Pro 163 CTCSS Poor Reception Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamontrc

Premium Subscriber
I am having trouble getting my local PD / Sheriff frequencies to come in clearly. The two freqs I am having trouble with are 465.1000 and 465.3000 . They do not seem to be listed in the RR database. Jefferson County, Iowa (IA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Many that are listed for the county, even under Licenses, FCC Licenses and Scanner Frequencies for Jefferson County, Iowa (IA) seem to be unused. Maybe they are digital. I found these two by searching the FCC site. Site / Market / Frequency Query I hear them very faint and with a lot of white noise just enough to make out what they are saying, both dispatcher and mobiles, but my Pro 163 indicates a full signal. It sounds like a distant signal. I have tried different antennas with no difference at all. I am using a WBD-40 Discone. I have determined they are CTCSS, and I have the two frequencies set to that mode. When receiving the scanner shows the CTCSS code as 131.8 . I have the attenuator off. I should note that I receive these two frequencies about the same using my Po 404 with the stock rubber duck. I am about 9 blocks from the tower listed on the FCC site for these frequencies. I receive other freqs even in the same frequency range fine. I am in Fairfield, IA – Jefferson County. I am fairly new to scanning. Any ideas?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KAH677 - JEFFERSON, COUNTY OF

Usually 465.100 and 465.300 are the low power (5 watts) input frequencies to 460.100 and 460.300 repeaters. Try listening to the 460 frequencies, which the county is licensed for (see license link above). They may be using these for a vehicular extender or some type of patch or relay.

I would program in all of the frequencies on the license. Some may be in use and have never been submitted to the DB.

However all the frequencies are licensed for P25 digital emmissions (11K3F3E).

You may also check in the Iowa Forum a little farther down the page. Someone locally may be able to give you more insight.

Last edited:

lamontrc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I will try that. I didn't even realize that there were two pages of frequencies at the link you provided. I looked at this link before, but I found the two frequencies I am using on a different page on this site. I was apparently looking in the wrong place.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
11K3F3E indicates analog narrowband emissions, not P25. Narrowband emissions will be much lower in volume when monitored on a scanner using normal FM bandwidth. You may be able to hear them better if you change the scanner bandwidth to narrowband.
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.