new RS USB programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I came up with this while doing some updates and posting software links. It looks like RS is moving toward using a USB cable that, supposedly, replaces the old 20-048 and 289 cables; the link is here . Evidently in most cases you have to use the mono adapter(included) to make this work. It would be helpful to know which scanners need to use the adapter, and which don't.

We'll add this link to the RS pages shortly.

73s Mike

namrats

It was a lenghty process due a shortage of this cable (20-047) but it worked great with my pro 93. I did not need to use the extra part.
Gilbert

amusement

Yahoo Pro-95 group member "Don Starr" reports the new Radio Shack USB cable is better than the old Radio Shack EIA232 adapter. The new one is about 19.95 USD not including taxes.

TheUrge

I have one for my Pro-97 and it works great. I'm sure it being USB and not serial makes a a little differance speed wise.

ALSO I do not have to use the mono adapter for it to work on my 97, but it also works with the mono adapter in place too...

Eng74

I do not think that the mono adapter is used for any of the GRE made scanners like the 92/2067, 93/2053, 95, 96/2096, 97/2055, and 99. I would think it would be used for any scanners that the black cable was for.

VintageJon

Programed my Pro96 without the adapter.
Aquired the cable from GRE and it runs like a hose with WIN96.

73's
Jon

Al42

TheUrge said:
I have one for my Pro-97 and it works great. I'm sure it being USB and not serial makes a a little differance speed wise.
If you meant "makes little difference", you're correct. The speed of the serial port in the scanner doesn't change by making the serial cable/USB adapter a single piece. ALL it means is that 1) You can blame Radio Shack if there's something wrong with the driver, 2) you don't have to lug 2 cables around and 3) if you have another serial device that you want to run off your USB port you have to pay for a second adapter, since you can't use the GRE cable with it.

OTOH, if you have no cable, and you'll never need an adapter for another type of device, you'll save money by buying this one.

JESSERABBIT

Apology

I regret that my last reply to this thread sounded so harsh.
I should have given more consideration to what I said, AND how I said it.
If the cable works for you, go for it!
I have both serial and usb, however I really notice no difference between the two.
My set-up may be different from that of others. The way this computer is jury-rigged, it probably is.
I use programing cables for Pro-96, Pro-97, Kenwood Th-F6a. and Icom R-3. Excellent results with all, both serial and usb.
I hope this clears things up.

Cressida81

i just bought the USB cable last time i was in the shack, it works great. Last time i had tried the serial port one i was not able to get it to work with my pro 95. The usb was quick and easy.

daleduke17

I just bought that cable the other day. Works beautifully with Win96. Even has the fancy flashing light ( :p )when data is been transferred.

Only thing is trying to get the COM port set up, but, with the handy-dandy user guide it was no problem.

c_gutta

Premium Subscriber
I bought one too. Couldn't pass it it w/my employee discount. I love it. I only have to lug one cable. The USB-Serial adapter I can still use for my GPS receiver, but it was so big I hated taking it along on trips.
$24.99 plus tax.

DonS

Al42 said:
1) You can blame Radio Shack if there's something wrong with the driver
RS would probably just point you to the people who actually wrote the drivers. The drivers come directly from the USB-Serial part's manufacturer (FTDI), and are available for download at http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm (VCP drivers for the FT232BM / FT232BL).

Some users have already visited that site, because the CD doesn't include 64-bit XP drivers.

Some users don't need the CD's drivers at all. The FTDI part in the USB cable is very common, used in many other "USB-Serial" adapters. If you've ever used such an adapter, it's possible that you already have the required drivers installed. Linux users probably already have the drivers, as well - they're included in recent kernels.

amusement

I've been using FTDI USB to EIA232 cable for over 4 years with no problems.

If you use Windows XP you will need to use the CD drivers or download them from FTDI.

DonS

A discussion of the programming cable choices...

For those who might be wondering which of the available (retail or Internet) programming cables they should purchase for their GRE-made, RS-sold scanner, I thought I'd throw this out...

1. Your computer has only a serial port, no USB ports. You really only have two choices. You can buy RadioShack's 20-289 cable or the one from www.pfranc.com. I'd recommend the latter. Too many reported problems with 20-289. There are designs for superior cables, but you have to build them yourself.

2. Your computer has only USB - no serial ports, and you don't have any other "serial" devices you want to connect. Two choices again: a USB-serial adapter plus one of the cables from (1) above, or the new RS 20-047 USB cable. I'd highly recommend 20-047.

3. Your computer has only USB - no serial ports, and you have (or may soon acquire) other serial device(s) in addition to your scanner(s). You're going to need a USB-serial adapter for the "other" serial device(s). Now you need to decide how you want to connect the scanner. You can either get one of the cables in (1) above, or you can get the RS 20-047 USB cable. I recommend the USB cable - it costs $5 more (than 20-089), but is more likely to "work". You can also connect it to a separate USB port - letting you use 2 devices at once.

4. Your computer has serial and USB, and you have only the scanner. Your choices are between one of the cables in (1), or the RS 20-047 USB cable. Again, I'll recommend the latter.

5. Your computer has serial and USB, and you have (or will acquire) serial devices in addition to the scanner. Same choices as (4). If you get the 20-047 USB cable, you can connect the scanner without disconnecting the other serial device.

(In 4 and 5, you actually have another choice: a USB-Serial adapter plus one of the cables in (1). It costs more, and increases your cable count, but will give you an additional "general-purpose" serial port you can use when the scanner isn't connected.).

For most people (myself included), the 20-289 serial cable works just fine - either on a built-in serial port or when connected to a USB-Serial adapter. For other people, however, this cable's inherent design problems keep it from working on their built-in serial ports. Moving to another computer, inserting a USB-Serial adapter, or even swapping the 20-289 cable at RS for another sometimes solves the problem - sometimes it doesn't. The pfranc cable is better. The home-built cables (esp. Bill Petrowsky's) are, in my opinion, the best.

The 20-047 cable was actually designed from the start to work with past, current, and future GRE-made, RS-sold scanners. It does contain a USB-Serial converter, but does NOT contain the TIA-232 transceiver. This eliminates the 20-289 cable's problematic conversion circuit. It also lets you run at higher bit rates than '232 - if a future scanner supports such faster rates.

So... If you have USB ports on your computer, I'd recommend the 20-047 cable. If you don't have USB, you can try the 20-289 serial cable (or the alternatives).

When given the choice (i.e. your computer's hardware supports a choice) between the 20-047 and 20-289 (or other) cables, there are a few factors to consider. These include, but are not necessarily limited to, price, cable count, using multiple devices at once, and likelihood of the cable "working":
  • At worst, 20-047 does cost $5 more than 20-289. At best, it's cheaper than a USB-Serial adapter plus 20-289.
  • At worst, cable count is a wash; at best, you eliminate a USB-Serial adapter cable if you use 20-047.
  • If you only have one available serial port (with or without an adapter), 20-047 allows you to connect multiple devices at once.
  • Finally, and perhaps most importantly, 20-047 is more likely (than 20-289, at least) to work.

(A note to head off a question: No, I don't receive any benefits from RS's sales of the 20-047 USB cable - unless you count the lack of 20-289-related support requests as a benefit (and I do!).)

namrats

choice B

do what i had to do....my new computer accepts USB connections only...so i had to sell my serial cable to someone that needed it and went ahead and purchased 20-047 cable for the usb port. NO adapter needed

Al42

DonS said:
For those who might be wondering which of the available (retail or Internet) programming cables they should purchase for their GRE-made, RS-sold scanner, I thought I'd throw this out...

1. Your computer has only a serial port, no USB ports. You really only have two choices. You can buy RadioShack's 20-289 cable or the one from www.pfranc.com. I'd recommend the latter. Too many reported problems with 20-289. There are designs for superior cables, but you have to build them yourself.
There's a third class of choices:

Casio, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu and, I'm sure others, make a cable for their devices that use the same technology that GRE does. If you have one, try it. (Most of them require a cheap stereo[cable side] to mono [scanner side] adapter.)

VintageJon

Have noted "port gliche" once but if you close WIN96 and reopen it the gliche disappears.

I have a USB hub that makes it simple to run scanner, printer, and camera off the same USB connector. They aren't that expensive...

73's,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.