P25 Trunking (Pro 2096/Pro 96)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwh367

I apologize if this has been asked before, but if it has, I wasn't able to find the correct keywords to locate it.
My area is changing from EDACS trunking to P25 trunking sometime later this month. I've heard from some people on the inside that it will use the same frequencies and talkgroups, that they are currently using, once it goes live. I do hear a P25 control channel on one of the current EDACS LCNs.
If what I heard is true, I am assuming that I could just change the bank and talkgroups from EDACS to Motorola. Would that be correct?
Since little else is known about it I'd like to leave all the current LCNs programmed until I figure out the control channel rotation on the new system. In doing so, would I need to put the empty channel in between them like is suggested for Motorola control channels that are programmed into the same bank?

dwh367

I just typed in a search your town and found,
http://forums.radioreference.com/kentucky-radio-discussion-forum/214115-owensboro-going-digital.html

Far as just changing it motorola p25, problem would be that edacs uses the lcn numbers and p25 does not.

Correct. However by using the same frequencies under control channel trunking I'm thinking I should be good to go if I have all the all frequencies in it. That way no matter which control channel they rotate to I should be good to go. I'm not sure about that though so that's why I wanted to check before I break out the cable and software and start reprogramming. I do a have a Motorola SmartNet III system programmed for across the river in Indiana, using control channel trunking, and it works great. Just not sure if P25 trunking programs the same way as this will be the first P25 trunked system anywhere near here and I don't have any experience with it yet. Once I get it down I'll try to help the others in the area get it figured out. Thanks for your input!

dste

Change your bank to MOT

You only need LCNs 852.625 853.0875 853.575 and 853.8375 and they all need to change to MO as well

You should also change your bandplan to 9600 custom and put in base 851.00625 step 6.25 and offset 0.

Open the bank because you will not have AFS talkgroups any more. They will be more like 101, 103 ...

Good Luck.

dwh367

Change your bank to MOT

You only need LCNs 852.625 853.0875 853.575 and 853.8375 and they all need to change to MO as well

You should also change your bandplan to 9600 custom and put in base 851.00625 step 6.25 and offset 0.

Open the bank because you will not have AFS talkgroups any more. They will be more like 101, 103 ...

Good Luck.

Thank you! The talkgroups themselves shouldn't be too hard to figure out as the traffic on them shouldn't change. Now I can get started on the programming.

dwh367

In the database there are DEC and AFS listings for the current EDACS system talkgroups. Which format does Motorola use? Since I heard they will be using the same talkgroups I'm planning on entering either the DEC or AFS and using my programming software to convert it to the Motorola format. I'll still keep my bank open just in case but I'm wondering if that's maybe what they done when they programmed the P25 system as some of their EDACS radios are also P25 compatible.

RonnieUSA

In the database there are DEC and AFS listings for the current EDACS system talkgroups. Which format does Motorola use? Since I heard they will be using the same talkgroups I'm planning on entering either the DEC or AFS and using my programming software to convert it to the Motorola format. I'll still keep my bank open just in case but I'm wondering if that's maybe what they done when they programmed the P25 system as some of their EDACS radios are also P25 compatible.

Did You look at the file I uploaded for You, there are no talk groups, because none have been found yet.
Look at this, it is a system converting from EDACS to P25.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7535
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5241

Last edited:

dwh367

Did You look at the file I uploaded for You, there are no talk groups, because none have been found yet.

Looks like someone's had a bad day thus far. With that kind of attitude none of them will be found. I'm working on finding them based on some inside information I received. Whether it's accurate or not is what I'm trying to find out once it goes live. If it is accurate then I'm already good to go. If it's not then I'll start from the beginning and figure them out like everyone else. Maybe someone else will be kind enough to answer my question without admonishing me for trying to experiment.

robbinsj2

There is no direct equivalency between EDACS and Motorola and between EDACS and P25 -- it isn't a matter of automatically converting from one to another. You'll need to set the bank to open and scan until you pick up a few new TGIDs, and possibly then you'll discern a pattern and be able to populate the rest.

If anyone told you they will be using the same talkgroups, they may have meant that the user-apparent channels will be the same. For example, South Dispatch and police tac-4 and Smalltown DPW.

If you know a lot about the old EDACS TGID numbering, including the actual breakdown of the AFS bits, and assume that each old EDACS fleet is mapped to +100 on the P25, then you may be able to make some educated guesses for TGIDs. But there is no automatic conversion, or even common conversion as is sometimes seen from Motorola to P25.

Good luck, and please don't look gift horses (that p96 file) in the mouth.

Jim

dwh367

There is no direct equivalency between EDACS and Motorola and between EDACS and P25 -- it isn't a matter of automatically converting from one to another. You'll need to set the bank to open and scan until you pick up a few new TGIDs, and possibly then you'll discern a pattern and be able to populate the rest.

If anyone told you they will be using the same talkgroups, they may have meant that the user-apparent channels will be the same. For example, South Dispatch and police tac-4 and Smalltown DPW.

If you know a lot about the old EDACS TGID numbering, including the actual breakdown of the AFS bits, and assume that each old EDACS fleet is mapped to +100 on the P25, then you may be able to make some educated guesses for TGIDs. But there is no automatic conversion, or even common conversion as is sometimes seen from Motorola to P25.

Jim

Duly noted and thanks for your input.

dwh367

Jim

When I programmed the EDACS system, many moons ago, I entered the talkgroups in Decimal rather than AFS. My source was correct about the talkgroups remaining the same. I entered the new control channels and changed the settings from EDACS to Motorola. When it went live Monday, all of the other programming was already done. Thanks again to you and everyone else that helped. I now have a P96 to file to share with anyone else who has a Pro-96 or Pro-2096. One other person has already found it to come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.