RS-Pro 106 volume static

Status
Not open for further replies.

radunn

I've had the scanner for a while but now notice annoying static when I first turn the scanner on and increase/decrease the volume. Is there a way to rid this static? In advance thank you for your time and support

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Don't you just hate it when some knucklehead says '...they all do that' ?

Well, they all do that.

Some have been successful with cleaning it, but for the $30 service fee at Rat Shack some have decided that having the factory folks do it or replace it is the way to go.

Don't use liquid or spray cleaners on a pot that has power, and make durn sure its dry when you do turn it back on.

smason

Mine does that. I'll be cleaning it soon, as it's getting worse.
When I say cleaning it, I mean dis-assembling the radio, and carefully applying some control cleaner directly into the pot opening by the contacts, not just "spray and pray"

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In a perfect world, GRECOM would just give us the part# for a audio taper potentiometer as a option to the linear taper pot they supply as a standard part. Then you could simply send your unit in to GRECOM and have them replace it, or if it's out of warranty then have a tech swap out the pot.

But since this is not a perfect world, here's a good place to start your research for a new audio taper volume pot.

DigiKey Corporation - Electronic Components Distributor

n9zas

N1BHH

All you need to do is give it a blast of tuner cleaner, available at Radio Shack. Spray into the control and then work it back and forth several times. I did notice it on mine maybe a years or so back and all I did was spray it a couple times and it's been perfect since then. No big deal, just pry the knobs up, spray it once, let it work in, spray a little more, put the knobs back on and you should be all set.

n5ims

You may fix things by simply turning it back and forth several times. This may dislodge the "dirt" that's causing the noise. Spray cleaners may work (note the warnings above to only use them when the device is off and allow time for it to fully dry off prior to turning it back on). One other warning though, it's possible that the cleaner may ruin the pot if you spray too aggressively or if it's a "really cheap" pot. "Too aggressively" is a relative term, some handle much more spray without issues while others you must be extreamly gentle with.

radunn

One other warning though, it's possible that the cleaner may ruin the pot if you spray too aggressively or if it's a "really cheap" pot. "Too aggressively" is a relative term, some handle much more spray without issues while others you must be extreamly gentle with.
Not familiar with the term "pot"; what does that reference? Thanks

gtaman

My pro 164 does that. How do you stop it. Do you take it apart or pull the knobs off. I've taken mine apart before but not the volume pot area.

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
All you need to do is give it a blast of tuner cleaner, available at Radio Shack. Spray into the control and then work it back and forth several times. I did notice it on mine maybe a years or so back and all I did was spray it a couple times and it's been perfect since then. No big deal, just pry the knobs up, spray it once, let it work in, spray a little more, put the knobs back on and you should be all set.

You mean to pry up the volume and squelch knobs? Right?
If so, can I do that without opening up the scanner?

Thanks in advance,
Gr8rcall

smason

You mean to pry up the volume and squelch knobs? Right?
If so, can I do that without opening up the scanner?

Thanks in advance,
Gr8rcall

No. Even though many people say to just "spray down the shaft" the chances of cleaner actually making it to the wiper on the inside of the pot are pretty slim.

To do it properly you need to get the cleaner inside the pot, usually through the opening by the solder tabs.

k3cfc

Silent Key
No. Even though many people say to just "spray down the shaft" the chances of cleaner actually making it to the wiper on the inside of the pot are pretty slim.

To do it properly you need to get the cleaner inside the pot, usually through the opening by the solder tabs.

This is exactly the correct way to repair this control.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Or... replace the linear pot with a audio taper pot like I mentioned above. The difference is like day and night! ;)

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.