RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 8:58 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

My PSR-800 has exhibited problems with the USB connection and it seemed like an otherwise good cable did not work. My Pro-668 still had some problems, but worked better. It seems improved with the WS-1080 firmware, but it might also be the drivers.

I also think part of the problem was I did not wait long enough for the scanner to be recognized by the computer. Now I wait for the device attach sound to play. Sometimes it takes about 10 seconds. I also thought the rescan function on the settings dialog did not work, but it was due to the delay when plugging in the scanner.

73 Eric
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2017, 3:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
Hello,

My PSR-800 has exhibited problems with the USB connection and it seemed like an otherwise good cable did not work. My Pro-668 still had some problems, but worked better. It seems improved with the WS-1080 firmware, but it might also be the drivers.

I also think part of the problem was I did not wait long enough for the scanner to be recognized by the computer. Now I wait for the device attach sound to play. Sometimes it takes about 10 seconds. I also thought the rescan function on the settings dialog did not work, but it was due to the delay when plugging in the scanner.

73 Eric
My Pro-668 was always pickier about this than my Pro-18 was. My old Windows 7 machine that somebody stole would recognize either of them much more quickly than this Windows 10 garbage I'm now using does. But I learned early on to give the computer and scanner plenty of time to complete their "handshake" before doing a FW or DSP check. I only ever programmed my Pro-18 SD via USB once, when I first got it...wasted little time finding an adapter to load the card directly. So FW & DSP checks (weren't ever any updates that I can recall, maybe one when I first got the 18) were all I ever actually plugged in the radios for.

Both radios respond better to USB communication now with the 1080 FW.
Old 03-17-2017, 5:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The tool does not seem to work with the new 4.6 firmware that was released today.
Old 03-17-2017, 5:40 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasFBG2 View Post
The tool does not seem to work with the new 4.6 firmware that was released today.
Hello,

Yes, as it has not been fixed and tested. Version 4.5 is the highest version that can be used.

It is likely Whistler implemented the new firmware obfuscation scheme on 4.6, so it may never be available for trying the experiment.

So it is back to finding Version 4.5 again.

73 Eric
Old 03-17-2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Yes, as it has not been fixed and tested. Version 4.5 is the highest version that can be used.

It is likely Whistler implemented the new firmware obfuscation scheme on 4.6, so it may never be available for trying the experiment.

73 Eric
That convenience was short lived! at least we got an update for ezscan that fixes and adds some things. See the sticky in the whistler thread.

Last edited by Wackyracer; 03-17-2017 at 5:59 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2017, 5:57 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The file size is 513KB on the 4.6 vs 363KB on the 4.5

So I think they added something in there.

I saved the 4.5 file before trying and it reloaded the 4.5 file fine. So its still good.
Old 03-17-2017, 7:15 PM

Same issue here...

Wonder what the bandplan changes were...

Grateful for what changes/features could be implemented thanks to Eric.

Last edited by milcom_chaser; 03-17-2017 at 7:17 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 03-17-2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasFBG2 View Post
The file size is 513KB on the 4.6 vs 363KB on the 4.5.
That is interesting the file is so much larger given this comment in the release notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerWendy View Post
CPU RELEASE NOTES

WS1080/88 v4.6:
* Changes to CAN and UK bandplans
* Bug fix in "update from library" when CONV objects have been deleted
* Add digital mode filtering to Limit Search (and Tune)
* Distinct tones when enabling/disabling scan lists in menus
* Zeromatic enhancements
* Add 'tune mode' to top Search menu
* Code size reductions
I wonder what they added?
Old 03-17-2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Hello,

73 Eric
4.6 files size is 512 k
Old 03-17-2017, 10:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hello,

73 Eric
Isn't it saved in the directory if you already did the update?
Can't you extract it back out of the radio?
Old 03-18-2017, 3:35 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
Isn't it saved in the directory if you already did the update?
Can't you extract it back out of the radio?
Yes it is saved if you already did the update.

However for those people that have not done the update yet the tool will download 4.6 and wont work. So those people will need to have someone send them the 4.5 file so they can update to dmr.
Old 03-18-2017, 6:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Yes just tried it myself both ways with no luck.
Happy running 4.5 all the same, at least its improved both my 800's
Thanks again to you Eric for making the tool possible, certainly breathed new life into my 800's
Cheers
Matt

Your source of scanning in the Southern Tablelands NSW.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ot0tot View Post
That is interesting the file is so much larger given this comment in the release notes.

I wonder what they added?
Hello,

The increase in file size is likely due to the changed obfuscation. The firmware file is converted to a fixed size container that can hold the largest possible firmware. EZ Scan removes this obfuscation, which is why the EZ Scan program must be updated first. This also prevents any third-party firmware updaters being used.

It might be possible to work around this, but I have to tread carefully. People outside the US have more leeway. I also have the feeling that any work around would be more complicated and not easily translated to something a typical user could do.

73 Eric
Old 03-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Hello,

The increase in file size is likely due to the changed obfuscation. The firmware file is converted to a fixed size container that can hold the largest possible firmware. EZ Scan removes this obfuscation, which is why the EZ Scan program must be updated first. This also prevents any third-party firmware updaters being used.

It might be possible to work around this, but I have to tread carefully. People outside the US have more leeway. I also have the feeling that any work around would be more complicated and not easily translated to something a typical user could do.

73 Eric
My 'GUESS' is it is a direct result of some outstanding work by a very talented person!
Old 03-18-2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Hello,

73 Eric
It would nice if we could have an application that could change PRO668 so that the EZscan software would see it as a real WS1080.
Old 03-18-2017, 2:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamradiostuffing View Post
It would nice if we could have an application that could change PRO668 so that the EZscan software would see it as a real WS1080.
At the risk of offending you, I'm just going to say, "Don't be greedy." My attitude is that both of my RS scanners work far better now than they did with their stock FW. I had to give up on the Pro-18 after Grecom left the scanner business, and on the -668 after the RS bankruptcy kerfuffle. Eric's hard work gave both of them new life. The -18 did not even have p.2 decode, record, all 200 scan lists, any V-scanner folders, and the list goes on. For me, this is all pure gravy and I refuse to take the attitude that future Whistler updates "should" be made compatible with my RS radios...regardless of who built them.

Sometimes, "enough" just has to be enough.
Old 03-18-2017, 3:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Amen, beautifully stated.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 5:58 PM

Cool don't agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
At the risk of offending you, I'm just going to say, "Don't be greedy."
Was just suggesting I different approach that might be easier for Eric or person with his skill.
Old 03-19-2017, 2:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We just all need to get together and not buy any new radios from Whistler for a month to show that they need to listen to the market about making bastardized firmwares for different versions.

David
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf435 View Post
We just all need to get together and not buy any new radios from Whistler for a month to show that they need to listen to the market about making bastardized firmwares for different versions.

David
That problem was solved when they bought grecom and they won't make scanners for Radio Shack anymore.
SO, now you can only buy NEW Whistler scanners that use ...wait for it .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

WHISTLER firmware!
Closed Thread