[/QUOTE

You can get one from Radio Shack

RSU Part number 12469052 is for the KEY TOP for the pro106 scanner.

Last known cost was $13.89 plus shipping.

Call: 1-800-843-7422

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Some of the numbers on my keypad are fading. Anyone know of any type of solution I can use to prevent this? At least something that won't make it look too bad.

Do you have acid hands ?

I've never had the keys on any of my scanners fade and I use them a lot.

Michael-SATX

My first keytop on my Pro-106 lasted about 2 years and some of the print on my keys was wearing off also.
However, the main reason that I replaced it, was out of the blue one day my down arrow key was just
completely locked up like it was being pressed. I disassembled my scanner and when I lQQked at the
carbon pad behind the down key it had like a "Florida Hanging Chad" that was making constant contact.
I took that keytop out behind the Bushes and what do you know it never made any Gorey contact again :))

Actually, that hanging chad flaked off enough where that keys response was less than optimal but worked
until my brand new keytop membrane arrived. That one new part made it lQQk and respond like brand new
again and ever since the keys have a crisp response feel and that was 2 years ago now ~ GREat move etc.

I am fixing to order 2 more keytops, 1 for a friend that has his labels worn and it is yellowing slightly ...
and heck I would like a spare for my scanner in case mine ever fails again down the road. Also with
the recent developements at GRE Japan, I don't want that Pro-106 RSU keytop part to become history ?

Last edited:

N1BHH

Do you have acid hands ?

I've never had the keys on any of my scanners fade and I use them a lot.

Everybody has acid hands and they don't even know it. And there really isn't anything you can do about it, except wearing surgical gloves, but that's not practical. The acid content in your body, especially your hands along with oils can cause print to be worn off. I have several radios which get regular use that have print faded or in one case totally gone dependent upon which keys are used the most.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
N1BHH you're 100% correct. I had the same fading problem with a Pro-528 I used to have. I used it a lot and all of the numbers faded out. Luckily I knew the keypad like I knew the back of my hands.

On my Pro-106 it's only a few keys that are fading, just the ones that I press the most such as the SCAN, FUNC, SRCH and PGM.

Thanks for the tip OsloViking1975, I'll check it out.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Everybody has acid hands and they don't even know it. And there really isn't anything you can do about it, except wearing surgical gloves, but that's not practical. The acid content in your body, especially your hands along with oils can cause print to be worn off. I have several radios which get regular use that have print faded or in one case totally gone dependent upon which keys are used the most.

No, not everyone has "acid hands" that eat stuff up, it varies widely. Some people can eat paint off of keyboards, rust guns almost instantly, even stainless ones. I have a friend like that. His steering wheel controls for the radio look like the car is 15 years old, and it's a 2011 car about a year old with about 12K miles on it. The leather on the wheel is starting to go too. My car is almost 2 years old with 25K on it, and those same controls look totally brand new. I don't let him touch my guns. He leaves rusty fingerprints on any blued gun unless it's wiped off right away. Stainless just takes a little longer.

I used to have heavy calluses on my fingers, especially my right index finger. I would wear off the labels on keys pretty quickly, so I replaced the "keytop" on my heavily used radios every couple of years.

N1BHH

No, not everyone has "acid hands" that eat stuff up, it varies widely. Some people can eat paint off of keyboards, rust guns almost instantly, even stainless ones. I have a friend like that. His steering wheel controls for the radio look like the car is 15 years old, and it's a 2011 car about a year old with about 12K miles on it. The leather on the wheel is starting to go too. My car is almost 2 years old with 25K on it, and those same controls look totally brand new. I don't let him touch my guns. He leaves rusty fingerprints on any blued gun unless it's wiped off right away. Stainless just takes a little longer.

I used to have heavy calluses on my fingers, especially my right index finger. I would wear off the labels on keys pretty quickly, so I replaced the "keytop" on my heavily used radios every couple of years.

Fatty acids are in everyone's skin, they are important and essential for healthy skin. Most essential fatty acids are consumed in healthy foods. Fatty acids have a positive effect on your skin. The negative effect is they can eat paint off objects such as buttons and even keyboards and mice. You can look it all up in any medical journal or encyclopedia, or speak with a dermatologist, I have much experience with this.

SCPD

QRT

I have had to replace my keypad on my Uniden 246T 3x .. and I am about ready to replace the keypad on my GRE PSR500. Why ... cause the manufacturers have ripped us off and provided a sub-standard product. My Uniden 780XLT (which I have 2) are still in perfect condition as well as the keypad of my Pro 2006 (which is from the 80's). NO keypad wear on any of these scanners.

Why is it that these MUCH older radios are fine .. yet the newer ones are all worn. It is not cause the newer ones saw much harder use .... they are just made with inferior parts compared to the older radios.

The solution ... as mentioned above order some new keypads (that should solve your problem for now). If you are reasonably good with a screwdriver and don't fear taking apart your scanner, the keypads are easy to replace.

Other that sitting your scanner on a shelf and not touching it .. there is no other solution that I have ever come across.

Last edited:

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Fatty acids are in everyone's skin, they are important and essential for healthy skin. Most essential fatty acids are consumed in healthy foods. Fatty acids have a positive effect on your skin. The negative effect is they can eat paint off objects such as buttons and even keyboards and mice. You can look it all up in any medical journal or encyclopedia, or speak with a dermatologist, I have much experience with this.

What I was trying to get at is it varies widely, some people have no real problem with it. I can handle guns without too much worry about it rusting if I don't wipe it off right away. My friend can't do that, if he doesn't wipe it down right away, there's a rust fingerprint the next day, and it almost never comes off.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
A leather case, whether soft or hard, from scannermaster will cure your issue..

I have them for my PSR-500 and Pro 106, and the only real complaint I have about both of them is the window that protects the keyboard makes them a hassle to use, so I ended up removing them. I mainly wanted the cases to prevent damage from drops, so it wasn't a big deal.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Glad I found this thread... I was cleaning the keypad on my Pro-106 tonight and the Tune button fell out. Looks like the Scan button is almost ready to go to. I was afraid a new membrane would be some archaic piece next to impossible to find, but it seems not! Now, will they ship to Canada... that will be the next trick.

nissanpower

Hey Forts, how did you make out with getting a new keypad?
I'm having trouble finding a store that can find it in their system...
Maybe they just don't know how to look up such replacement parts.. I don't know..
I've had 2 different people check out 5 different stores with Zero results so far :(

wingmaker

On my PSR 310, I put plastic from a sandwitch bag over the front of the scanner, and a little tape to hold, so I didnt make them go away, and to not get dust behind the LCD Screen:) LOVE AND BLESSINGS

mainetrunk

For those who want to keep their DESKTOP scanner pad clean for a LONG time, I got the trick. No-b.s, If you have to remove your scanner from its mount, trust me. It will be worth it. Simply put-Reynolds rap. If you have to remove scanner from mount,now is the time to do it.. In that case, disconnect eveerything. Cut a peice 6 inches by regular width of medium box size. Dont let it touch nothing! Place 1 side of wrap on scanner 2 inches folded over the front to top and back... Oh, you will need regular clear scotch tape.. Tape a small peice to the top of scanner. Make sure you center the scanner 1st. You want to tape all 4 sides, but top 1st. Tape small bit,ON TOP- fold over in front of scanner. Line it up for the BIG TAPE, --ceneterred-- 3 inches too long on right, and left--all same length.Next use a nail or sharp object to poke through the rap where the knob(s) are.. Depending on scanner Make hole,enlarge with fingers-SLIGHTLY--place wrap over facing of scanner, . Get as much of the wrinkles out as you can.. When you are sattisfied, start taping in all directions. Left side-right,top,bottom--small peices at 1st. It took me 2 tries to master it. When you are happy with wrap setting, tape all corners over-tighten the wrap up. Any remnants of wrap around knob(s) can be stretched further--with nail-small flattip screwdriver,EASY!!,, When the display get dirty-and dry, time to replace.. 2 month useage..What I get-----good luck-Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.