RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2017, 7:59 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would like to add sources for the EZ Scan and IScan for the 3 scanners to the wiki- the RS scanners are especially important since the RS website is slowly collapsing. Did I read that the 668 software is available on the PRO-668 Facebook page? What about their Yahoo group (if it has one)? Ad what about the much older PRO-18 - same deal (Facebook or Yahoo group)?

Stuff for the PSR-800 is still available - for now, anyway - on the GRE America page which I already have

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2017, 7:59 PM

After you download 4.6 do you put the file into grfetool? Or what are the steps in putting the file into grfetool thanks a head of time.
Old 03-26-2017, 8:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3jjz View Post
Looking at the preparations instructions, they read a bit sloppy, logically speaking. There are a couple of points here, and it may well be that I am missing something;

a. Regardless of what version firmware you are using, you must have the original driver of the radio working, a copy of the WS1080 driver and the most recent version of EZ-Scan for the 1080. These steps should be listed first, since they are common to all procedures

b. If you wish to use firmware version 4.6, you must get the 4.6 firmware from the dropbox, then install GREFWtool version 0.3.1.5. If you have 0.3.0.4, upgrading it is unnecessary

c. If you wish to use firmware version 4.5, you must get the 4.5 firmware from the dropbox, then install GREFWtool version 0.2..0.3

d. If you wish to use firmware version 3.8, you must get the 3.8 firmware from the dropbox, and install GREFWTool version 0.3.x.x (per an earlier message, this version can handle past versions of the firmware)

This reads far smoother and much more logical. This better isolates the procedures based on the firmware desired. Did I miss something? Mike
When I wrote the instructions there was no drop box source and in the future there may not be a drop box source to download from as those links in the past have disappeared for what ever reason.

If Eric updates the tool to incorporate the new code, then the download feature in the tool will work again and the only need for drop box links will be for older firmware and not the current version.
Old 03-26-2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyracer View Post
When I wrote the instructions there was no drop box source and in the future there may not be a drop box source to download from as those links in the past have disappeared for what ever reason.

If Eric updates the tool to incorporate the new code, then the download feature in the tool will work again and the only need for drop box links will be for older firmware and not the current version.
Is it just copy and paste the 4.6 file into grfetool?
Old 03-26-2017, 8:39 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyracer View Post

If that happens, it makes the last 3 steps a snap to modify. I'll do the rearrangement, and I think it will read a whole lot better

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2017, 8:30 AM

Eric: Thanks to you, I upgrade my pro668 to whistler 4.6 from 4.5, NO problem, all work fine, its awesome!!, crongratulations and keep progress.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

If Version 4.7 is released, then it is possible that the obfuscation scheme will change again and we will go through the same iterations again.

I have given some thought about adding the new code to the tool. I think it would open me up to more liabilities without much benefit. I have to tread carefully not to be part of the unintended consequences of US laws.

People outside of the US may have less restrictions as far as these issues. Since the tool is open source, they can do a fork and add the feature. They could also do a separate tool to undo the new obfuscation scheme. I rather stay with the current situation for stability. Otherwise I think this will devolve into move and countermove with many solutions du jour.

I wanted this to be a fun project and experiment. The WS-1080 is pretty much EOL, so I do not expect many more firmware updates.

73 Eric
Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Smile Eric C.

Thanks for all you done Sir.
We don't want you get into trouble.BTW what does EOL stand for?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Wink If Whistler is Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
Hello,

If Version 4.7 is released, then it is possible that the obfuscation scheme will change again and we will go through the same iterations again.

I have given some thought about adding the new code to the tool. I think it would open me up to more liabilities without much benefit. I have to tread carefully not to be part of the unintended consequences of US laws.

People outside of the US may have less restrictions as far as these issues. Since the tool is open source, they can do a fork and add the feature. They could also do a separate tool to undo the new obfuscation scheme. I rather stay with the current situation for stability. Otherwise I think this will devolve into move and countermove with many solutions du jour.

I wanted this to be a fun project and experiment. The WS-1080 is pretty much EOL, so I do not expect many more firmware updates.

73 Eric
If Whistler is smart they will just let the WS1080 fade into the sunset along with the Radio Shack Pro 668. The flash memory limit will finally reach its maximum folks will be forced to buy a new model. Just who is going to sell a rebranded version of Whistler Products and why would Whistler do that again? I think they should stop worrying about it and look at the Long term sales of future products. After all the Pro 668 users could be future Whistler customers. So just let Radio Shack pass into the sunset and leave at that. After all it not the fault of Pro 668 users Radio Shack is dying. Just a thought.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 AM

Eric: Thank you for all your work, yes, we are people living outside from US and your support its importan for us, because at least in my country there is very limited assistence tech, here (Mexico), rules are a little bit less restricted, so we are fine., again thank you for your time and excellent work.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:21 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy2 View Post
Thanks for all you done Sir.
We don't want you get into trouble.BTW what does EOL stand for?
Hello,

EOL = End-of-Life

The TRX-1 and TRX-2 are basically replacements for the WS-1080/WS-1095 series. It is great that Whistler is updating the older models, but that will end at some point.

73 Eric
Old 03-27-2017, 1:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Hello,

EOL = End-of-Life

The TRX-1 and TRX-2 are basically replacements for the WS-1080/WS-1095 series. It is great that Whistler is updating the older models, but that will end at some point.

73 Eric

Yes they will stop updating for sure.
Old 03-27-2017, 7:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3jjz View Post
I already have the official link from the Whistler page for the 1080 driver in the wiki, but thanks anyway

Mike
Well then I guess you can remove that portion of my post concerning the driver along with the link then if you would. No sense duplicating or possibly annoying Whistler with it if its not needed.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Thanks All!

Just wanted to say... You guys Rock!

I just updated my Pro-688. My reason to update is so I can 'limit search' for DMR. According to my experience, it would not let you search for digital on the previous v4.5. v4.6 seems to allow you to do so, now.

Awesome!
Old 03-28-2017, 4:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hello,

73 Eric
Thank you for all the work, Eric. You rock!
My PSR800 is now at ver. 4.6 and working fine on all fronts. If they don't issue further upgrades, this will still be a working radio until everything goes encrypted!
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 AM

Purchased a Pro-18 from RR Classifieds last week and arrived today and had no problems upgrading to FW 4.6 with the steps given here.

Props to the author !!!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thank You to Eric and everyone else that helped. Successfully migrated my stock 668 to the Whistler 1080. It was very easy and the process went seamlessly.
very 73,
Bob
Old 03-30-2017, 8:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Eric, thank you so much for your work. Another painless upgrade, and this scanner is killing it.
Old 04-01-2017, 3:13 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks Ghost, for the link. much appreciated.
Cheers

Your source of scanning in the Southern Tablelands NSW.
Old 04-01-2017, 2:40 PM

A bit lost. Trying to update from 4.5 to 4.6 Getting error Transcode not supported for this scanner or version of firmware ? Past updates no problem and I downloaded 4.6 from links posted here