Pro-2067 rounds off the freq I want

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to monitor my local PD on 156.1575 but whenever I enter that my 2067 jumps to 156.1550

This scanner has been almost unused for 15 years because we lived in France where freqs differ and no trunking. I only used it to monitor our FRS, and have forgotten most everything about its complex ugly user interface. So it might just be me.

Or is it a rebanding issue?

Or 2067 doesn't support narrowbands?

What's the consensus on the best new scanner to buy?

thanks, Reno

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Rebanding has nothing at all to do with VHF hi frequencies. That old radio is from WAY before narrowbanding came along; however, the rounded frequency will still work; the audio may not be quite as strong, and if the signal is weak, you may lose it entirely.

It's really a loaded question to ask what is the 'best' scanner when there are SO many criteria. Just to fill you in a little, only Uniden and Whistler are actively producing scanners anymore; RS is pretty much gone, as is GRE. But there are so many RS and GRE scanners out there that we still have forums for them for support, but I wouldn't expect any from those 2 companies going forward.

We have extensive coverage, FAQs and a lot more in our wiki for most all of the new scanners; I would start by learning what is around you; get familiar with the database entries for your area. Go over to the Texas forum and start asking questions. Fellow Texans will be your best guide to what they use and what seems to work well for them. Keep in mind that 'what works well' is as much dependent on what is in your local RF Environs as the scanner and antenna you use. In short, do your homework

Mike

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
We just landed in August and my ham stuff is still in boxes. The 2067 was accidentally packed in with my socks by the movers. I'm not putting up a roof antenna in this house because it's rented. But within a few months, God willing, we'll have our own place with a shop where I can rebuild my shack and hang some wires in the air. Then I'll really be back into scanning.

Thanks for the narrowbanding info. I am out of touch. My Yaesus are neglected too. HP2 seems to be the consensus for handheld here.

I'm in the TX forum, thanks, Reno

Ubbe

I wouldn't worry too much about that small 2,5KHz error.

The FM narrow band use a max of 2.5KHz modulation and the highest audio frequency used are often 2,5KHz and you get 2x (modulation+audio freq) = 10KHz frequency deviation. Narrrow band filters in scanners are often 12KHz so you might hear a raspy sound if anyone screams into their microphone as that will let the deviation (10KHz+2,5KHz offset) go slightly outside the filters range but sensitivity are unaffected by that offset in frequency.

I constantly have to use 2,5KHz offset in my old UBC780 and I have actually never heard any distorsion on those channels.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.