Pro-668: How to 'revert' from WS1080 to RS668?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleSycho

:confused: Am wanting to roll back the Eric mod to be able to send my converted WS1080 to Whistler as an original RS668 so I can get it officially updated. Is there some kind of magic steps that I need to do with the Eric tool? I HAVE NOT updated the radio since first converting it, it has;

uP Appl Ver: U4.5
DSP Voc Ver1.6, App Ver: 3.0
DSP build#: 101

So, how easy will it be to 'revert' to the original RS668 mode? Thanks in advance, for helping me get this radio 'Whistler' ready! :confused:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
:confused: Am wanting to roll back the Eric mod to be able to send my converted WS1080 to Whistler as an original RS668 so I can get it officially updated. Is there some kind of magic steps that I need to do with the Eric tool? I HAVE NOT updated the radio since first converting it, it has;

uP Appl Ver: U4.5
DSP Voc Ver1.6, App Ver: 3.0
DSP build#: 101

So, how easy will it be to 'revert' to the original RS668 mode? Thanks in advance, for helping me get this radio 'Whistler' ready! :confused:
Hello,

Whistler only has problems with "locked" scanners. I and others had no problems with modified scanners as long as Whistler's code to disable firmware updates on the scanner was not triggered. If you can still receive DMR, then it is not "locked".

Personally I prefer people not to convert back, as it shows Whistler that we are not all thieves that want DMR for free. They may be using the "hacked" notation on the repair slip to keep track.

If you do want to revert back, just change the firmware type from WS-1080 to Pro-668 in the settings. You can then download the Pro-668 firmware file and then do a firmware update with the file you downloaded.

73 Eric

Last edited:
Hello,

Whistler only has problems with "locked" scanners. I and others had no problems with modified scanners as long as Whistler's code to disable firmware updates on the scanner was not triggered. If you can still receive DMR, then it is not "locked".

Personally I prefer people not to convert back, as it shows Whistler that we are not all thieves that want DMR for free. They may be using the "hacked" notation on the repair slip to keep track.

If you do want to revert back, just change the firmware type from WS-1080 to Pro-668 in the settings. You can then download the Pro-668 firmware file and then do a firmware update with the file you downloaded.

73 Eric

My PRO 668 was receiving DMR running 4.5 firmware and 3.1 dsp loaded before July 1. I rolled back to 4.5 because it did not like 4.6. Do you think Whistler will still to do the upgrade to my Radio?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
As of today YES, they can and still will update it. It just has to work.

CycleSycho

BRICKED?

:confused: OK, tried to 'revert', the CPU update fails every time. It seems like I need the PRO668 .bin file to load up into the radio but I do not have that file. I was originally led to believe that bin file was in the tool but it isn't anywhere I can find it. Anyone have that file so I can restore my PRO668 to OEM? :confused:

w5rah

I rolled mine back yesterday and set the tool to 668 to 668 and had it retrieve the firmware. Now I'm not sure if it was already in the folder or if it retrieved it from the RS website. But when I went to write it to the scanner, the pro668 bin file was in a drop down box for me to choose. Not sure what steps you took but that is how I did mine from off the top of my head.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
:confused: OK, tried to 'revert', the CPU update fails every time. It seems like I need the PRO668 .bin file to load up into the radio but I do not have that file. I was originally led to believe that bin file was in the tool but it isn't anywhere I can find it. Anyone have that file so I can restore my PRO668 to OEM? :confused:
Hello,

The bin file is not in the tool, you need to download it by first changing the firmware type to Pro-668 and using the download function. Then you select the file you downloaded, which should have Pro668 in the filename, and do the firmware update.

73 Eric

CycleSycho

Hello,

The bin file is not in the tool, you need to download it by first changing the firmware type to Pro-668 and using the download function. Then you select the file you downloaded, which should have Pro668 in the filename, and do the firmware update.

73 Eric

:) It WORKED! Now the 668 bin file in on my computer. Did the 'revert' update with no problems. Thanks for the help folks! :)

Hello,

73 Eric

Sent mine back with the hack and it was still receiving dmr

w5rah

I think Eric has a very valid point to send in scanners with the firmware so that Whistler sees and knows most all with the hack, much prefer the official path, but when there was no path, they created their own. My concern is with the 3.1 DSP issue and not knowing what other things Whistler may potentially have in earlier versions. I reverted my 668 back yesterday and will revert my PSR-800 back tonight. Then I will send them in this week. I just hope there is an easy solution for those whose scanners are locked to the the 4.6 CPU and 3.1 DSP firmware.

There are two versions of DSP 3.1 I have an earlier version and it was still receiving DMR and when I sent it in. So it'll be interesting to see the ones that are locked are replaced with TRX 1 radios. One thing for certain there is going to be a backlash. It has started already.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Not a peep out of Whistler Wendy today on fixing radios that were locked due to WHISTLER DSP 3.1 zero day code. NOT Eric's code.

Last edited:
uP appl ver: 4.6
dsp voc ver: 1.6, app ver :3.0
dsp build #: 101

Is this safe to send in to Whistler for upgrade?

bama9999

There are two versions of DSP 3.1 I have an earlier version and it was still receiving DMR and when I sent it in. So it'll be interesting to see the ones that are locked are replaced with TRX 1 radios. One thing for certain there is going to be a backlash. It has started already.

I'd be really surprised if they were to decide to replace the locked scanners for new ones, but even if they did, I'm sure it would be more likely to be a WS1088, instead of a TRX 1.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The solution is likely more a board swap of the digital board. It is likely cheaper than giving the customer a better scanner.

Another solution also involves disassembly, but the RF shield(s) are removed from over the processor on the digital board. There are gold pads on the PC board (at least on the PSR-800) that allow hooking up a TTL serial port and control lines to activate the Renesas Flash Loader (if it still exists in the chip). This allows a new boot loader to be loaded without changing the hardware. This would likely add 1/2 to 1 hour of rework time to the update process.

73 Eric

Fasteddy2

Premium Subscriber
Pro-668

I'd be really surprised if they were to decide to replace the locked scanners for new ones, but even if they did, I'm sure it would be more likely to be a WS1088, instead of a TRX 1.

All I just want is the DMR it is in the front part of the scanner that is not working the board with the LED ...all they have to swap is the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.