Pro-2042 signal strength meter mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-2035 and 2042 were great scanners, and continue to be useful for aircraft monitoring among other things. They, like their predecessors, ( 2004,5,6 ) fell short in a few areas. One of those was not having a way to visualize the relative strength of the incoming signals. Enter Bill Cheek ( RIP ). His modification handbooks allowed these scanners to be modified in many ways. He created a hardware mod, using basic parts, to allow a scanner just like the 2042 to do this. High Performance S-Meter For Pro-2003, 4, 5, 6
The problem is that there is not much information out on the web, like there is for the 2004,5,6 scanners.
Today I did an in depth look at the pc board with the schematics. I discovered the exact point where you need to tap once you build the circuit described in the link above. The diode needed is D34. It is a surface mount diode. The first pic shows the label on the PC board from the top. The diode is actually on the bottom part of the pc board. The second pic shows the actual diode labeled 2A. Notice on the left side of the diode, a path that leads downward to a solder point.THAT is where one lead of the finished circuit needs to go. The other two leads go to ground and the center pin of the outgoing signal via your choice of jack. If you tremble with a soldering iron, do NOT attempt this mod. The tap point is very small. I zoomed in a lot to get these close up pics.

Attachments

• D34 TOP.jpg
    D34 TOP.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 135
  • D34 OVERVIEW.jpg
    D34 OVERVIEW.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Overhead view of the mod. Picture 1 is of the germanium diode based circuit, and picture 2 shows a close up of the tap point.
Red wire-out to center of RCA phone jack
Black wire- ground
Green wire- tap point on D34.

Short video clip; I focused on the meter while I moved the VFO knob while on weather search:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFDgn5dgrZY

Manny

Attachments

• PERF BOARD.jpg
    PERF BOARD.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 115
  • D34 BOTTOM.jpg
    D34 BOTTOM.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.