RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 5:11 PM
pro106import's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Posts: 1,128
Default

OK after reloading the Pro-668 firmware back into the radio, everything works fine- P25 sounds good, even though I did not touch the DSP. But the interesting thing is it still shows the DSP is version 3.0.
So it actually did load 3.0 in there (I guess?) but it doesn't work with the 4.4 WS1080 firmware apparently. Then I went to the Pro-668 EZScan and sure enough, it shows that there is DSP version 3.0 in there and you have to over ride the prompt stating that you have a newer version in the radio than the V1.4 that is the latest available. So I shot the 1.4 back in for the heck of it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 5:12 PM
mancow's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.E. Kansas
Posts: 5,835
Default

And did it work?
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 5:23 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 2,213
Default

As others are finding, my PSR800 took the WS1080 CPU 4.4 just fine as well as DSP 3.0 but I can no longer receive any digital at all.

I did wipe an SD card and started fresh but no joy.
Analog still worked fine.
I also noticed after I switched it to an WS1080, the S indicator was pretty much lit constantly when trying to scan anything digital.

The only thing I forgot to try was messing with the DSP Level and the ADC and DAC settings. By default, the latest PSR800 CPU or DSP set these to 14,0,0 respectively but after installing the WS1080 CPU 4.4 and DSP 3.0, the DSP Level went to 75 but I don't recall where the other two landed at.
I meant to try setting them all back to the PSR800's default levels but forgot. This change could have been made by the PC App also.

I ended up reverting back to the PSR800 CPU 2.0 and DSP 1.3 before I remembered I did not test changing those settings.
I don't know if changing them would have done anything with digital reception. At least the radio booted without error which was promising!

I suspect the PSR800 may not have the needed hardware to support DMR.

The latest EZ-Scan PC App installs DSP 3.0 firmware which also has NXDN support even though a real WS1080 does not support NXDN. I kind of doubt the pre NXDN version of DSP firmware would have made a difference but it's possible the pre NXDN version would have allowed the PSR800 to work as a WS1080 and allow DMR and not break P25.
The NXDN version of DSP could have some code in it that the PSR800 does not like but a real WS1080 can handle even though it cannot do NXDN.

I don't recall what version the DSP firmware was before NXDN support was added but I think it was DSP Version 2.3. I don't know how one could get that version being as the PC App downloads and installs it unless an older version of the PC App would only allow DSP Version 2.3 to install.

Does anyone have a link to download the WS1080 PC App version 2.16?
How about the CPU Version 4.3 manual installer?
The change log for CPU 4.4 does not even mention NXDN so it may have not added anything NXDN related but trying 4.3 may be worth a shot on a PSR800.

There is a report that a RadioShack Pro 668 at least stops on digital talkgroups and displays their info but it does not pass any audio it seems.
I don't own a 668 so cannot do any testing with it. That is more than I got from my PSR800!

If anyone knows where I can get EZ-Scan 2.16 and the CPU 4.3 manual install firmware file, please advise where as I would like to try this again with those versions.

That's my report with this attempt.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 5:36 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Galesburg, Illinois
Posts: 60
Default

I ran into the exact same issue. DSP didn't function, couldn't/wouldn't decode any digital transmissions. Scanner wasn't even showing connected to a site in Pro96com. Flashing back to the RS v2.4 firmware and DSP v1.4 wasn't an issue, took a whopping....however long it takes the utility to flash firmware, short period of time. No harm, no foul. I doubt this issue will be a huge problem to address. Thank you for your work, Eric.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 5:37 PM
pro106import's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruser View Post
As others are finding, my PSR800 took the WS1080 CPU 4.4 just fine as well as DSP 3.0 but I can no longer receive any digital at all.

I did wipe an SD card and started fresh but no joy.
Analog still worked fine.
I also noticed after I switched it to an WS1080, the S indicator was pretty much lit constantly when trying to scan anything digital.

The only thing I forgot to try was messing with the DSP Level and the ADC and DAC settings. By default, the latest PSR800 CPU or DSP set these to 14,0,0 respectively but after installing the WS1080 CPU 4.4 and DSP 3.0, the DSP Level went to 75 but I don't recall where the other two landed at.
I meant to try setting them all back to the PSR800's default levels but forgot. This change could have been made by the PC App also.

I ended up reverting back to the PSR800 CPU 2.0 and DSP 1.3 before I remembered I did not test changing those settings.
I don't know if changing them would have done anything with digital reception. At least the radio booted without error which was promising!

I suspect the PSR800 may not have the needed hardware to support DMR.

The latest EZ-Scan PC App installs DSP 3.0 firmware which also has NXDN support even though a real WS1080 does not support NXDN. I kind of doubt the pre NXDN version of DSP firmware would have made a difference but it's possible the pre NXDN version would have allowed the PSR800 to work as a WS1080 and allow DMR and not break P25.
The NXDN version of DSP could have some code in it that the PSR800 does not like but a real WS1080 can handle even though it cannot do NXDN.

I don't recall what version the DSP firmware was before NXDN support was added but I think it was DSP Version 2.3. I don't know how one could get that version being as the PC App downloads and installs it unless an older version of the PC App would only allow DSP Version 2.3 to install.

Does anyone have a link to download the WS1080 PC App version 2.16?
How about the CPU Version 4.3 manual installer?
The change log for CPU 4.4 does not even mention NXDN so it may have not added anything NXDN related but trying 4.3 may be worth a shot on a PSR800.

There is a report that a RadioShack Pro 668 at least stops on digital talkgroups and displays their info but it does not pass any audio it seems.
I don't own a 668 so cannot do any testing with it. That is more than I got from my PSR800!

If anyone knows where I can get EZ-Scan 2.16 and the CPU 4.3 manual install firmware file, please advise where as I would like to try this again with those versions.

That's my report with this attempt.
You can't use the direct PC app on a scanner that it isn't intended for. It won't initiate.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 5:55 PM
sibbley's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Posts: 980
Default

There is a video on RR showing Eric's PSR-800 doing DMR. Maybe all that is needed is the Pre NXDN CPU and DSP firmware. Eric, what DSP firmware were you on when you made that video? Anyone know if we can get earlier versions of EZScan for the 1080? I don't think I have the earlier version anymore.

BTW, Thank you for making this possible. It's always fun to try new things with older scanners. Makes the hobby exciting.
__________________
Too many scanners and radios to use at one time, But I'm trying!

Last edited by sibbley; 12-18-2016 at 6:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 6:01 PM
pro106import's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbley View Post
There is a video on RR showing Eric's PSR-800 doing DMR. Maybe all that is needed is the Pre NXDN CPU and DSP firmware. Eric, what DSP firmware were you on when you made that video? Anyone know if we can get earlier versions of EZScan for the 1080? I don't think I have the earlier version anymore.
You still need a way to load the firmware even if you had it. That is why Eric went through all this work to make this program.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 6:11 PM
sibbley's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Posts: 980
Default

Didn't Whistler give folks a way to revert their firmware back after one of the more recent updates?
__________________
Too many scanners and radios to use at one time, But I'm trying!
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 6:12 PM
pro106import's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbley View Post
Didn't Whistler give folks a way to revert their firmware back after one of the more recent updates?
Yes using a PC application. But the first thing it does is check the radio for what type it is.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 6:15 PM
sibbley's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Posts: 980
Default

Yeah, sorry. I'm so used to swapping firmware with the Unidens, I keep forgetting the only way to get the Whistler firmware is through the CPU updater.
__________________
Too many scanners and radios to use at one time, But I'm trying!
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 6:20 PM
pro106import's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbley View Post
Didn't Whistler give folks a way to revert their firmware back after one of the more recent updates?
Here is the link to download previous versions, in case you are still interested.
https://whistlergroup.com/pages/scan...vious-versions
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 6:21 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 2,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro106import View Post
You can't use the direct PC app on a scanner that it isn't intended for. It won't initiate.
I know that.
I was looking for the actual firmware BIN file extracted from the executable installer on Whistler's site.

They do not have CPU 4.3 on their site but do have 4.2 and 4.1 but I don't know how to extract the .bin FW file from them.
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 7:50 PM
trp2525's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 548
Default

I've been following this thread very closely and was wondering if anyone can confirm that a real/genuine Whistler WS1080 is working just fine with both DMR and P25 transmissions after being updated to the very latest CPU Firmware version 4.4 and DSP Firmware version 3.0. The reason I mention this is that both of those updates were just released on Thursday, 12/15, just 3 days ago. I wonder if Whistler possibly "broke something" with those updates for the WS1080 and that is why we are seeing the problems that are being posted in this thread.

The other interesting thing that I noticed is that in the DSP Firmware version 3.0 release notes for the WS1080 it states "Add support for NXDN." AFAIK NXDN support was never intended for release to the WS1080 because it lacked the necessary memory capacity in comparison to the TRX-1. Could the DSP version 3.0 release for the WS1080 be an error on Whistler's part and perhaps the latest/current DSP should have remained at the previous version 2.3 for the WS1080? Maybe that's why DMR and P25 are not working on our PSR-800 and PRO-668 scanners that we have "converted" to WS1080 scanners?
__________________
trp2525
RCA 16S400, Regency HX1500, PRO-2006, PRO-197, PRO-668, BC950XLT, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, Motorola Minitor II, Antenna Specialists MON731
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 7:56 PM
pro106import's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
I've been following this thread very closely and was wondering if anyone can confirm that a real/genuine Whistler WS1080 is working just fine with both DMR and P25 transmissions after being updated to the very latest CPU Firmware version 4.4 and DSP Firmware version 3.0. The reason I mention this is that both of those updates were just released on Thursday, 12/15, just 3 days ago. I wonder if Whistler possibly "broke something" with those updates for the WS1080 and that is why we are seeing the problems that are being posted in this thread.

The other interesting thing that I noticed is that in the DSP Firmware version 3.0 release notes for the WS1080 it states "Add support for NXDN." AFAIK NXDN support was never intended for release to the WS1080 because it lacked the necessary memory capacity in comparison to the TRX-1. Could the DSP version 3.0 release for the WS1080 be an error on Whistler's part and perhaps the latest/current DSP should have remained at the previous version 2.3 for the WS1080? Maybe that's why DMR and P25 are not working on our PSR-800 and PRO-668 scanners that we have "converted" to WS1080 scanners?
I can answer the first part. I did the upgrade to the 4.4 on my 1088 a few min. after the release and everything has been working fine since then. I really did not notice any change with anything, and I monitor several hundred DMR stations.
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 8:06 PM
trp2525's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro106import View Post
I can answer the first part. I did the upgrade to the 4.4 on my 1088 a few min. after the release and everything has been working fine since then. I really did not notice any change with anything, and I monitor several hundred DMR stations.
So just for accurate data points, you did the 4.4 CPU Firmware update on a WS1088 and not on a WS1080? Also did you update the DSP Firmware to version 3.0 in conjunction with the 4.4 CPU Firmware update?
__________________
trp2525
RCA 16S400, Regency HX1500, PRO-2006, PRO-197, PRO-668, BC950XLT, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, Motorola Minitor II, Antenna Specialists MON731
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 8:12 PM
pro106import's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
So just for accurate data points, you did the 4.4 CPU Firmware update on a WS1088 and not on a WS1080? Also did you update the DSP Firmware to version 3.0 in conjunction with the 4.4 CPU Firmware update?
Yes to both. WS-1088 and did the DSP 3.0 after the firmware update. But first did the update on the EZ-Scan app.
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 8:17 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 1,896
Default

Hello,

I did some testing and got the same results as other people. Loading WS-1080 CPU 4.4 and DSP 3.0 causes the scanner not to receive P25 or DMR. So I suggest people hold off using the transcoding feature.

My setup was working with CPU 4.1, so I went back to that version and had the same problem. I suspect that it is the DSP 3.0 file. I do not have any method to load previous versions of DSP at this time.

I wonder if "real" WS-1080 scanners are working with CPU 4.4 and DSP 3.0 as this could be a problem with Whistler providing the wrong DSP file when updating the WS-1080 firmware. The only change mentioned for DSP 3.0 was the addition of NXDN.

Sorry that I released this without testing it with the latest release. I mainly checked that the new firmware loaded properly.

Sorry that you will have to wait some more until I figure this problem out. Fortunately I do have previous dsp files, but no method to load them in the scanner.

So do not bother to use the utility to load WS-1080 firmware at this time.

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 8:18 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 1,896
Default

Hello,

The WS-1080 and WS-1088 use the same firmware.

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 8:33 PM
pro106import's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Posts: 1,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
I wonder if "real" WS-1080 scanners are working with CPU 4.4 and DSP 3.0 as this could be a problem with Whistler providing the wrong DSP file when updating the WS-1080 firmware. The only change mentioned for DSP 3.0 was the addition of NXDN.
Here is the readout from EZScan from my WS-1088 when checking for all updates: And the radio works as it did before the updates.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2016, 9:57 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro106import View Post
Here is the readout from EZScan from my WS-1088 when checking for all updates: And the radio works as it did before the updates.
Hello,

Thanks for the information. I will need to look at this further. It would be interesting to see if this works on the WS-1080 as well, since it more closely matches the Pro-668. CPU 4.1 and DSP 2.2 did work in my Pro-668.

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions