RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 12:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyams View Post
Does 4.6 work on the Pro-18? Currently running 4.5. Saw some posts on the size/memory issues and never understood if would work on the Pro-18. Many thanks.
It was stated elsewhere by someone who should know that, aside from the absence of the programmable LED, the Pro-18 and the PSR-800 are "electrically identical." Mine has worked great with all of these updates; I still get a happy face watching it decode DMR. For reasons that no doubt made sense to someone at the time, the Pro-18 was given limited capabilities due to crippled firmware...thankfully, it wasn't crippled physically.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyams View Post
Does 4.6 work on the Pro-18? Currently running 4.5. Saw some posts on the size/memory issues and never understood if would work on the Pro-18. Many thanks.
4.6 working at its best on my 18
Old 04-09-2017, 1:34 PM

Mods: maybe the sticky can be renamed to Radio Shack PRO-668 / Pro-18 loaded with Whistler DMR firmware

since both models are compatible with the upgrade
Old 04-09-2017, 2:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco-Jerte View Post
Mods: maybe the sticky can be renamed to Radio Shack PRO-668 / Pro-18 loaded with Whistler DMR firmware

since both models are compatible with the upgrade
You should add the PSR-800 to the title since it works with the transcoded FW as well.

Personally, I'd be fine with just leaving it alone. Let people do at least some of their own reading/research. Sometimes it seems to me that there is way too much spoon-feeding going on around here...but then my friends don't call me "the old grouch" for nothing, I suppose!
Old 04-09-2017, 2:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
You should add the PSR-800 to the title since it works with the transcoded FW as well.

Personally, I'd be fine with just leaving it alone. Let people do at least some of their own reading/research. Sometimes it seems to me that there is way too much spoon-feeding going on around here...but then my friends don't call me "the old grouch" for nothing, I suppose!
I agree,too much spoon feeding...you have to be able to use google or you will never be able to to do the update!
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2017, 3:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It was brought to my attention that in version 4.6 "Set location" the setting to allow for programing via zip code is not in v4.6 but is in ver 4.5 .

Can I get as many of those that read this thread to confirm this?
Old 04-09-2017, 3:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Here is the fix that was posted in the Pro668 facebook group....

You have to enable it first via: Program Menu > Global Setting > and then scroll up to "LocationSelect" as it is the last thing in the long list. It has to have check mark in the box to be enabled.
Old 04-09-2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post

well since this is a Radio Shack thread, PSR-800 is GRE
Old 04-09-2017, 4:31 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well instead of all the searching which I've seen recommended in other threads, you could just link to the wiki page which contains not only the instructions, but the Dropbox links to the firmware (they're still there as I write this) as well as the Whistler links for EZ Scan and the 1080 driver...

Loading WS1080 Firmware to a PRO-668 - The RadioReference Wiki

There's also a link for the GRE PSR-800 stuff in case it's needed; however, I don't have one for the PRO-18 or 668. If someone can supply them, they can be added to the article. It might be important given that RS is in their final death throes

If there are things about the instructions you don't like, feel free to change it. The wiki is open to all members (except for a few pages needed to maintain structure or policy related). The only thing I did do was to move the common preparation steps - which are the same regardless of the firmware you use- in front for clarity. Mike
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Like all the other forums I have or am currently a member of, SEARCH (as in research) IS YOUR FRIEND! Seems ppl are brought up to being spoon fed, and the trend isn't reversing anytime soon I fear... I would offer a suggestion this started sometime around the 60's but have nothing to back that statement. Just that about that time everyone started 'tuning out' and 'turning on'. JMHO...
Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Default 4.6 1080 software

With 4.6 1080 software, has anyone had a problem when doing a limit search it does not stop on active transmissions and not being able to open the squelch either. Maybe it's a setting somewhere in the 1080 software? Everything else is working great. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2017, 12:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleSycho View Post
Like all the other forums I have or am currently a member of, SEARCH (as in research) IS YOUR FRIEND! Seems ppl are brought up to being spoon fed, and the trend isn't reversing anytime soon I fear... I would offer a suggestion this started sometime around the 60's but have nothing to back that statement. Just that about that time everyone started 'tuning out' and 'turning on'. JMHO...
I think it started when people started (after being brainwashed to do so) putting their children up on pedestals and worshipping them instead of raising them to be self-sufficient individuals who could actually think and figure things out. My only "college" degree is from that famous School of Hard Knocks...but it has served me well.

Back OT, 4.6 continues to work extremely well in my scanners. Now have a TRBO system in them and while it's not very active, when it talks, I hear it!
Old 04-17-2017, 4:19 PM

Default 4.6 Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngel View Post
With 4.6 1080 software, has anyone had a problem when doing a limit search it does not stop on active transmissions and not being able to open the squelch either. Maybe it's a setting somewhere in the 1080 software? Everything else is working great. Anyone have any suggestions?
So i did some testing and reverted back to 4.5. It seems when you go back to 4.5 the squelch can be opened up in a search and it stops on active transmissions now again in a search. I tried going back to 4.6 again and had the same problem noted above. Will stay on 4.5 for now.
Old 04-19-2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngel View Post
So i did some testing and reverted back to 4.5. It seems when you go back to 4.5 the squelch can be opened up in a search and it stops on active transmissions now again in a search. I tried going back to 4.6 again and had the same problem noted above. Will stay on 4.5 for now.
loading 4.5 and 4.6 on my Pro18 cant tell any difference in search. So staying on 4.6
Old 04-19-2017, 9:10 PM

Default In Need of WS-1080 Firmware

I've been reviewing the great work that Eric has done and would love to take advantage of it, I've downloaded the tool, but I;m in need of the v4.5 WS-1080 firmware, Can someone point me to it or send it to me? Thanks! My e-mail address is martyw@prodigy.net, Thanks again,

Marty
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2017, 9:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyWoj View Post
I've been reviewing the great work that Eric has done and would love to take advantage of it, I've downloaded the tool, but I;m in need of the v4.5 WS-1080 firmware, Can someone point me to it or send it to me? Thanks! My e-mail address is martyw@prodigy.net, Thanks again,

Marty
Google is your friend!!! Google "loading ws1080 firmware"
Old 04-20-2017, 3:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyWoj View Post

Marty
Number one you want 4.6 not 4.5.

Number two links are in this thread

Number three the admin has placed the links in the Wiki as well.

There is a search window on this forum, its beneficial to use it.
Old 04-20-2017, 4:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Odd issue

I converted a 668 for a friend the other day and had a little trouble. I'd just accessed the transcoded/fixed 4.6 from the Downloads folder when I did my scanners...I decided to clean things up a bit and put all the pertinent files etc in a new folder and when I tried to access 4.6 it showed up as the original too-big unmodified size, though it was the correct size in Downloads. Repeated C&P of the file caused the same issue. So I just directed the tool back to the Downloads folder and it worked just fine. Odd.

Y'all don't suppose Whistler is installing malware on our machines with the latest E-Z scan update to un-modify the FW files, do ya? (/tinfoil hat ON)
Old 04-21-2017, 8:39 AM

Default Thanks to all who replied through this thread and to me personally.

Appreciate the help! I'm up and running on 4.5. Still reading posts on 4.6. I think I'll give it a go since you all seam to be doing OK with it, and I have the 4.5 files to go back if needed. Again thank you for your help and thank you Eric for your great work!!

Regards,

Marty
Old 04-22-2017, 5:51 PM

Clearly off topic of the main thread, however speaking to what search is doing to us...
https://qz.com/961379/googles-search...t-us-to-think/

I'm sure any discussion will get moved by a mod. They can do with this as necessary to meet policy.