Pro-668: How can I program and update the unit? Pro-668

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouisx50

Just got the Pro-668 and found the cable but no CD software for the PC. In the manual it mentions having " Iscan Software and EZ Scan Software for the PC" but where is this software located? I am running windows 8.1.

What do i need to do?

DJ11DLN

Just got the Pro-668 and found the cable but no CD software for the PC. In the manual it mentions having " Iscan Software and EZ Scan Software for the PC" but where is this software located? I am running windows 8.1.

What do i need to do?

It should be on the SD card in the radio...it is on the 1080s. Plug the cable in and connect to your computer, it should read the radio as a removable drive. Better still, get a SD-MicroSD adapter and read directly from the card. If it's there you should be able to install it just like from a CD. If not, somebody at RS (or Whistler) screwed up.

rtsims

Por668

As stated the software is located on the sd card . Bear in mind if you are going to create a custom program for your area get you another sd card to use so as not to mess up the factory card . I put my factory supplied card back in the scanner box . Be sure to do a full format on the new card when preparing it , not the default quick format . I have the 668 and the whistler 1080 (same scanner)

DJ11DLN

@rstims: Do they use the same (EZScan) program? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 668 or a 1080 but concerned about the current RS situation, much as I (obviously) like their scanners.

@OP: In my reply to you I should have also said, at least be sure and make a full backup of the card on your HDD. rstims's suggestion is even better but I still suggest a backup. Happy scanning!

Blackswan73

Well, I don't have a a crystal ball, but I would venture to say the 1080 has a better outlook for future support than the 668. But who knows, maybe a year or two from now, Whistler may go under. But by that time, if indeed it should happen, there will probably be other options. Just for the record tho, the 1080 seems to have a couple of tweeks they left off the 668. For instance, the 1080 has a menu option for entering conventional frequencies from the radio, and the 1080 has a squelch option menu entry as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnet158

I just got mine today. You're suppose to just connect it to your PC via the USB cable. I can only see the card with the radio off, and when I try to run the setup it just hangs. Is this software suppose to work with win 8.1?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
You will only see the SD card when the radio is off.
Try copying the installer file to your local drive and installing it that way.

gnet158

I did, it quits about half way. I'm going to see if my card reader will read the SD card and copy them onto my pc that way. But do you have it working under win 8.1?

rtsims

it is different being the that rs & whistler are different brands . so the software is branded different and the firmware is different on the 2 scanners . the whistler has a way to program conv. freq in the menu the 668 does not . as far as scanning I think they are equal. since I work for RS I like the price with my employee discount , compared to what I paid for the whistler .

stlouisx50

I did, it quits about half way. I'm going to see if my card reader will read the SD card and copy them onto my pc that way. But do you have it working under win 8.1?

If its hanging/freezing with the EZ Scan App, just wait. It will eventually load everything. Mine froze about 4 times, but continued. Be patient.

However when trying to do a format with a new 2gb card I got the following error

Error Detected
Please see User Guide for more information
CODE: 3-04
00000000 0003

stlouisx50

I found that if you copy the original scanners sd card to computer , you can then turn your scanner off, remove the factory sd card, insert the new sd card. Go to the drive that it's located on (Computer) and format the card. Then paste the files you copied to the scanners drive.

rtsims

once you have the freqs loaded into ez scan go to the scanner/sd card menu and select prepare scanner/sd card for use then when the menu comes up uncheck the quick format box and check copy current config to sd card after format this option will bring up another window and then hit enter . Then sit back and go drink coffee for awhile while this does its thing . It takes about an hour for the complete process . selecting the quick format will give you an error message when you try to use the card I have found out . sometimes I have had to repeat the process . I am using 16 gig cards in mine .

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the Pro668, external AC power adapter, I am planning to use the Apple 5V 1Amp wall wart. Is this unit sufficient to power the radio with AC or should I get a higher rated USB power adapter?. Any recommendations? I noticed RS has an ext USB power adapted rated at 3.1A. These RS units any good?
I do not plan at this time to use rechargeable batteries. Most of the time power 668 off the USB power adapter.
Thanks

DJ11DLN

Regarding the Pro668, external AC power adapter, I am planning to use the Apple 5V 1Amp wall wart. Is this unit sufficient to power the radio with AC or should I get a higher rated USB power adapter?. Any recommendations? I noticed RS has an ext USB power adapted rated at 3.1A. These RS units any good?
I do not plan at this time to use rechargeable batteries. Most of the time power 668 off the USB power adapter.
Thanks

My Pro-18 runs well on an orphaned Samsung phone charger rated at 780 mA. The charger doesn't even get warm to the touch. Power requirements for your Pro-668 shouldn't be much different, I'd think your 1-amp supply would run it easily. Try it and see if it introduces any interference; if it doesn't, you're golden.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
It should be on the SD card in the radio...it is on the 1080s. Plug the cable in and connect to your computer, it should read the radio as a removable drive. Better still, get a SD-MicroSD adapter and read directly from the card. If it's there you should be able to install it just like from a CD. If not, somebody at RS (or Whistler) screwed up.

Anyone have a copy of the 668 iscan? My 668 SD card didn't have the software on it. I'm using the 1080 software, it updates the library and computer but it will not update the firmware, thanks.

Last edited:

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Thank you nosoup4u!!! It worked 1st time. FYI anyone else, I have to take the rechargeable batteries out and put the switch to ALK to update. I think it's in the manual.

MONITORING247

look fore a file that says software there youl find set up then drag it to your desk top that's what i did. now your usb should be hooked to your pro 668 with radio off, then look for the drive that says pro668 remember open set up as soon as it comes up with the pro668 of and the unit plunged into the usb look for look for UPDATES on top and hit CHECK FOR ALL UPDATES thatch it HAPPY SCANNING

Last edited:

nyscan

What are the latest versions that should appear when you hold the menu button on start? Want to make sure my updates took.

Status
Not open for further replies.