PRO-651 Blows my 396XT out of the park

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxiso

Just got the PRO-651 in this morning.. It makes the 396xt sound like a joke.. The PRO-651 P25 sound is FAR FAR better than anything Uniden has out.. Which is sad cause I am a Uniden fanboy.. Anything digital sounds so much better and so much more clear on the RS scanner..

voxiso

wow, might have to pick one up!

It is a good idea.. I just put my 396xt with programming cables and a few antennas up for sale to buy another RS.. Some areas the Uniden is awesome In my area tho the RS seems to be the best.. So it is 50/50 both are awesome..

mainetrunk

Does the 651 have better aviation reception than the 197? How about the searches? Lo vhf gets alot of interference on the 197. As far as the P25 sound quality goes-- I feel the 396XT is better than the 197.. If you say the 651 sounds better than the 396XT, that's great.. I've been thinking about getting 1, I hope the price will be right when I decide to get 1..

jamesa53

The 651 is the handheld equivalent to the 197, the 651 used to be called the 106

awattam

Does the 651 have better aviation reception than the 197? How about the searches? Lo vhf gets alot of interference on the 197. As far as the P25 sound quality goes-- I feel the 396XT is better than the 197.. If you say the 651 sounds better than the 396XT, that's great.. I've been thinking about getting 1, I hope the price will be right when I decide to get 1..

They have these at Ham Radio Outlet in Salem NH for $399.95 (verified in person last Friday) which is the same price as Radio Shack are selling their version for.

They look really nice with the black casing and white buttons too,

Sorry, its the WS1040 (similar to the PRO-106 and the 651) thats $399.99.

minasha

Pro-651 or Pro-106 or whatever number whistler uses are all the same radio.
The audio quality is very good but I wouldn't call it "far far better than the 396xt.
Anyway the pro-651 etc. all DO NOT have muting during encryption, the 396xt does.
That means when a channel picks up encrypted signals it will blast the scrambled audio which'
sounds like donald duck on steroids. The 396xt will mute the signal so there is no disturbance.
That alone is a deal breaker for me and is why I won't buy a pro-651, type radio

KHardy50

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up the Pro-651 at a store that was closing for 160.00 I am a beginner and having a heck of a time programing it. I think I got a good product at a good price. Now I just need to learn how to use it..

I just picked up the Pro-651 at a store that was closing for 160.00 I am a beginner and having a heck of a time programing it. I think I got a good product at a good price. Now I just need to learn how to use it..

You definitly got a good price. I see you are already a "Premium Subscriber". As already suggested, get the RS 20-546 (approx $35 on eBay) programming cable to make things easier. There are two or three software apps to try and they all offer a 30 day, fully functional trial period. Before those 30 days expire, you will be a master.

But until then, expect some frustration and confusion at first. It's normal, don't worry you'll get there.

As for 651 vs. 396XT, I have both. Love them both, but in my opinion I do not find the 651 "FAR FAR better". Pretty close to equal. I like the size of the 396, but the larger 651 has a little bit better audio due to the larger speaker.

FallenAnjel

The 651 only does phase 1. None of the RS models will do phase 2.

What is Phase 1 and Phase 2?

They have these at Ham Radio Outlet in Salem NH for $399.95 (verified in person last Friday) which is the same price as Radio Shack are selling their version for.

They look really nice with the black casing and white buttons too,

Sorry, its the WS1040 (similar to the PRO-106 and the 651) thats $399.99.

I got mine on Ebay for $180. It was on sale at RS.com for $200 but were out of stock and the store wouldn't honor the online price.

I just picked up the Pro-651 at a store that was closing for 160.00 I am a beginner and having a heck of a time programming it. I think I got a good product at a good price. Now I just need to learn how to use it..

I highly recommend getting the 30 day trial of Arc500. You are a premiumm subscriber of rr so you can just download the freq. lists right to the scanner. You can have your scanner programmed in less than 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.