RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
Hello,

I misspoke when I said CPU 4.1 worked. I reran some tests and found that CPU 3.9 and later did not work. Unfortunately I have not used the PSR-800 or Pro-668 for receiving P25 or DMR recently. I only tested that the firmware loading worked.

That is why this is very experimental and not mainstream. The firmware is not supported on these platforms, so any update can break something.

73 Eric
Thank you for your software hack and sharing it. I am now able to listen to the ham radio DMR repeaters in my area on my PRO 668 with the 3.8 firmware. I am surprised you released it but I am grateful.

73's
Hamradiostuffing
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2016, 11:35 AM

A clear step by step would indeed be nice at this point. There are a lot of posts with this and that and five other things.. That can lead to trouble though.. From what I gather, one just uses the magic program, it will "make the 668 into a 1080". Then you change the firmware on it to 3.8 with ezscan 1080, update DSP and you are good to go?
Old 12-20-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prplehz View Post
A clear step by step would indeed be nice at this point. There are a lot of posts with this and that and five other things.. That can lead to trouble though.. From what I gather, one just uses the magic program, it will "make the 668 into a 1080". Then you change the firmware on it to 3.8 with ezscan 1080, update DSP and you are good to go?
Does p25 traffic become affected with this? 3 I believe I read a certain version affects it.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Someone be kind enough to send me the 3.8 file? I also want to give this a go.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Go to this page https://github.com/LinuxSheeple-E/GREFwTool/wiki scroll down to where you see Firmware Update, follow the instructions.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbley View Post
Go to this page https://github.com/LinuxSheeple-E/GREFwTool/wiki scroll down to where you see Firmware Update, follow the instructions.
Thanks for that firmware update info Sibbley. Am I correct in the process though?
Old 12-20-2016, 11:57 AM

By the way.. Don't be surprised if we see updates that stop one from downgrading via files on the pc.. I suspect they may go to over the web updates only after this (If that is even possible). Just in case. I would be careful of doing any official updates if one is interested in DMR on these radios. If these things are like game consoles, this will likely be the next move, if whistler even cares..
Old 12-20-2016, 11:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You use the tool to update the CPU firmware to 3.8. Then use EZScan to update the DSP firmware to 3.0.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I also need the 3.8 file if someone would be so kind.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
By the way.. Don't be surprised if we see updates that stop one from downgrading via files on the pc.. I suspect they may go to over the web updates only after this (If that is even possible). Just in case. I would be careful of doing any official updates if one is interested in DMR on these radios. If these things are like game consoles, this will likely be the next move, if whistler even cares..
I wouldn't even suggest updating these radios in the future, until the unless the update is tested and confirmed working. I used to be very active in the FTA satellite community, and was well known. I have seen firmware downloaded that crippled and bricked satellite receivers that were not "official". Similar things are currently happening in the Android TV community. I think the old adage is, " If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". So if your radio works as you want it to, do not load any future updates except for database updates.

Last edited by muskrat39; 12-20-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Old 12-20-2016, 1:12 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

One thing I forgot to do is create a link to the readme.txt file when the program is installed. The file is there in the same directory as the program. Also for some reason I could not get the program listed on the start menu on Windows 10, that is why a shortcut appears on the Desktop.

CPU 3.8 and DSP 3.0 are likely the final versions that will work, so do not look for additional updates. It is known that CPU 3.9 through 4.4 will not decode P25 or DMR. Fortunately this is not like Apple, or other companies that force device updates.

I am surprised that Whistler pushed DSP 3.0 with the CPU 4.4 update as it only lists NXDN support. I suspect there are other changes that CPU 4.4 needs. We are fortunate that DSP 3.0 is backwards compatible, but later versions may not be compatible.

As I have said previously, this is very experimental and not mainstream. You have to be happy with the result, or buy another product that satisfies your requirements. I did the tool for my own use and to help me learn Qt. So I have no problem making the tool free and open source. An Open Source license is one of the requirements of the Qt license I am using.

73 Eric
Old 12-20-2016, 1:36 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbley View Post
You use the tool to update the CPU firmware to 3.8. Then use EZScan to update the DSP firmware to 3.0.
Thank you. I figured it out by just going for it and it works just fine. Nothing like seeing the Whistler logo on the screen below the Radio Shack logo printed on the scanner.. The thing people may overlook is setting the program so the scanner is 668 and the firmware is 1080 in the settings before flashing. That and making sure it is on the right COM port or the update firmware option will obviously be grayed out.. Other than that, easy. Thanks again to the creator of the firmware update program. I don't think they are in any legal water.. All they did was make a program to update firmware. The newest firmware 1080 doesn't work properly on the 668.. It's not his fault the older one does.... It is up to the user what they install.. Now, if the program only installed 3.8.. Might be different.. Happy Holidays and Happier Scanning all!
Old 12-20-2016, 3:09 PM

Smile pro 668 DMR and P25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusTheGreat View Post
Does p25 traffic become affected with this? 3 I believe I read a certain version affects it.
I have done a lot of testing here in my area with P25 with version 3.8 firmware and have not had any problems receiving P25 transmissions. From what I can tell it is working fine.
Old 12-20-2016, 3:14 PM

Smile CPU 3.9 through CPU 4.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
Hello,

One thing I forgot to do is create a link to the readme.txt file when the program is installed. The file is there in the same directory as the program. Also for some reason I could not get the program listed on the start menu on Windows 10, that is why a shortcut appears on the Desktop.

CPU 3.8 and DSP 3.0 are likely the final versions that will work, so do not look for additional updates. It is known that CPU 3.9 through 4.4 will not decode P25 or DMR. Fortunately this is not like Apple, or other companies that force device updates.

I am surprised that Whistler pushed DSP 3.0 with the CPU 4.4 update as it only lists NXDN support. I suspect there are other changes that CPU 4.4 needs. We are fortunate that DSP 3.0 is backwards compatible, but later versions may not be compatible.

As I have said previously, this is very experimental and not mainstream. You have to be happy with the result, or buy another product that satisfies your requirements. I did the tool for my own use and to help me learn Qt. So I have no problem making the tool free and open source. An Open Source license is one of the requirements of the Qt license I am using.

73 Eric
If I read the revision history correctly the changes only affect issues for the UK versions. I am just tickled that I can now listen to the DMR Ham repeaters in my area. Thank you again Eric.
Old 12-20-2016, 3:26 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I too can confirm that.
My 688 is now set with 3.8 CPU and 3.0 DSP, able to pick up DMR conventional, DMR capacity plus, (programming Connect plus now) and picking up a local P25 Phase 1 system with no issues. Phase 2 is two far away from my location so i cant test that.
Thank you Eric and the others (3.8 bin file) who helped. This is great.
Old 12-20-2016, 3:32 PM

Well I guess things are moving along pretty quickly now so I better go ahead and ask if anyone can share those CPU 3.8 and DSP 3.0 bin files for safe keeping when I do get that Pro-668 off layaway.

Many thanks to Eric for this awesome addition to our hobby as well, a fantastic early Christmas gift indeed.
Old 12-20-2016, 3:51 PM

I would also like to give this a try, could someone send the necessary CPU 3.8 and DSP 3.0 files?
Old 12-20-2016, 3:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Please put me on the list for the CPU 3.8 bin file (and DSP 3.0 bin if needed). Thank you in advance.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2016, 4:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'd also like a copy of that bin please.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2016, 4:53 PM

DSP 3.0 is updated from the EZScan software for the WS-1080, which can be downloaded from Whistler's website. Tips and tricks: Download the software first and use it to read your scanner (I have a PSR-800) so I'll use that as an example. After you read the scanner and verify your info in EZScan, use Erica software to update the CPU firmware to 3.8. If you downloaded it from whoever you got it from, make sure you place the .bin file in the folder for Eric's software. If you try to update it from your downloads folder you may get error messages. Be sure to change the settings to whatever scanner you are using and the WS-1080 firmware. Hold MENU, connect the USB and update the firmware. Then use EZScan to update the DSP to 3.0. Make sure you uncheck CPU or it will bring it to 4.4 and won't work. When you connect the scanner to EZScan it should automatically update your drivers. After you are done, enter some DMR stuff and reprogram your scanner. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk