Pro-2006: alpha tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou9155

hi guys..so i just bought a gorgous pro2006 off ebay..works great nice backlight..so i printed off about 200 local frequencys from the RRDB ..mostly mil air some county analog. took about an hour of button pushing...scans so fast but i realized i was lost with out alpha tags!...lol...ive had many old school scanners since the 80s but they were no more than 20 channels and i could remember them all...but 200 and up to 400 if i want...how do you guys keep track of your freq. hits?....just make up a list i guess?......i do love alpha tags

djeplett

hi guys..so i just bought a gorgous pro2006 off ebay..works great nice backlight..so i printed off about 200 local frequencys from the RRDB ..mostly mil air some county analog. took about an hour of button pushing...scans so fast but i realized i was lost with out alpha tags!...lol...ive had many old school scanners since the 80s but they were no more than 20 channels and i could remember them all...but 200 and up to 400 if i want...how do you guys keep track of your freq. hits?....just make up a list i guess?......i do love alpha tags
That was what made me upgrade from my PRO-2035 was no alpha tags. That and no PL/DCS decode. I ended up getting a PRO-97 so I had portability. But the newer you go the crappier the recievers perform so there is a trade-off.

I think I still have my Excel spreadsheet with all 1000 frequencies on it stored somewhere in a dusty corner of my hard drive.

YalekW

The pro-2006 was not designed for alpha tags/PL tones, including P25. It was a simple direct entry scanner that required no complications of programming in PL tones, digital squelch modes.

djeplett

The pro-2006 was not designed for alpha tags/PL tones, including P25. It was a simple direct entry scanner that required no complications of programming in PL tones, digital squelch modes.
Ummmm, yeeeaaah. The OP and I obviously know that if you read our posts... I don't understand how your statement is supposed to help the OP. Am I missing something?

lou9155

yes thats why i bought it. i have a bcd436 which i planned on setting up in my woodworking shop with its own discone. i live under the incoming glidepath for joint base mcguire . in summer time the c17s come in so low you could touch them some great milair traffic...and new jersey forest fire service is very busy too but after owning the bcd436 i realized it was horrible to listen to.. so for 40$ i bought a pro2006 and it sounds great and recieves fm broadcast excellent. im prob. gonna reprogram it with maybe 20-30 frequencys.. i love the radio chatter as i do my work.

YalekW

Ummmm, yeeeaaah. The OP and I obviously know that if you read our posts... I don't understand how your statement is supposed to help the OP. Am I missing something?

Thats funny how a person like you seems to trash others such as myself who actually did help out in making a point on how these radios work. Also, I read them, and they make some sense. But then again, once I try to make a point, it is your choice if you want to listen to the point or not.

Last edited:

wtp

alpha tags...who needs them

i am just happy to hear anything and what the message is, not too much what frequency or what it is called.
even if i go to an airshow i don't need to know it is the leader of the group , you can tell by what he says.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Back in the day when the 2006 was Boss Hawg I went down to Office Depot and bought one of those little binder notebooks
and used the dividers/banks to organize everything into columns and tables (on Word) and had a pretty good quick reference system down. When they came out with scanners that had alpha-tagging I was ecstatic. I had a notebook for each radio, and I still have them somewhere with my shortwave logs and stuff. Ahh, those were the days.

Still have the 2006, but my Go To reference list for it is now a Notepad file. Go figger.

JD
kf4anc

smason

Yeah we're spoiled now. Alpha tags, manipulate a file on the computer, then upload it to the scanner.
Control and listen to the scanner at home, from the office. Life is good.

Back when the 2006 was new we thought we were spoiled then. Tons of channels, multiple search banks, woohoo!

Then back to the 2020. Wow, 20 channels? I can enter the frequencies, I don't have to plug in crystals? Luxury!

phask

Premium Subscriber
Didn't we all :)???

I stumbled across some in an old filing cabinet a few years ago, glassine covers and all. Some were even typewritten - pre-AppleII days.

Still haccea 2004 and 2006 , or 2 or 3.

Back in the day when the 2006 was Boss Hawg I went down to Office Depot and bought one of those little binder notebooks
and used the dividers/banks to organize everything into columns and tables (on Word) and had a pretty good quick reference system down. When they came out with scanners that had alpha-tagging I was ecstatic. I had a notebook for each radio, and I still have them somewhere with my shortwave logs and stuff. Ahh, those were the days.

Still have the 2006, but my Go To reference list for it is now a Notepad file. Go figger.

JD
kf4anc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.