RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 5:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wall street journal is reporting the Radio Shack will be closing 500 stores. Sounds like Radio Shack is trying to cut some stores that are not making money.
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM

RS is BS!!
Old 02-09-2014, 9:06 PM

Someone should tell them that their logo is actually just the registered trademark symbol and it looks dumb.
Old 02-11-2014, 6:11 PM

Yeah, that's basically what I said when they first started using that "logo" about 15 years ago!
Old 02-11-2014, 8:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post

Someone should tell them that their logo is actually just the registered trademark symbol and it looks dumb.
Ha ha ha
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2014, 4:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You know they updated their logo recently. Now it is bold, off center and more orange. Viva la Shack!
Attached Images

Last edited by KF5YBZ; 02-12-2014 at 5:01 PM..
Old 02-12-2014, 5:06 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Radio Shack. Purchasing my first programmable scanner and a copy of Police Call is a very fond memory of mine. Also, I got to meet Gene Hughes, George Switlyk and Rich Barnett along with Paul Opitz over at their Fort Worth headquarters when we pitched the idea of adding a CD-ROM to the Police Call product line up. That was literally a dream come true and it wouldn't have happened without Radio Shack. It's sad to see them declining, but it's also a sign of the times. Much like our beloved Police Call books, the internet has pretty much been the final nail in the coffin for the Shack. It was fun while it lasted.

-AZ
Old 02-12-2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5YBZ View Post
You know they updated their logo recently. Now it is bold, off center and more orange. Viva la Shack!
They also made 'radioshack' all lower case and white on a black background. With the new logo, radioshack should be on its way to profitability.

(Actually, I like the new logo considerably better than the old one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Radio Shack. Purchasing my first programmable scanner and a copy of Police Call is a very fond memory of mine. Also, I got to meet Gene Hughes, George Switlyk and Rich Barnett along with Paul Opitz over at their Fort Worth headquarters when we pitched the idea of adding a CD-ROM to the Police Call product line up. That was literally a dream come true and it wouldn't have happened without Radio Shack. It's sad to see them declining, but it's also a sign of the times. Much like our beloved Police Call books, the internet has pretty much been the final nail in the coffin for the Shack. It was fun while it lasted.

-AZ
I very much liked the old Radio Shack. But that was 40 years ago! I used to buy a new Police Call every year (even though it didn't seem to change much). I bought a lot of other stuff, too-- expensive stuff. But, yes, the internet has pretty much stolen radioshack's thunder. The shack hasn't adapted well.
Old 02-13-2014, 9:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well I just emailed Joe with some marvelous ideas so now we wait...
Old 02-13-2014, 9:12 AM
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

When I was a kid growing up in Baltimore City, I used to love riding my bike and going into Radio Shack (it wasn't close to my house). In fact, I was always under the impression then that right after Christmas or the start of the new year (right or wrong) that they had a huge sale and that was always a good time to look for new "toys" (scanners, etc.). Nowadays, when I think I might go there, I always know exactly what I want to buy (actually, that's me in general - I'm not a "shopper") and I go get it, pay for it, and get out.

I haven't had that "candy store" feeling about a store in a long time -- until last month when I drove to HRO in Woodbridge VA to pick up a 536.... I was like "wow, all this stuff in such a small store!" If I hadn't already spent $660, I would have been all over that store checking out the inventory! I'm dying to go back and almost did last weekend...

I'd like to see my local Radio Shack become an HRO!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Bump. Catching up with reading, I see $RSH closed at $1.33 on Friday. Close to all time low of $1.31 and it looks like creditors are still making store closings and restructure difficult. Comments are so bad that I am leary of bottom fishing even at this "fire sale" share price. A shame, a far cry from the store of 1975 that I worked for.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I also read today, that RS has downgraded their plans to cut 1,100 stores to only approx 600 now. They stated they will look for other ways to cut costs instead. 73, n9zas
Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

The reason for the store closing numbers dance is due to the creditors' objections, legal mumbo jumbo with credit terms. $RSH management has lost control. Like other brick-and-morter chains, the real estate may be more valuable than the business itself. Obviously, regional economics and location, location, location come into play.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsundstrom View Post

The reason for the store closing numbers dance is due to the creditors' objections, legal mumbo jumbo with credit terms. $RSH management has lost control. Like other brick-and-morter chains, the real estate may be more valuable than the business itself. Obviously, regional economics and location, location, location come into play.
True. My city opened a new non-franchise store this year, in a high rent mini mall so it remains to be seen how long they will survive. This store has chosen to offer to do cell phone and display repairs as well. 73, n9zas
Old 05-11-2014, 11:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: RadioShack Is Falling Apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
True. My city opened a new non-franchise store this year, in a high rent mini mall so it remains to be seen how long they will survive. This store has chosen to offer to do cell phone and display repairs as well. 73, n9zas
Simple repairs being available, without sending items to Texas, could be useful.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 6:25 AM

Radio Shack seems bent on self-destruction.

They spent a bunch of money on a Super Bowl ad that many people liked but that didn't do thing one to get a single person in to their stores. The main thing the ad did was emphasize how outdated Radio Shack's business model is. Can you say, "shoot yourself in the foot advertising?" Was that one of the least effective well-liked Super Bowl ads ever, or what?

They apparently needed a consultant to tell them the obvious, that they have too many brick and mortar stores. But how dumb did they have to be to announce the closing of stores beyond what is allowed by their agreement with investors without consulting with investors. Can you say, "how dumb can you be?"

The investors don't appear to disagree with the idea of closing stores. The investors just want their cut.

The question is not how low the stock is now. The question is what kind of stupid thing they're going to do next to make the stock go even lower.

Radio Shack is the epitome of a moribund company. The handwriting has been on the wall for many years.
Old 05-12-2014, 8:24 AM
Was k2ool/k1nng

Thumbs down RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxrufus View Post
Radio Shack seems bent on self-destruction.

They spent a bunch of money on a Super Bowl ad that many people liked but that didn't do thing one to get a single person in to their stores. The main thing the ad did was emphasize how outdated Radio Shack's business model is. Can you say, "shoot yourself in the foot advertising?" Was that one of the least effective well-liked Super Bowl ads ever, or what?

They apparently needed a consultant to tell them the obvious, that they have too many brick and mortar stores. But how dumb did they have to be to announce the closing of stores beyond what is allowed by their agreement with investors without consulting with investors. Can you say, "how dumb can you be?"

The investors don't appear to disagree with the idea of closing stores. The investors just want their cut.

The question is not how low the stock is now. The question is what kind of stupid thing they're going to do next to make the stock go even lower.

Radio Shack is the epitome of a moribund company. The handwriting has been on the wall for many years.

Sounds like investor greed will be their demise.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Default RadioShack Is Falling Apart

Rat Shack is more interested in making its investors happy than customers. That's the problem with many public traded companies.
Old 05-12-2014, 7:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Of the 10 Radio Shack stores in the 50 mile radius on their website, I found ONE that had solder type PL259 connectors in stock, and they had a whopping TWO of them. They need to change their logo to CELL SHACK, or tell their managers how to stock. Oh, and they told me they no longer carry bulk (by the foot) coax cable. No 50 ohm coax to be found. Lots of cheap 75 ohm TV coax, but that was it.

I bought their two connectors and when the clerk said to come back soon, I told him since they no longer have anything of interest to me in stock, Id be shopping on Amazon from now on.

They did not have a single scanner in stock either. I looked.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

ALL of their potential markets are already saturated. There are tons of other suppliers for us radio heads to get stuff from that will have things on our doorstep in a few days. RS would have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to survive, and I can't imagine what they could possibly do to prevent the inevitable collapse. I don't hate them, I just find no reason to go into a store anymore!

Tags
radio shack, sinking ship, sticky