Scanner suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGVOLFF

Premium Subscriber
I currently have a Pro-96 and it works awesome for most of what i listen to. I live near the space center in florida and they use a 300mhz Motorola system. I pick up the control channel but no talk groups. I am looking to possibly upgrade to something that is just as reliable but not too expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I currently have a Pro-96 and it works awesome for most of what i listen to. I live near the space center in florida and they use a 300mhz Motorola system. I pick up the control channel but no talk groups. I am looking to possibly upgrade to something that is just as reliable but not too expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
The 380 frequencies used are outside the frequency range of the Pro-96. It covers 216-225MHz, then a gap before picking up 406-512MHz.

I realize that, via software, you can 'open up' the frequency range to receive those, as you can also do with 700MHz frequencies. However, while the scanner can receive those 'extended frequencies', it will not trunk track 700MHz systems, and I suspect this may also be the case with the frequencies used in this system (roughly 386 to just under 389MHz).

Look for a good condition P25 Phase I scanner that will cover this range. Among others, the BCD396T & -XT, PSR-500, Pro-106, WS1040, Pro-651, as well as the PSR-800, Pro-668, and Uniden's HP-1. Of course, all of the current model scanners, most of which also handle P25 Phase II, would also work, but would cost more. As many of the listed models are discontinued, be careful when selecting one as to condition. Service and support on the old GRE manufactured units, such as the PSR-500 and PSR-800, or anything from Radio Shack, may be spotty, if available at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.