Membrane Keypad PRO 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave524

Brought my old PRO 2004, been stored a few years, out and set it up down in my basement workshop , put a memory battery in and it turned on , all seemed good until I tried to enter a frequency , seems the 7, 8 and 9 strip on the keypad doesn't work, then the enter button stopped too. At least when the enter worked I could do limit searches but now it is effectively useless. Anyone have any experience with them, contacts to be cleaned , that sort of thing, Think it is OK other than this, BTW my PRO 2006 and 43 are still chugging along great.

edit: all the other keys work and beep when pressed as they are supposed to, 7,8,9 and enter no input or beep

bb911

My experience with other scanners of that era is that individual keys can't be fixed due to the fact that they are of the membrane type. No contacts to be cleaned. I had a couple of BCs , and the one with keyboard problems didn't even even appear to have a membrane type of keyboard, but it did.

dave524

Guess it won't hurt to take it apart and check connectors and look at the keyboard at this point, haven't had it apart since doing the cell, 400 channel and speed mod thirty some years ago LOL. Actually, I expected cold solder joints on the board and fading display to brick it before now .

dave524

Strange, yesterday I turned it on again and suddenly all the keys were working and beeping, Yahoo I thought, so I programmed in the local NOAA frequencies, 162.400and 162.475, nothing received , it accepted the frequencies , the static level increases if you crank the volume but nothing received, you can squelch the static but nothing with the squelch all the way down. So I try 107.1 the local FM broadcast channel , again nothing. Acts if if the antenna is disconnected, guess I'll undo the screws and slide it out of the case and check that connection. Strange too, I could have sworn I modded it to 400 channels but it is only scanning 30 in each of the 10 banks, for a total of 300 ???? I did try the reset on the back and retried the mentioned frequencies but to now avail. Any suggestion or imput.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The intermittent failures your radio exhibits are what would be expected when plated through holes in the printed circuit board go bad. Unfortunately more than one of the plated holes goes intermittent at one time, making logical troubleshooting almost impossible.

It is very unlikely that the antenna connection is responsible for the loss of reception. You can attach a foot-long wire to the antenna input point on the PC board to see if anything can be received.

dave524

The intermittent failures your radio exhibits are what would be expected when plated through holes in the printed circuit board go bad. Unfortunately more than one of the plated holes goes intermittent at one time, making logical troubleshooting almost impossible.

It is very unlikely that the antenna connection is responsible for the loss of reception. You can attach a foot-long wire to the antenna input point on the PC board to see if anything can be received.

Your right about the intermittent part, out of curiosity tried it today and everything works as it should , so it's not the antenna. Not going to jump on it and manually program a bunch of frequencies though LOL maybe a few limit searches, actually pulled it out to listen to FM Broadcast in my basement workshop. Still got a Pro 2006 and a Pro 43 that I use , that is why the 2004 was stashed gathering dust. Thanks for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.