RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 PM

There is one store open by me on rt 94 in Blairstown still. I almost broke my neck doing a double take the other day when I passed it.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2018, 1:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louwo View Post
There is one store open by me on rt 94 in Blairstown still. I almost broke my neck doing a double take the other day when I passed it.
That would be a dealer store, of which there are over 400 remaining across the country. All of the corporate stores are long gone.
Old 02-28-2018, 3:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This Article is Pretty Interesting--Can It Be Coming Back ??--Only Time will Tell

UPDATE: Radio Shack exits bankruptcy, again--The Story was Dated Jan. 8th,2018 Here is a Link to the Story

https://www.retaildive.com/news/upda...-again/508449/
Old 02-28-2018, 5:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louwo View Post
Which state?

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2018, 6:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

According to the Posters Location I Would Say New Jersey
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2018, 1:14 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I come here to read folks'es memories and anecdotes and such....
Bingo. It's basically a place for some to get nostalgic about days gone by. Just sharing old stories. I have 0.0% belief that radio shack will ever exist again.

Sharing memories and stories is as old as human history though. Take it for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfd320 View Post
This Article is Pretty Interesting--Can It Be Coming Back ??--Only Time will Tell

UPDATE: Radio Shack exits bankruptcy, again--The Story was Dated Jan. 8th,2018 Here is a Link to the Story

https://www.retaildive.com/news/upda...-again/508449/
Good for another 1600 or so posts here? LMAO!
Old 03-02-2018, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleSycho View Post
Good for another 1600 or so posts here? LMAO!
One can only hope.
Old 04-28-2018, 7:47 AM

It appears the closest Radio Shack store for me is in Eaton, Ohio. I'm not exactly clear what they might sell there or would it just be for ordering and paying for items and then picking them up when they are delivered? Would it be a place you could take a previously-bought Radio Shack item for service?
Old 04-28-2018, 7:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyKid View Post
It appears the closest Radio Shack store for me is in Eaton, Ohio. I'm not exactly clear what they might sell there or would it just be for ordering and paying for items and then picking them up when they are delivered? Would it be a place you could take a previously-bought Radio Shack item for service?
If you want to know what they sell or what they do, stop by there. As far as service, I wouldn't trust them for anything,
Old 04-28-2018, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
If you want to know what they sell or what they do, stop by there. As far as service, I wouldn't trust them for anything,
Thanks. Eaton, Ohio is about 50 miles away from where I live. I'm familiar with Eaton because I worked there many years ago and have gone back over the years. I thought I might get some indication of what this specific store might offer before making that trip.
Old 04-28-2018, 9:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question

Quote:
Thanks. Eaton, Ohio is about 50 miles away from where I live. I'm familiar with Eaton because I worked there many years ago and have gone back over the years. I thought I might get some indication of what this specific store might offer before making that trip.
Maybe pick up the phone and call them
Larry
Old 04-28-2018, 9:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
According to the store locator on RS.com, the Eaton store is a RadioShack dealer. This is not a corporate store, as all corporate stores have long since closed. The dealer stores are independent businesses, and may be able to perform repair work on RS products. You'd be best by calling them first, however.
Old 04-28-2018, 9:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What exactly is the RadioShack item you need service on? The corporate stores hadn't accepted anything for repair in several years prior to the first bankruptcy in 2015. Too many home electronics are considered disposable, and the cost of repair often is competitive with replacement.

Last edited by bob550; 04-28-2018 at 9:33 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 12:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Corporate Radio Shack stores, never handled any repairs.
Those always went out to the Service Center[s]
Quote:
Old 04-28-2018, 1:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92 View Post
Corporate Radio Shack stores, never handled any repairs.
Those always went out to the Service Center[s]
Technically, there was a time in the mid to late 90's when stores could perform "in-store repairs". The manager would typically handle the work, and determine what to charge the customer. It was never a good idea as the store managers weren't trained, customer charges could be arbitrary, and repairs could sit around the stores for weeks before being worked on. However, managers got to liking this as they recouped the profit from the repair, instead of our repair centers. Other than that, stores only "accepted" items for repair and then forwarded the item to the appropriate repair center. More recently, select RadioShack stores had the "Fix it Here" programs for the repair of cellphones. All that said, RS dealers can set their own policies regarding servicing and repairs, and are not bound by any corporate edict.
Old 04-28-2018, 1:31 PM

I'm just on the lookout for new police/fire scanners and have had previous purchases of those from Radio Shack although it's been a few years.

The item I'm looking for repair on is the microphone and auxiliary inputs for a cassette recorder which appears to have a short in it. I'm familiar with Radio Shack and other outlets wanting someone to buy a new product rather than have the older one repaired. However, my experience with cassette recorders is the cassettes recorded on that specific machine doesn't have the same audio quality when played on another or even a new recorder and I have any number of cassettes from that older recorder and I would like to continue to use it for both recording and listening.

As was noted in the reply from Larry, probably calling ahead to the Eaton store is the easiest way to determine if it can provide what I'm looking for.
Old 04-28-2018, 1:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I'm just on the lookout for new police/fire scanners and have had previous purchases of those from Radio Shack although it's been a few years.
If you check the RS website, you'll see that they don't even mention scanners. Not that is ever mattered anyway, since all their units were private-labeled by GRE, Whistler, or Uniden. In the last few years of it's existence, scanners were seldom in stock and weren't being replenished. That said, dealers are free to carry what ever products they wish, and may have something in stock you can look at.
Old 04-29-2018, 8:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You must have been lucky, as anything in my area was shipped out, unless you found one of the few Sales/Techs working on the side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob550 View Post
Technically, there was a time in the mid to late 90's when stores could perform "in-store repairs". The manager would typically handle the work, and determine what to charge the customer. It was never a good idea as the store managers weren't trained, customer charges could be arbitrary, and repairs could sit around the stores for weeks before being worked on. However, managers got to liking this as they recouped the profit from the repair, instead of our repair centers. Other than that, stores only "accepted" items for repair and then forwarded the item to the appropriate repair center. More recently, select RadioShack stores had the "Fix it Here" programs for the repair of cellphones. All that said, RS dealers can set their own policies regarding servicing and repairs, and are not bound by any corporate edict.

Last edited by ecps92; 04-29-2018 at 8:23 AM..
Old 04-30-2018, 6:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

The item I'm looking for repair on is the microphone and auxiliary inputs for a cassette recorder which appears to have a short in it. I'm familiar with Radio Shack and other outlets wanting someone to buy a new product rather than have the older one repaired. However, my experience with cassette recorders is the cassettes recorded on that specific machine doesn't have the same audio quality when played on another or even a new recorder and I have any number of cassettes from that older recorder and I would like to continue to use it for both recording and listening.

As was noted in the reply from Larry, probably calling ahead to the Eaton store is the easiest way to determine if it can provide what I'm looking for.
For the scanner options, there are dealers that carry things not that far from you, and a couple catalog sales options.

For the tape recorder, check who does electronic item repairs, in your area. (Based on your profile, you are in the Cincinnati area, and I would be highly surprised if no shops were in the area.)

Sent using Tapatalk

Tags
radio shack, sinking ship