Connecting Pro-106 to Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

jughandle

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I've been searching far and wide for a solution to my problem, and so far have come up with nothing that has worked.

I am running Raspbian OS on my Raspberry Pi, which is a slim build of Linux. I would like for my Pro-106 and my Raspberry Pi to communicate via the USB cable.

Wine doesn't seem to be an option, as I don't believe there is a build for the Pi OS yet. I'm not very linux-savvy, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

GrumpyGuard

This is a great question. I wish I had an answer for you. I am curious what your plans are for this setup.

jughandle

Premium Subscriber
Just want a low power computer for recording from the scanner. Also, wouldn't hurt to be able to program from the Pi.

I did pick up a USB sound card, just haven't figured out how to get it working with the pi yet, I'm pretty new to Linux.

n5ims

Basically you won't be able to program the scanner from anything but a recent Windows OS version computer. Macs won't work, Linux won't work, OS/390 won't work, etc. This leaves the Pi out as well. The scanner companies have a very closed down programming protocol and very few companies have the rights to legally use it. All of those only release Windows versions of their software (by choice or as required by their contract with the scanner makers is unknown) so it's either Windows or by hand. Sorry, but that's the way it is, like it or not.

Recording from the scanner should be easy though. Just hook the scanner's audio jack to the computer's audio in on the associated sound card (built-in, plug-in, or USB) and use the appropriate sound recorder software and you should be gold. If you can find such software for your Pi it should be pretty easy to get it working.

jughandle

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply, that's a bit disheartening.

Is there a way to listen while recording that you know of?

By default sound is output through HDMI, and the ugly input is the USB sound card. Haven't had much luck finding anything on this topic, despite the seemingly growing demand for raspi support.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.