RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners


Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2014, 5:18 PM
W9NES's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 1,789
Default

Wall street journal is reporting the Radio Shack will be closing 500 stores. Sounds like Radio Shack is trying to cut some stores that are not making money.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM
scannerdaddy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northfield Center, Ohio
Posts: 88
Default

RS is BS!!
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2014, 9:06 PM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 2,243
Default


Someone should tell them that their logo is actually just the registered trademark symbol and it looks dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2014, 6:11 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 325
Default

Yeah, that's basically what I said when they first started using that "logo" about 15 years ago!
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2014, 8:12 PM
RRR RRR is offline
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post

Someone should tell them that their logo is actually just the registered trademark symbol and it looks dumb.
Ha ha ha
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2014, 4:53 PM
KF5YBZ's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 76028
Posts: 82
Default

You know they updated their logo recently. Now it is bold, off center and more orange. Viva la Shack!
Attached Images
 

Last edited by KF5YBZ; 02-12-2014 at 5:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2014, 5:06 PM
AZScanner's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.
Posts: 3,352
Default

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Radio Shack. Purchasing my first programmable scanner and a copy of Police Call is a very fond memory of mine. Also, I got to meet Gene Hughes, George Switlyk and Rich Barnett along with Paul Opitz over at their Fort Worth headquarters when we pitched the idea of adding a CD-ROM to the Police Call product line up. That was literally a dream come true and it wouldn't have happened without Radio Shack. It's sad to see them declining, but it's also a sign of the times. Much like our beloved Police Call books, the internet has pretty much been the final nail in the coffin for the Shack. It was fun while it lasted.

-AZ
__________________
Author of:ActiveEMS - Phoenix Fire Now Free!
NewsBrief US - Breaking News and More
Currently in beta: ScanDroid X36
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2014, 9:07 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5YBZ View Post
You know they updated their logo recently. Now it is bold, off center and more orange. Viva la Shack!
They also made 'radioshack' all lower case and white on a black background. With the new logo, radioshack should be on its way to profitability.

(Actually, I like the new logo considerably better than the old one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Radio Shack. Purchasing my first programmable scanner and a copy of Police Call is a very fond memory of mine. Also, I got to meet Gene Hughes, George Switlyk and Rich Barnett along with Paul Opitz over at their Fort Worth headquarters when we pitched the idea of adding a CD-ROM to the Police Call product line up. That was literally a dream come true and it wouldn't have happened without Radio Shack. It's sad to see them declining, but it's also a sign of the times. Much like our beloved Police Call books, the internet has pretty much been the final nail in the coffin for the Shack. It was fun while it lasted.

-AZ
I very much liked the old Radio Shack. But that was 40 years ago! I used to buy a new Police Call every year (even though it didn't seem to change much). I bought a lot of other stuff, too-- expensive stuff. But, yes, the internet has pretty much stolen radioshack's thunder. The shack hasn't adapted well.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 9:03 AM
KF5YBZ's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 76028
Posts: 82
Default

Well I just emailed Joe with some marvelous ideas so now we wait...
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 9:12 AM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

When I was a kid growing up in Baltimore City, I used to love riding my bike and going into Radio Shack (it wasn't close to my house). In fact, I was always under the impression then that right after Christmas or the start of the new year (right or wrong) that they had a huge sale and that was always a good time to look for new "toys" (scanners, etc.). Nowadays, when I think I might go there, I always know exactly what I want to buy (actually, that's me in general - I'm not a "shopper") and I go get it, pay for it, and get out.

I haven't had that "candy store" feeling about a store in a long time -- until last month when I drove to HRO in Woodbridge VA to pick up a 536.... I was like "wow, all this stuff in such a small store!" If I hadn't already spent $660, I would have been all over that store checking out the inventory! I'm dying to go back and almost did last weekend...

I'd like to see my local Radio Shack become an HRO!

__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 11:38 PM
w2xq's Avatar
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington County, NJ
Posts: 1,629
Default

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Bump. Catching up with reading, I see $RSH closed at $1.33 on Friday. Close to all time low of $1.31 and it looks like creditors are still making store closings and restructure difficult. Comments are so bad that I am leary of bottom fishing even at this "fire sale" share price. A shame, a far cry from the store of 1975 that I worked for.
__________________
Tom - W2XQ - w2xq.com - DMR 3101743
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 7,440
Post

I also read today, that RS has downgraded their plans to cut 1,100 stores to only approx 600 now. They stated they will look for other ways to cut costs instead. 73, n9zas
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 AM
w2xq's Avatar
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington County, NJ
Posts: 1,629
Default

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

The reason for the store closing numbers dance is due to the creditors' objections, legal mumbo jumbo with credit terms. $RSH management has lost control. Like other brick-and-morter chains, the real estate may be more valuable than the business itself. Obviously, regional economics and location, location, location come into play.
__________________
Tom - W2XQ - w2xq.com - DMR 3101743
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 7,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsundstrom View Post
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

The reason for the store closing numbers dance is due to the creditors' objections, legal mumbo jumbo with credit terms. $RSH management has lost control. Like other brick-and-morter chains, the real estate may be more valuable than the business itself. Obviously, regional economics and location, location, location come into play.
True. My city opened a new non-franchise store this year, in a high rent mini mall so it remains to be seen how long they will survive. This store has chosen to offer to do cell phone and display repairs as well. 73, n9zas
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2014, 11:22 AM
krokus's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 3,466
Default Re: RadioShack Is Falling Apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
True. My city opened a new non-franchise store this year, in a high rent mini mall so it remains to be seen how long they will survive. This store has chosen to offer to do cell phone and display repairs as well. 73, n9zas
Simple repairs being available, without sending items to Texas, could be useful.

Sent via Tapatalk
__________________
Generic radio geek, in southeast Michigan.
PSR-500, TM-742, TM-V71,TH-78, HTX-420, IC-2AT, IC-2E (clone), Pro-39, BC-235XLT, TK-290, XTS-5000
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 6:25 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 142
Default

Radio Shack seems bent on self-destruction.

They spent a bunch of money on a Super Bowl ad that many people liked but that didn't do thing one to get a single person in to their stores. The main thing the ad did was emphasize how outdated Radio Shack's business model is. Can you say, "shoot yourself in the foot advertising?" Was that one of the least effective well-liked Super Bowl ads ever, or what?

They apparently needed a consultant to tell them the obvious, that they have too many brick and mortar stores. But how dumb did they have to be to announce the closing of stores beyond what is allowed by their agreement with investors without consulting with investors. Can you say, "how dumb can you be?"

The investors don't appear to disagree with the idea of closing stores. The investors just want their cut.

The question is not how low the stock is now. The question is what kind of stupid thing they're going to do next to make the stock go even lower.

Radio Shack is the epitome of a moribund company. The handwriting has been on the wall for many years.
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 8:24 AM
Southernsky's Avatar
Was k2ool/k1nng
   
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,324
Thumbs down RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxrufus View Post
Radio Shack seems bent on self-destruction.

They spent a bunch of money on a Super Bowl ad that many people liked but that didn't do thing one to get a single person in to their stores. The main thing the ad did was emphasize how outdated Radio Shack's business model is. Can you say, "shoot yourself in the foot advertising?" Was that one of the least effective well-liked Super Bowl ads ever, or what?

They apparently needed a consultant to tell them the obvious, that they have too many brick and mortar stores. But how dumb did they have to be to announce the closing of stores beyond what is allowed by their agreement with investors without consulting with investors. Can you say, "how dumb can you be?"

The investors don't appear to disagree with the idea of closing stores. The investors just want their cut.

The question is not how low the stock is now. The question is what kind of stupid thing they're going to do next to make the stock go even lower.

Radio Shack is the epitome of a moribund company. The handwriting has been on the wall for many years.

Sounds like investor greed will be their demise.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 PM
XTS3000's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,030
Default RadioShack Is Falling Apart

Rat Shack is more interested in making its investors happy than customers. That's the problem with many public traded companies.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 7:35 PM
davenlr's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Little Rock, Ar
Posts: 637
Default

Of the 10 Radio Shack stores in the 50 mile radius on their website, I found ONE that had solder type PL259 connectors in stock, and they had a whopping TWO of them. They need to change their logo to CELL SHACK, or tell their managers how to stock. Oh, and they told me they no longer carry bulk (by the foot) coax cable. No 50 ohm coax to be found. Lots of cheap 75 ohm TV coax, but that was it.

I bought their two connectors and when the clerk said to come back soon, I told him since they no longer have anything of interest to me in stock, Id be shopping on Amazon from now on.

They did not have a single scanner in stock either. I looked.
__________________
Scanners: BCD536HP BCD436HP BCT15
Ham: HTX-212 Yaesu 757 Kenwood B2000
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 AM
davedaver1's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Auburn, CA
Posts: 341
Default

ALL of their potential markets are already saturated. There are tons of other suppliers for us radio heads to get stuff from that will have things on our doorstep in a few days. RS would have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to survive, and I can't imagine what they could possibly do to prevent the inevitable collapse. I don't hate them, I just find no reason to go into a store anymore!
__________________
A bunch of scanners
A bunch of ham radios
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
radio shack, sinking ship, sticky

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions