Help Understanding what to do with ID/Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace2015

Good morning, first off I want to thank everyone that have given me so must help on here. Ive bought a new PRO 652. Im trying to understand how digital trunking scanners are programmed. Im working with Monroe/Union county NC which changed to a digital trunking system recently. 15 years ago I programmed my old scanner using Frequencies and I believe ID numbers. Does the new scanners still require both to be entered? Im so confused. This scanner is gonna be a gift to someone so I want it to be working correctly. He is a retired Police officer aged 80 so I want him to be able to turn it on and listen. I know that there is software out there but money wont allow that now. Thanks for any help.

R

retiredmich

This will help you.

Easier to Read Pro 651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Manual-Printed Manual

Swipesy

Today's scanners are nothing like scanners 15 years ago. Trying to program today's scanners by hand is a major undertaking. I have been into public service radio listening for more than 60 years so trust me when the naysayers say you can do it by hand. You can but you should not.

My suggestion is to download PSREdit and/or WIN500 and program the scanner using one of these programs. You can use them, fully functional, for 30 days free. Going this route more people on this Forum can help you program it and maybe even send you a file that you can just load into the scanner.

R

retiredmich

Swipesy, what do you mean by this quote ? when the naysayers say you can do it by hand. You can but you should not, I have NEVER used software to program my scanners.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Swipesy, what do you mean by this quote ? when the naysayers say you can do it by hand. You can but you should not, I have NEVER used software to program my scanners.

It means that it will wear out most people's nerves. Just like you can build a space shuttle in your suburban garage, but there are much better ways of accomplishing the task.

Sent via Tapatalk

Swipesy

It is perfectly clear what I mean. I challenge you to program my PSR 800 by hand which has 9 P-25 systems programmed and 10,000 Talkgroups or my maxed out PSR 500 at 1816 objects by hand. You can also use a horse and buggy to travel across the country instead of an automobile but neither task makes sense when you have modern technology available to simplfy the task. Some people just avoid modern technology which is fine but they are a small minority and are left behind. Back on topic.

R

retiredmich

OK ! send them to me. I have my RS PRO 106 just about maxed out by manually program, I do not trust software simple as that, lot of people don't know how to manually do it but I do. Have a Merry Christmas Sir.

DJ11DLN

OP: I'd suggest asking about this in the NC section, farther down the main page. Probably someone there who can not only help you understand about your local systems but possibly even get the unit programmed for you. Those are very popular models and I think you'll find there are a ton of folks around who own them, and some form of software which will allow easy programming.

kc4jgc

Wow, a simple request for assistance turned into this. While programming manually is possible it's extremely time consuming and nervewracking. I tried to program my Pro-106 manually; no success. I was able to program "bank" scanners (Pro-95) manually no problem. "Object" scanners is a whole different creature when it comes to programming. Retiredmich, I applaud you for accomplishing the manual programming. I'd like to be able to do that on the fly on my '106 but I have enough headaches!

Wallace, I agree with Swipesy; download one of the database managing programs (WIN500, et al). Since it's free for 30 days, use it to get the scanner running & be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.