GRE-made Scanner Firmware Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

After seeing multiple threads where people have [sort of] bricked their scanners, I thought I'd put out this little helpful hint:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE YOUR SCANNER'S FIRMWARE UNLESS THE SOFTWARE AND/OR UPDATER YOU ARE USING SPECIFICALLY REFERS TO YOUR SCANNER MODEL.

That is, don't try to update a PRO-106 with PSR-600 firmware. Don't try to update a PRO-652 using PSR-700 PC software.

For example, a PRO-652 is very similar to a PRO-197. However, "very similar to" does not mean "exactly the same as". The hardware is different. The firmware is different. If, for some weird reason, you try to "update" your PRO-652 with PRO-197 firmware, you will succeed only in erasing your PRO-652's firmware. It will then sit there waiting for you to supply a valid PRO-651/652 firmware upload; as of this writing, you can't do that, because RadioShack hasn't made it available.

For another example: a PRO-652 is nothing like a PSR-700. There is absolutely no logical reason why someone should try to run "GRECom 700" to update the firmware in their Whistler-made PRO-652. The 652 is a digital scanner. The GRE-made PSR-700 is an analog scanner with an SD card.

EricGreen355

Premium Subscriber
After seeing multiple threads where people have [sort of] bricked their scanners, I thought I'd put out this little helpful hint:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE YOUR SCANNER'S FIRMWARE UNLESS THE SOFTWARE AND/OR UPDATER YOU ARE USING SPECIFICALLY REFERS TO YOUR SCANNER MODEL.

That is, don't try to update a PRO-106 with PSR-600 firmware. Don't try to update a PRO-652 using PSR-700 PC software.

For example, a PRO-652 is very similar to a PRO-197. However, "very similar to" does not mean "exactly the same as". The hardware is different. The firmware is different. If, for some weird reason, you try to "update" your PRO-652 with PRO-197 firmware, you will succeed only in erasing your PRO-652's firmware. It will then sit there waiting for you to supply a valid PRO-651/652 firmware upload; as of this writing, you can't do that, because RadioShack hasn't made it available.

For another example: a PRO-652 is nothing like a PSR-700. There is absolutely no logical reason why someone should try to run "GRECom 700" to update the firmware in their Whistler-made PRO-652. The 652 is a digital scanner. The GRE-made PSR-700 is an analog scanner with an SD card.

I have owned my pro 197 desktop and my grecom psr 500 years now and never updated it! How often does this need to be done? and can you provide links to do the upgrades? Thanks! :)

n5ims

I have owned my pro 197 desktop and my grecom psr 500 years now and never updated it! How often does this need to be done? and can you provide links to do the upgrades? Thanks! :)

I'll let others post the link(s) for you since I don't have them handy.

You only need to do the update(s) if you need them. If they fix something that's broken in a way that you notice, apply them. If they don't fix anything, you don't need to do so. Be aware that some fixes are pretty specific and the updates may "break" something that's working just fine for you while they fix something that has no affect in your situation.

For example, one of the updates (I don't remember which one, but it's easy to find if you search) fixes an issue where you may have some false images in a certain range of frequencies. The fix is to block out that range of frequencies from being received by the scanner. If you don't have any of the offending frequencies that create the images, but you also have an agency that transmits there (and you want to listen to that input frequency, not just the output of the repeater), you will no longer be able to pick them up after applying the update.

You may be "forced" to apply an update that you may not want if you end up needing a later one since updates start with the latest release. If you're at 1.0 and they release 2.0 (numbers are made up as an example here) you'll end up getting 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, ... when you apply 2.0. This is due to 2.0 using the previous latest version of 1.8.36 as its base. If you don't want what they did in 1.4 your choice is don't go to 2.0 or accept the unwanted changes from 1.4.

cherubim

One certainly can't stop others from tweaking and experimenting with scanner firmware although they should be aware that a bricked scanner is a real possibility if one doesn't know what they're doing. I also suspect that any bricked scanner that was flashed with incorrect firmware will not be covered by warranty so why take the risk for something that most likely won't provide any real benefit ?

curiouswill

hope fully in the near future

I will have my multiple counties in idaho up and running will include all of the twin falls police fire and ems yes we are small area but can get busy like all other providers if any needs go offline for safety or e.t.c i will it will include all the magic valley idaho area it will be free so hope fully you will listen once in awhile if not i guaranty a full refund it will be free so nothing lose true

amberherman

Premium Subscriber
I have a radio shack pro 106 and I have never updated it. right now I downloaded new info to it and all it does is scan I don't get any thing else. never had this problem before do I need to update it to a new firmware?

FallenAnjel

Where can I get updates for the Pro 164? My pro 164 has software v 1.08 and I just found out that it's up to 1.10 now. the Pro164 isn't on the RS website anymore so I can't get it there. Is it here on RR? I'll look around a bit. Thanks.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Pro-164

Where can I get updates for the Pro 164? My pro 164 has software v 1.08 and I just found out that it's up to 1.10 now. the Pro164 isn't on the RS website anymore so I can't get it there. Is it here on RR? I'll look around a bit. Thanks.
I think you forgot you knew about in 2013 see message 16 below you were also using firmware 1.09 at the time? I suppose you purchased another scanner with an older firmware than you had back then.
Anyhow I should have a copy at home and can e-mail it to you if it isn't too big.

http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...-164-firmware-ver-1-10-released-3-2-12-a.html

GPaEd

Wish I had seen this earlier

"Apparently, (not knowing what I was doing) I may have attempted to update the firmware on my Pro 197 BUT updated it with GRE software and for some reason it now starts up showing PSR500/600 and I no longer pick up the trunking frequencies AND seems to pick up conventional signals on a hit and miss basis PLUS it doesn't pick up transmissions for 25+ miles that it originally did and not a crisp and clear as it once was. So my question is there anyway I can get the original RS Pro 197 firmware reinstall. If so, can you or anyone provide the source. (of course, the Shack I bought it from offers on assistance). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Happy New Year!!!!"

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
So what is the most firmware update available for the Pro-197? I understand I can't use the firmware for the PSR-500/600 but just wondering if there's an update for the RS radio? Thanks for your help!

dpm3

Where can I secure the updated firmware for my PRO-197? Some of the local (King County, WA) trunked systems have re-banded and I think I need to update this radio in order to receive everything properly. The link provided in the Radio Reference "Reband Wiki" does not work ("404 - Not Found"), so if there is another source along with install directions that source would be much appreciated.

QDP2012

Where can I secure the updated firmware for my PRO-197? Some of the local (King County, WA) trunked systems have re-banded and I think I need to update this radio in order to receive everything properly. The link provided in the Radio Reference "Reband Wiki" does not work ("404 - Not Found"), so if there is another source along with install directions that source would be much appreciated.

They might not lead to the exact version you're seeking, but there are some additional links in these other threads (links go directly to the specific posts):
Radio Shack Scanners: FIRMWARE (Post #4)
Radio Shack Scanners: Pro 106/197 CPU 2.1 Released (Post #44)

Hope this helps,

dpm3

Thanks for the links to the update resources, QDP2012. When I check the currently installed versions on my PRO-197 it shows Boot ver RF1.2 and App ver RF1.7 . Do I need to update the radio sequentially to each earlier earlier version of any updates or can I just install the newest one (2.1) in a single "jump"? What I am trying to do here is to optimize the PRO-197 for use on the (recently) re-banded Seattle-King County Public Safety system.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Simply install the latest Dsp and firmware update. No need for the subsequent updates since they are included in the latest. :wink: 73, n9zas

Acehb

Premium Subscriber
Heap error 25af25 : 25b6

If you don’t have software to program the radio and can’t get into the radio to edit the objects you may well have to reinitialize it and start all over. (Press 0, then 1, then enter during the startup screen.) While this will erase the radio it will get rid of the dreaded Heap Error. If you have software you can usually read the radio even if a Heap Error is present.

IS this the only way to reinitialize it ??? How do I get new software !!!! HELP< HELP

Last edited:

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
I am just wondering how long RadioReference will keep updating Radio Shack scanners. I have a PRO-18. I update it weekly. I was just wondering; with Radio Shack being pretty much defunct. I would like to hear from an admin. It has been very convenient to just plug and play my RS scanner. Any input is appreciated. 73's to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.