RS Pro-94 programming talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

Yesterday at a hamfest I bought a Pro-94A in pristine condition. Obsolete, yes, especially for Arkansas, but hey, ten bucks and like-new condition? Gotta have it. Anyway when I got home, I was able to program some conventional channels into it, but I ran into trouble with attempting to program a trunked system's talkgroups. Since I live 75+ miles away from the nearest analog trunked system, I don't have a way to test it. How do I program the TG IDs?

Nasby

You got a great deal for ten bucks!

That scanner was a killer unit back in the day.

wtp

my pro 97

also good for conventional systems.
and will follow rebanded ones if they use the old 85X.xxx5 frequencies.
85X.xxx5 were the old 800's

wbswetnam

also good for conventional systems.
and will follow rebanded ones if they use the old 85X.xxx5 frequencies.
85X.xxx5 were the old 800's

The trunked system I programmed in is the Hot Springs Motorola II Smartnet analog system. The Pro-94 accepted the frequencies. I think that it is the only remaining analog trunked system in Arkansas. I make it down there once in a while, and the next time I go, I will take this scanner with me (among others, of course!).

Eng74

The bad thing about the Pro94 was you could not program a truck system unless you are getting the control channel. You could trick the radio by useing a nearby system's control channel to input the talk groups then put in the real systems control channel.

wtp

how to check if it is worth it

a good way to check if you can get a system is to set it up as conventional.
sure, you can't see the talkgroups, but at least you can listen for the control channel.
this also lessens the chance of bad programming.
and even an old non-trunking radio can be used to check.
if you get nothing on conventional then it is not worth the time to try trunked.

wbswetnam

The bad thing about the Pro94 was you could not program a truck system unless you are getting the control channel. You could trick the radio by useing a nearby system's control channel to input the talk groups then put in the real systems control channel.

Just an update on this thread... Recently I was able to visit Hot Springs, which has one of the last remaining analog trunked systems in Arkansas. Once I got the frequencies entered for the system and I pressed the 'Trunk' button, it came alive and it allowed me to enter the talk groups. I pressed 'Scan' and it began tracking the system in that bank. So, it works, but only allows you to program the talk groups when it is actually trunking the analog system.

It's a nice analog handheld scanner and in wonderful condition, well worth the ten dollars I paid for it. Too bad most systems in Arkansas have gone digital. I think I'll sell it on eBay and ask $40!

wtp

good to hear

and thanks for getting back to us.
yes, i see that hotsprings has the "old" 800 frequencies.
my pro-97 works for the county next to me the same way.
in the last couple of years they even added a couple of new control channels , but still followed the "old" 800's

Status
Not open for further replies.