Radio Shack Pro-64 Scanner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexzehn24

Hello I am new to the radio scanning world and know absolutely nothing. I picked up this radio at a local estate sale for 30 bucks. It worked when I plugged it in but I decided to reset it to see if I could add stations that I wanted to hear. After doing that I have absolutely no idea how to program it. The user manual doesn't make much since to me. I can find the local police fire and med station numbers but I dont know how to program them. Im sure this scanner is like 100 years old lol but id like to see if I can still get some life back into it. It has sooo many options for bank memory and things like that I just have no idea. I can follow instructions very well so if someone out there is willing to help that would be great. I live In South Bend/Mishawaka Indiana.

Blackswan73

What do you want to listen to? In your area, you will not be able to receive police and fire, mostly weather, taxis, air, and some railroads

alexzehn24

Why can't I listen to police and fire? Is the scanner too old? It was set up and I heard some local police but I reset it thinking I could add different things in. I shouldn't have.

wtp

even the easy stuff?

hit program
hit !
hit enter
type in a frequency.
and do that with any frequency in the database for your county.
the radio can't do any digital so skip those.
you might have heard something that sounded like the police, or might even be cops near you.
but it looks like your town went digital.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Why can't I listen to police and fire? Is the scanner too old? It was set up and I heard some local police but I reset it thinking I could add different things in. I shouldn't have.
The police and fire agencies are using a trunked radio system, https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8084

That is a digital system, and uses frequencies in the 800MHz band. Your scanner cannot decode digital transmissions, is not capable of tracking a trunked system, and also does not receive the 800MHz band. It only covers analog transmissions in the Vhf & Uhf bands.

Looking at your county in the database, I see that some of the agencies do have some Vhf or Uhf frequencies in a range your scanner covers, though a number are marked as depreciated (meaning no longer used). If they are mainly using the SAFE-T trunked system, those other frequencies might only be used as backups, and not active much of the time. You could program them just in case, but day to day operations on the trunked system are beyond the capabilities of the Pro-64. What you might have heard, before you reset it, was possibly one of more of the Vhf or Uhf channels, either being used as a backup, or perhaps patched to the trunked system to rebroadcast one or more talkgroups. Some agencies do that, simulcasting activity on selected trunked talkgroups on their old non-trunked frequencies. I do not see any notes on the database page showing that in your county, but it might occur periodically in any event.

alexzehn24

How do you tell what stations are digital? Are there any stations at all on there that you think might work that I could try? I so appreciate your help :)

wtp

ummm...

Description: Handheld 400 channel scanner. Ranges 29-54 118-174 380-512 806- 960 MHz Triple conversion

Last edited:

wtp

google

for 'pro 64 hyperscan manual ' and look for a PDF faxback doc 38252
there you can look to see how to program the radio.

alexzehn24

How Do I know my scanner is on the right band? Theres all these options and what not. Im afraid I have the scanner not set right by messing with it when I didnt know what I was doing.

Blackswan73

Because you list your location as South Bend. If correct, that puts you in St. Joseph county. St. Jo, and SBPD use the statewide SAFE T P25 digital trunking system full time. They do have analog frequencies your scanner can receive, but they are only used if the main system should break down.
St. Joseph County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

wtp

an after PM update

he is VERY new to scanning.
he thanks all for their help.
he did get it used, but it had audio at that time.
even with the squelch barely on he can't get the 162.4 NOAA station for his county.
using a paper clip in the bnc he receives nothing.
it used to have audio, when he got it.

sure it might be a broken connection to the board.

arkieguide

I have not used a scanner for a long time - but am going to set one up again. SO ! In this day and time, where do I find freq. n my area ? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.