Pro 668 not hearing talk group traffic intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this problem. I had my Pro 668 and my Pro 96 pretty much side-by-side today. Both scanners were using the stock rubber duck antennas and were scanning the same control channel for the Pitt County Viper system. I noticed that the pro-96 would pick up traffic on a talk group and the pro-68 would just keep scanning. I watched this for about two hours without changing anything. The pro-96 would stop on a talk group traffic in the pro-668 would sometimes be able to pick up the traffic and other times just continue scanning. Some of the traffic was long enough that both scanners had plenty of time to stop. Has anyone ever noticed this problem with their Pro 668? I guess I've been missing traffic at times and didn't even know it.

troymail

Silent Key
No two scanners (even of the same model, etc.) will match 1 for 1 100% of the time. There are lots of reasons for this but mostly because the scanners are not "parked" on and processing a system control channel 100% of the time (even if it's the other system/site you are monitoring).

Given (to my knowledge) that VIPER isn't simulcast, as long as you have a solid control channel signal/reception on both radios, try setting the DWELL time on the VIPER site as high as possible (I think it's 250 / 25 seconds). See if that makes a difference. Keep in mind that this means your scanner will hold on the VIPER site for 25 seconds and not scan anything else during that time.

DJ11DLN

Is the 668 "stock?" Getting it updated by Whistler to WS-1080 spec will be well worth the money. 668 factory firmware was pretty awful. Upgrading turned mine into a whole different radio.

The stock antennas are fairly bad too. It's possible the one on the 96 is a tad better than the one on the 668; either way, replacing them with something like a RH77ca or the RS/Remtronix 800 would be a definite improvement.

But Troymail is right; two scanners sitting side by side will never quite achieve parity even if they are identical models as well as in programming. And those two are entirely different animals.

SCPD

QRT
What new firmware my 668 plays ok it checks for updates from the software never any updates tho always says i have the latest from 2015 i believe

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Pro 668

Thanks all for help. I got upgrade from Whistler and that was the fix. Pro 668 is like a whole different radio now like other poster said. Well worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.