RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2017, 8:48 AM

Default bleary-eyed and I must have missed something

668 to 1080 at 2am:

When I'm in EZScan and select the DSP Update- I don't want EZ scan to do it, I want the special smaller 4.6 file that I already have parked in a folder- how do I do that, and do I do that at this step?
And the CPU is at Rev1 (original RS level) - do I want to allow it to update the CPU too?

And last question- how to load the Whistler Driver? I downloaded it and the EZ files from Whistler, but when I pull-up the Whistler driver, it is just at text file with commands. Where/how do I load their software?

I read the directions 5 times, but after spending from 10pm to 2am, I'm throwing in the towel as the alarm clock awaits me for work.

Thanks friends...
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2017, 9:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What version of Windows are you using? Are you able to set the clock as mentioned here?

Loading WS1080 Firmware to a PRO-668 - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike
Old 04-25-2017, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyelectron View Post
668 to 1080 at 2am:

When I'm in EZScan and select the DSP Update- I don't want EZ scan to do it, I want the special smaller 4.6 file that I already have parked in a folder- how do I do that, and do I do that at this step?
And the CPU is at Rev1 (original RS level) - do I want to allow it to update the CPU too?

And last question- how to load the Whistler Driver? I downloaded it and the EZ files from Whistler, but when I pull-up the Whistler driver, it is just at text file with commands. Where/how do I load their software?

I read the directions 5 times, but after spending from 10pm to 2am, I'm throwing in the towel as the alarm clock awaits me for work.

Thanks friends...
Your putting the cart before the horse. Read the instructions a few times, source everything then follow in order all the steps. DO NOT skip any, do not do them out of order.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

He doesn't mention Eric's upgrade tool, could he be missing that? You certainly don't want to use EZScan to upgrade.
Old 04-26-2017, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghstwolf62 View Post
He doesn't mention Eric's upgrade tool, could he be missing that? You certainly don't want to use EZScan to upgrade.
Well if he can't follow instructions then this upgrade is not for him.

#1 reason people have a problem doing this is operator error AKA: failure to follow the instructions as written.
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2017, 7:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyracer View Post
Well if he can't follow instructions then this upgrade is not for him.

#1 reason people have a problem doing this is operator error AKA: failure to follow the instructions as written.
I was trying to be nice for a change.
Old 04-26-2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngel View Post
With 4.6 1080 software, has anyone had a problem when doing a limit search it does not stop on active transmissions and not being able to open the squelch either. Maybe it's a setting somewhere in the 1080 software? Everything else is working great. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm noticing the same behavior. The squelch doesn't open, but the S shows up on the display and the search speed slows down...almost as if a data-skip feature was turned on. After 2 days of searching the 2 most popular Ham bands I wasn't picking up anything except one weak data signal.

Today I tried side-by-side with my Uniden BR330T and noticed there were many active transmissions but my Pro-668 wasn't picking them up even with the squelch all the way down. I tried swapping antennas but made no difference. I just downgraded to CPU firmware v4.5 and now the squelch opens normally and it detects everything again.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvegaz View Post
I'm noticing the same behavior. The squelch doesn't open, but the S shows up on the display and the search speed slows down...almost as if a data-skip feature was turned on. After 2 days of searching the 2 most popular Ham bands I wasn't picking up anything except one weak data signal.

Today I tried side-by-side with my Uniden BR330T and noticed there were many active transmissions but my Pro-668 wasn't picking them up even with the squelch all the way down. I tried swapping antennas but made no difference. I just downgraded to CPU firmware v4.5 and now the squelch opens normally and it detects everything again.
I have the 4.6 firmware on my 668. What exactly is the process to downgrade to 4.5? The downgrade process isn't on the wiki, and I really don't want to have to wade through a million pages of the 668-to-1080 thread. Just wanna be sure I don't screw anything up. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 10:45 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by som View Post
I have the 4.6 firmware on my 668. What exactly is the process to downgrade to 4.5? The downgrade process isn't on the wiki, and I really don't want to have to wade through a million pages of the 668-to-1080 thread. Just wanna be sure I don't screw anything up. Thanks!
The downgrade process is the same as the update process you used to update to 4.6. Update firmware -> WS1080e_U4.5.bin
Old 04-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougj7 View Post
The downgrade process is the same as the update process you used to update to 4.6. Update firmware -> WS1080e_U4.5.bin
Well, that was easy enough. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
The Wiki instructions say to use GREFwTool ver 0.2.0.3 with v4.5 firmware, so that's what I used.
Old 04-29-2017, 9:18 AM

GREFwTool v0.3.1.5 worked for downgrading from 4.6 to 4.5. Interestingly, 0.2.0.3 had problems with my COM ports, or it conflicts with another installation of GREFwTool. Either way, got it down to 4.5 with the latest version. Isn't necessary to downgrade versions to...downgrade firmware version.
Old 04-29-2017, 6:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks Guys for the awesome work you have done. My Pro 668 is now converted to WS1080. Two Thumbs Up!!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 9:50 PM

Default Limit Search Issues in 4.6 Firmware

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with limit searches using the 4.6 firmware that some have complained of in this thread (doesn't stop on active transmissions, squelch doesn't open) and that downgrading to 4.5 seems to alleviate. The reason I ask is because I really like some of the new features in 4.6 (Tune, being able to check off DMR, etc. in Spectrum Sweeper), but I really need Limit Search to work properly, which is why I've downgraded to 4.5. Just looking for experiences from others using 4.6.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:03 PM

I had the same problem also. Went back to 4.5.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with limit searches using the 4.6 firmware that some have complained of in this thread (doesn't stop on active transmissions, squelch doesn't open) and that downgrading to 4.5 seems to alleviate. The reason I ask is because I really like some of the new features in 4.6 (Tune, being able to check off DMR, etc. in Spectrum Sweeper), but I really need Limit Search to work properly, which is why I've downgraded to 4.5. Just looking for experiences from others using 4.6.

Thanks!
I did some research for my new TRX-1 which had the same problem when i got it that my pro-668 did when I upgraded to 4.6. It seems in the limit search menu you need to un-check DMR, P25, etc... and also uncheck tune , like you did in spectrum sweeper. It made my TRX-1 and pro-668 stop on transmissions again and allow me to open the squelch again. Also have no fear it will still allow you to decode P25, DMR etc... even though they are unchecked.

Last edited by ngel; 05-08-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 2:30 PM

How hard would it be to take the dmr part out of the firmware and allow the nxdn to be inserted? That way it would hopefully be small enough to fit.
Old 05-18-2017, 4:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Don't quote me but I seem to recall experts saying the radios this effects aren't capable of Nexedge but I may be wrong.

I'm sure Eric will chime in as he's the one who wrote the updater and actually understands all this.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Radio Shack PRO-668 loaded with Whistler DMR firmware

Quote:
I did some research for my new TRX-1 which had the same problem when i got it that my pro-668 did when I upgraded to 4.6. It seems in the limit search menu you need to un-check DMR, P25, etc... and also uncheck tune , like you did in spectrum sweeper. It made my TRX-1 and pro-668 stop on transmissions again and allow me to open the squelch again. Also have no fear it will still allow you to decode P25, DMR etc... even though they are unchecked.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Uncheck "Tune"? Where are you seeing that within the search menu tree? Is tune what you mean't
Closed Thread