How to tell if your scanner is lock? Pro668

Status
Not open for further replies.

nacho1337

I have a Radio shack pro 668 that is running cpu 4.6 and dsp 3.0. Also the date and time is set to year 2015. I what to send it back to Whistler to get it updated. How do you tell it locked.

Thanks

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have a Radio shack pro 668 that is running cpu 4.6 and dsp 3.0. Also the date and time is set to year 2015. I what to send it back to Whistler to get it updated. How do you tell it locked.

Thanks

It's can't be locked on DSP 3.0, if it was you would not receive DMR.

DJ11DLN

It also can't be locked if the clock date remains prior to June 30, 2017, IIRC. So setting that to an earlier date or just depowering it long enough to let the clock memory expire should keep you from getting zapped. Both of my radios are used exclusively as mobiles so I don't keep batteries in them. Both were depowered at some point for various reasons long enough to have the clock go back to the default 2010 date. Since I consider them scanners and not clocks, and since I habitually power them on as soon as I get in and start up, and since they can't flash the clock display on command while scanning, I never bothered to reset them. Blind luck on my part but it may help some others.

I also never advanced beyond 4.6/3.0 for the very good reasons that (a.) it works great for my purposes and (b.) the paid upgrade became available. I think I have my USPS problems solved (it's amazing how much a little screaming can accomplish) so I'm going to pull the trigger on that next week. Hopefully my scanners won't get sent to Abu Dhabi on the return trip, or just fall off the edge of the earth as so many other items have over the past several months.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
From Eric here is what has to be met for your scanner to loose DMR after the hack, and to be at the point you can no longer roll back the firmware (as of this writing)....

"1. CPU 4.6, and I assume later, has code to execute extra bytes in the CONFIG__.BIN file. This also creates a security hole.
2. DSP 3.1 has the M16c code payload as extra bytes at the end of the file.
3. The M16c code payload executes every time the scanner is powered up. The payload triggers if the date in the scanner is after June 2017.

All three conditions are required. When the payload triggers it disables DMR, firmware update, and closes the security hole provided by item 1."

nacho1337

Can i use Eric tool still to roll it back or should i leave it alone. It do want to send it to Whistler sometime

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Can i use Eric tool still to roll it back or should i leave it alone. It do want to send it to Whistler sometime

Currently The only way to roll it back is via Eric's tool. If your able to roll it back, then whistler can able to work with it whether or not YOU roll it back.....this indicates your scanner is not "LOCKED" as Whistler Wendy put it.

kibler

Feed Provider
Clock

It also can't be locked if the clock date remains prior to June 30, 2017, IIRC. So setting that to an earlier date or just depowering it long enough to let the clock memory expire should keep you from getting zapped. Both of my radios are used exclusively as mobiles so I don't keep batteries in them. Both were depowered at some point for various reasons long enough to have the clock go back to the default 2010 date. Since I consider them scanners and not clocks, and since I habitually power them on as soon as I get in and start up, and since they can't flash the clock display on command while scanning, I never bothered to reset them. Blind luck on my part but it may help some others.

I also never advanced beyond 4.6/3.0 for the very good reasons that (a.) it works great for my purposes and (b.) the paid upgrade became available. I think I have my USPS problems solved (it's amazing how much a little screaming can accomplish) so I'm going to pull the trigger on that next week. Hopefully my scanners won't get sent to Abu Dhabi on the return trip, or just fall off the edge of the earth as so many other items have over the past several months.
Hello DJ11DLN.....My 668 is at 3.8 and 3.0 and my current clock is setting on June 2015! Can you tell me about how long it takes for a depower to set the scanner back to default! Thanks much

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Hello DJ11DLN.....My 668 is at 3.8 and 3.0 and my current clock is setting on June 2015! Can you tell me about how long it takes for a depower to set the scanner back to default! Thanks much

The scanner itself never gets set back to "default" . Just the clock resets. The clock is the only thing that needs power to retain time. It will hold power long enough to switch batteries before it resets.

With 3.8 and dsp 3.0 you clock time will not affect or lockout your scanner. You have to have 3 things: be on firmware 4.6, the later version of dsp 3.1 and the clock has to be dated July 2017, If any one of those are missing then the zero day code Whistler put in dsp 3.1 sometime in june will not be triggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.