Pro-668: Can't update the Pro-668 since the Windows 10 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

I'm trying to update the CPU firmware on the Pro-668 to the latest version, but I can't. Windows 10 recognizes the scanner has a removable storage device, but the Pro-668 software doesn't recognize the scanner. I tried reinstalling the software and drivers, but it still won't recognize the scanner as anything other than a storage device when I connect it. Any ideas?

willtorres918

I had the same problem, you have to reinstall the 668 driver. The driver is unsigned so you have to enable Windows 10 to accept unsigned drivers. There's a few tutorials on here, if I can find them I will post a link.

JustLou

I've allowed Windows 10 to use unsigned drivers. When I installed the Radio Shack software, it asks me if I'm sure I want to use the unsigned driver, and I say "YES". After installation, the Pro-668 still shows up using some default Signed Windows file system driver. When I try to pick and choose what driver to use in Device Manager, no other drivers show up.

willtorres918

I don't usually make tutorials but I'll give it my best shot. This is what I did. I do not take credit for this, this is someone else's work. If I could remember who, I wish to thank you. This is from memory so do it at your own risk.

If you've backed up the Pro 668 Folder from your scanner, locate it and find the "inf" folder. It will only work if you have it on the PC. Open it and copy the "RadioShack_PRO-668.inf" file somewhere easily accessible like the desktop or just keep it there and remember how to get to it.

1. Click on the Start Menu, Click on power, then hold the Shift key and click Restart at the same time.
2. After the PC restarts click on Troubleshoot, click on Advanced options, click Start Up Settings then click Restart.
3. After the PC restarts Press the number 7 to Disable driver signature enforcement. Windows will now load.
4. Locate the "RadioShack_PRO-668.inf" Right click on it and choose Install. You'll get a warning but go ahead and install it.
5. Plug in your scanner, right click on Start Menu, choose Device Manager.
6. Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)" If you have more than one device here you'll have to figure out which is the scanner and then right click on it. choose Update Driver Software
7. Choose "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" then "Let me pick from a list of devices.."
8. Check the box "Show compatible hardware" Click on "RadioShack_PRO-668 Serial Device" Then click next. You should get a screen that says "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"

I hope this works for you.

JustLou

My problem is "RadioShack_PRO-668.inf" is nowhere to be found. I installed the original 1.09 version of the software, and the driver directory is empty. A Windows search doesn't find it either.

JustLou

Thanks. I had found the file after I posted, and all is well now. Thanks for your help.

jnewell

I don't usually make tutorials but I'll give it my best shot. This is what I did. I do not take credit for this, this is someone else's work. If I could remember who, I wish to thank you. This is from memory so do it at your own risk.

If you've backed up the Pro 668 Folder from your scanner, locate it and find the "inf" folder. It will only work if you have it on the PC. Open it and copy the "RadioShack_PRO-668.inf" file somewhere easily accessible like the desktop or just keep it there and remember how to get to it.

1. Click on the Start Menu, Click on power, then hold the Shift key and click Restart at the same time.
2. After the PC restarts click on Troubleshoot, click on Advanced options, click Start Up Settings then click Restart.
3. After the PC restarts Press the number 7 to Disable driver signature enforcement. Windows will now load.
4. Locate the "RadioShack_PRO-668.inf" Right click on it and choose Install. You'll get a warning but go ahead and install it.
5. Plug in your scanner, right click on Start Menu, choose Device Manager.
6. Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)" If you have more than one device here you'll have to figure out which is the scanner and then right click on it. choose Update Driver Software
7. Choose "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" then "Let me pick from a list of devices.."
8. Check the box "Show compatible hardware" Click on "RadioShack_PRO-668 Serial Device" Then click next. You should get a screen that says "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"

I hope this works for you.

Installed 10 yesterday and repeated what I'd done for 8 - worked like a charm.

jnewell

It is on the MicroSD card in the scanner. If the PC recognizes the scanner as a drive find that folder and copy it.

I was tripped up momentarily by that. The driver is one the card in the scanner, but does not copy to the program directory (which should have been immediately obvious to me...).

skywarrior

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
Just wanted to say a big thank you for posting the Win10 solution. I performed it on both of my Windows 10 machines and it worked like a charm

WM5W

Installed 10 yesterday and repeated what I'd done for 8 - worked like a charm.

Gotta say... I did this on my Win 10 touchscreen tonight. Worked like a champ. I had been fighting this for days under windows and Linux. Absolutely great advice to follow.. I was finally able to update my CPU, DSP, and library. All which were very far behind.

southpaw57

Premium Subscriber
Thank You willtorres918 for Your post and step by step instructions on getting the pro668 driver to work with windows 10. It took me a couple of tries as I am not yetr that familiar with windows 10 op. But I persisted and Your steps werew right on. Thanks Again for you time and help...southpaw57

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Another hearty thanks willtorres918! People like yourself are a big part of what makes this forum the great place that it is.

hannac

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone upgraded a winner machine where its easier to install driver to win 10? Everything still work?

69Dartman

I just signed up after finally trying to hook my 668 to my new box with 10 64 pro finally. I have kept my old monster 7 ultimate machine beside my new one sleeping to run the things 10 doesn't support.
My 4 gig memory card that came with it died today so was trying to figure out that issue. Posts here said to format a new card and several had links to the software so got that done. Then my 10 box wouldn't update the scanner and was thinking everything was at square one of the software and firmware for the 668.
My 7 box of course worked fine but figure might as well try to make the 10 box play nice as I'm mostly using it now what with it's much faster CPU and 16 gig of memory.
Anyways Willtorres918 info on how to force 10 to accept unsigned drivers easily, then update the USB driver got me in business as well so signed up to say thanks and hope to learn more tricks to tweaking this thing to do more or better things.
I got lucky on this radio as my best friend knows I've been into scanners and radios forever and he happened by a local Radio Shack that was closing. He told me about them and got one for himself, then promised to go back and pick one up for me for about 150.
He went back and they had ONE left and it had gone down to 110, they had seven the night before. He ended up giving it to me as I had helped him roof his house a while back, even though I had decided to go into hock as it was too good a deal to pass up. SO been using it since summer last year or whenever the fire sale was and enjoying keeping up with everything happening in my area.
I have had to help him program his as he knows nothing about them and was just using the HUGE play list of local or next state over channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.