Help with Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureemt14

Hi everyone,

I have a questions regarding the pro-164. The first an most important is, Can you monitor only one TGID at a time like you do with a VHF frequency?

Sorry for my ignorance but i'm new to trunking systems.

jfhtm350

You can only hear one Talkgroup (TGID) at a time but if you can put a TGID as priority then it will check that TGID every couple of seconds for activity and if there is activity it will switch over to that one but still you will only hear one Talkgroup. No scanner that I know of will allow you to listen to two frequencies/talkgroups at the same time. I cant remember if the 164 allows you to make a TGID a priority channel or not.

futureemt14

I did not word that very good. What I meant was listening to one TGID at a time. With mine I miss a lot of transmissions because my county fire and PD are all on the same system. And I can't figure out how to select just one TGID at a time.

Thank You,
Jacob

DickH

I did not word that very good. What I meant was listening to one TGID at a time. With mine I miss a lot of transmissions because my county fire and PD are all on the same system. And I can't figure out how to select just one TGID at a time.

Thank You,
Jacob

When a TG you want is active, push PSE (Pause).

jfhtm350

Thank You,
Jacob

It can be hard to keep up with the law, fire, and ems on trunked system in a big city. You could set up the scanner to where the law is on one bank and the fire is on another so you could just turn off whatever you dont want to hear at the moment. That makes it a little easier to monitor.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring single TG on PRO-164

Ok, any recommendations?
If all you want to do is monitor a single TG, there are several options. I'd say just program that one TG. Otherwise in the PRO-164 you can lock out the other TGs in that bank, turn off unwanted sub-groups in that bank; or wait until there is a signal, then press and hold TRUNK to "hold" on that TG. I don't recommend the last option for a long term solution though.

futureemt14

If all you want to do is monitor a single TG, there are several options. I'd say just program that one TG. Otherwise in the PRO-164 you can lock out the other TGs in that bank, turn off unwanted sub-groups in that bank; or wait until there is a signal, then press and hold TRUNK to "hold" on that TG. I don't recommend the last option for a long term solution though.

I have tried programming one TGID but that still doesn't work. And I've also tried using the "Hold" but it s]doesn't work because it can't follow the control freq.

Thanks for your advice though.

N1BHH

Program the singular talk group you want, and set the bank to closed. If you are hearing the control channel (most systems remain on one 24 hours or more) you will hear only that talk group when it is in use. When you hear it during scanning press the PSE button and it will remain on it until you press the SCAN button, or the PSE button again. This is the proper procedure.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have tried programming one TGID but that still doesn't work. And I've also tried using the "Hold" but it s]doesn't work because it can't follow the control freq.
Sounds to me like you have the bank in OPEN mode, rather than CLOSED mode.

Yes, it is a pet peeve of mine that ID HOLD MODE does not track control channel changes. That's why I placed it as #3 and not a recommendation.

dallascowboys

Radio Shack

That is what I do with my pro-164 I have the local PD in one bank, other PD in the surrounding areas in another bank and fire in another bank, works great if something is going on with the PD I can lock out the other banks and just listen to PD.

futureemt14

Thanks for the idea "dallascowboys",

But that still doesn't work. I programmed it exactly like everyone says. And then listened to just one TGID and listened to my Dads radio on the same TGID but heard maybe 30% of the transmission that were on that freq. Don't know what to do.

Thanks anyway.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
What system is this?

Assuming you have the radio programmed properly for trunking it may be a rebanded system, which could result in you missing transmissions if you don't have the custom tables set.

Which on that radio has to be done via software.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Good point. It looks like you are monitoring a rebanded MOT system. Make sure the bank is closed and make sure that you've selected the "rebanded 800" band plan option. The bank being open will cause you to hear more than the desired TG. The wrong band plan will cause you to miss transmissions that are assigned channels the scanner can't properly find.

futureemt14

Good point. It looks like you are monitoring a rebanded MOT system. Make sure the bank is closed and make sure that you've selected the "rebanded 800" band plan option. The bank being open will cause you to hear more than the desired TG. The wrong band plan will cause you to miss transmissions that are assigned channels the scanner can't properly find.

Thank you, How would you select rebanded?

Status
Not open for further replies.