Pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, 1st post, complete dumbass here so bear with.. It took me 20 minutes to wade through how to post this.
My SIL is VFD, I’m LEO with SO, Former ARMY 101st AB, sergeant with PERT for NCDOC and 2nd amorer
yada yada....
I’m a lot of things or former things but one thing I’m not is a tech wiz.
Question is how does one work the RadioShack Pro-164?
It’s being brought out of retirement so to speak so wife can listen in.
She works at local hospital.
The freqencies are already programmed. I have no clue on banks, trunks, etc.
It worked up until it didn’t a few months ago.
Yes, it has power. Yes, good antenna. Squelch, etc.
I don’t want a “watch a video” response.
I need some type of for dummies explainantion to get it back to receiving signals.
It’s in top notch shape, yes, sounds “typical”, it actually is.
I can read an instruction manual but I always had local RadioShack handle it.
No, I don’t have a cable to connect to computer and Scancat won’t pick up phone.

TL;DR
Radio Shack PRO 164
A button was touched somewhere and it’s not scanning squat but the NC Forest Service.
Need a step by step so it picks up stuff again so wife will stop worrying me and SIL.
Jdavis2180@windstream.net

N8IAA

Hey guys, 1st post, complete dumbass here so bear with.. It took me 20 minutes to wade through how to post this.
My SIL is VFD, I’m LEO with SO, Former ARMY 101st AB, sergeant with PERT for NCDOC and 2nd amorer
yada yada....
I’m a lot of things or former things but one thing I’m not is a tech wiz.
Question is how does one work the RadioShack Pro-164?
It’s being brought out of retirement so to speak so wife can listen in.
She works at local hospital.
The freqencies are already programmed. I have no clue on banks, trunks, etc.
It worked up until it didn’t a few months ago.
Yes, it has power. Yes, good antenna. Squelch, etc.
I don’t want a “watch a video” response.
I need some type of for dummies explainantion to get it back to receiving signals.
It’s in top notch shape, yes, sounds “typical”, it actually is.
I can read an instruction manual but I always had local RadioShack handle it.
No, I don’t have a cable to connect to computer and Scancat won’t pick up phone.

TL;DR
Radio Shack PRO 164
A button was touched somewhere and it’s not scanning squat but the NC Forest Service.
Need a step by step so it picks up stuff again so wife will stop worrying me and SIL.
Jdavis2180@windstream.net

First, thank you for your service.
Second, Yada, Yada, Yada does't tell us where in NC you live to help with the Pro-164. Your area might have gone digital. Let us know county, city to help.

OH, whatever you do, don't use SCANCAT!!

Larry

You’re welcome.
You’re correct, yada yada doesn’t say where I am.... and I was wondering if everything had gone digital.
Stanly Co.
As far as Scancat... well... a bit late for that as that’s what it was programmed with when I bought it over a decade ago. Scancat-lite
It was what my local Radio Shack used. Seeing as how Radio Shack is no longer in business... well, here I am.
Yes, I’ve tried to call them (scancat) email, them... and well, again... here I am.

I do not have a cable to plug to computer.
All my frequencies are still there.
I don’t unddrstand the trunk, bank, stuff. Too many buttons.
Something was hit (button) by accident and all I need to know is a dummy guide on how to work the buttons.

It’s running up through 0123 pri (yes, lower case)
If I turn the squelch down, it picks up static on a frequency, turn squelch up and back down it’s on a totally different frequency.
IE: 42.52000 MHz, then 425.400... then 47.26000 then 47.38000
Then 462.9750 then 462.95000
Then 453.32500 (SO)
These are just some of my local frequencies.... hospital, sheriff’s office, DOT, Highway Patrol... you get my point.
But they all basically sound like a revved diesel.... if that makes sense....?

Thanks for taking the effort to help.
O_E_M

N8IAA

You’re welcome.
You’re correct, yada yada doesn’t say where I am.... and I was wondering if everything had gone digital.
Stanly Co.
As far as Scancat... well... a bit late for that as that’s what it was programmed with when I bought it over a decade ago. Scancat-lite
It was what my local Radio Shack used. Seeing as how Radio Shack is no longer in business... well, here I am.
Yes, I’ve tried to call them (scancat) email, them... and well, again... here I am.

I do not have a cable to plug to computer.
All my frequencies are still there.
I don’t unddrstand the trunk, bank, stuff. Too many buttons.
Something was hit (button) by accident and all I need to know is a dummy guide on how to work the buttons.

It’s running up through 0123 pri (yes, lower case)
If I turn the squelch down, it picks up static on a frequency, turn squelch up and back down it’s on a totally different frequency.
IE: 42.52000 MHz, then 425.400... then 47.26000 then 47.38000
Then 462.9750 then 462.95000
Then 453.32500 (SO)
These are just some of my local frequencies.... hospital, sheriff’s office, DOT, Highway Patrol... you get my point.
But they all basically sound like a revved diesel.... if that makes sense....?

Thanks for taking the effort to help.
O_E_M

Looking at the database here on RR, it seems that your county has TGID's on the statewide VIPER system. You would find the NCSP on VIPER. That could be the reason you are hearing the loud noise on those frequencies. That is how P-25 digital sounds on analog frequencies. To monitor VIPER, you'll need a basic scanner that will do P-25, Phase I digital.
Some scanners to consider:
Whistler WS 1040, WS 1065, and the Uniden BCD 996P2.
There are also, the 396XT and 996XT. Those would be used since Uniden doesn't make them anymore.

If you have any questions, please PM me.

HTH,
Larry

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry.
My Pro 164 does have VIPER.
And signal stalker... if that matters.
I used to be pretty good buddies with the local store’s manager and he would just handle it.
Spent a pretty fair amount on this scanner way back when... just to have one of the “more better” ones and made sure if it flew, drove, floated, walked, whatever and it had a radio in this area... this thing had practically every frequency known to man programmed and it was going to pick it up. Haha

I did look at RR chart for here don’t I just get what it all means. I’m an Evil Monkey, not a Tech Monkey. Haha
More or less from what I gather... my current scanner is no good for here any more.... because it won’t receive digital and we’ve gone digital...? Because if I have to buy a new one... well, It’s just gonna have to wait.
Sorta like the digital switch from analog with TVs a few year ago....?
All my TVs have built in tuners but I’m still using some 10 year old Digital Stream converter boxes just because I like the program guide layout they use. Haha

I really do appreciate the help.
O_E_M

N8IAA

Thanks, Larry.
My Pro 164 does have VIPER.
And signal stalker... if that matters.
I used to be pretty good buddies with the local store’s manager and he would just handle it.
Spent a pretty fair amount on this scanner way back when... just to have one of the “more better” ones and made sure if it flew, drove, floated, walked, whatever and it had a radio in this area... this thing had practically every frequency known to man programmed and it was going to pick it up. Haha

I did look at RR chart for here don’t I just get what it all means. I’m an Evil Monkey, not a Tech Monkey. Haha
More or less from what I gather... my current scanner is no good for here any more.... because it won’t receive digital and we’ve gone digital...? Because if I have to buy a new one... well, It’s just gonna have to wait.
Sorta like the digital switch from analog with TVs a few year ago....?
All my TVs have built in tuners but I’m still using some 10 year old Digital Stream converter boxes just because I like the program guide layout they use. Haha

I really do appreciate the help.
O_E_M

You may have VIPER in the 164, but it won't decode it. Understand your situation. Look at the Whistler site for deep discounts on the Phase I scanners. It can save you a bunch!

You are more than welcome.
Larry

Not sure if I can PM yet... being newb and all. I’m still being moderated.
The only forum/group I’m on or use is my motorcycle one, been there for years and am one of the main go to members with troubleshooting and paint... mechanical I can do in my sleep but this radio stuff isn’t my forte. I don’t get the radios the way some don’t get vehicle repair and maitenance.
Ask me to fix your wiring, plumbing, roof, your truck... ask me to survive lost in the woods, I got you covered. haha

I was thinking the WS1040 looked pretty good.... but cheap as I can find is $235 and it’d still need programming... that was on Shamazon. It’s definitely gonna have to wait.
Think Whistler’s site was $300.
Been so long since I bought that Pro164 I don’t remember exactly what I paid but I didn’t have to do squat but keep it charged and turn it on, ya know? I really miss having Radio Shack.

Now... here’s a real questions for you, Larry...
How long before the WS1040 doesn’t work?
It’s Phase 1 some P25.... okay.... but isn’t stuff going Phase 2....?
If I do decide on the WS1040 can it be upgraded to keep up?
Keep in mind I don’t understand it all because I’ve never studied it, and not sure I want to.
But the 164 was “supposed” to be last scanner I need... and well a decade later I’ve got a scanner that does squat except be a paper weight because of the rebanding? And a digital switch.
Sad thing is the 164 looks practically as good as it did when it was bought new as I don’t abuse equipment.
And there’s no way the 164 can be upgraded software wise to work, correct?
Boot Ver: F1.01
Appl Ver: 1.04

None of which means a thing to me.

Sorry for so many questions.... and for just not “getting it” but I really do appreciate you taking your time.
I’ve dealt with guys completely new to riding period on my bike group that make me wonder if they’re going to even gonna survive leaving their driveway on two wheels but they want to know something like how to rebuild the engine. Young kids who’ve never ridden or driven something with carburetors... they expect it to work like fuel injection.... well, I get how that works.
That’s why I was a rapid response mech for 101st AB 20+ yrs ago... I get how that stuff works.
And sorry for the long post.... just a bit flustered that a perfectly good scanner doesn’t recieve now.

The help you’ve given so far has been great.
This site has a lot of good info, if I only knew what it all meant.
O_E_M
Clay

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was thinking the WS1040 looked pretty good.... but cheap as I can find is $235 and it’d still need programming... that was on Shamazon. It’s definitely gonna have to wait.
Been so long since I bought that Pro164 I don’t remember exactly what I paid but I didn’t have to do squat but keep it charged and turn it on, ya know? I really miss having Radio Shack.
Besides Amazon, you might be able to find what you need on eBay, Craig's List, or other online sites. Don't overlook pawn shops, yard sales, and estate sales, as often those sellers are more interesting in getting it sold rather than holding out for the highest price possible. Also see this very long thread for other places where other members found a diamond in the ditch- a capable radio at a great price: http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...on/174457-thrift-store-finds.html#post1270414
Keep in mind I don’t understand it all because I’ve never studied it, and not sure I want to.
The WS1040 is a P25 Phase I digital scanner, which is currently the format used on Viper. Other models identical in form and function to the WS1040 are the GRE PSR500, which was sold at Radio Shack as the Pro-106, and the Pro-651, which was the RadioShack labeled version of the WS1040. These cannot be upgraded to P25 Phase II. They simply don't have the necessary components to allow for Phase II.

As to whether there are current, or future, plans to upgrade North Carolina's Viper system to P25 Phase II, that would be a question better asked in the N.C. state forum. Members there would be more aware of any plans for such an upgrade in the foreseeable future.
But the 164 was “supposed” to be last scanner I need... and well a decade later I’ve got a scanner that does squat except be a paper weight because of the rebanding? And a digital switch.
Sad thing is the 164 looks practically as good as it did when it was bought new as I don’t abuse equipment.

There is no upgrade or programming that can make the Pro-164 do something it was not designed to do, receive digital systems. At the end of the day, it's still an analog scanner. For all intents and purposes, the Pro-164 was an updated equivalent to the Pro-97, but updated to work on rebanded systems. (The Pro-97 could not be updated for rebanding.)
Sorry for so many questions.... and for just not “getting it” but I really do appreciate you taking your time.
I’ve dealt with guys completely new to riding period on my bike group that make me wonder if they’re going to even gonna survive leaving their driveway on two wheels but they want to know something like how to rebuild the engine. Young kids who’ve never ridden or driven something with carburetors... they expect it to work like fuel injection.... well, I get how that works.
That’s why I was a rapid response mech for 101st AB 20+ yrs ago... I get how that stuff works.
And sorry for the long post.... just a bit flustered that a perfectly good scanner doesn’t recieve now.

O_E_M
Clay
While the Pro-164 may no longer work on North Carolina's statewide system, there could be other things you could monitor with it. For example, aircraft, both civilian and military, can be interesting. If you are near the coast, you might be able to catch activity on the marine channels.

Look at your county and the surrounding area in the database. You may find that some agencies, particularly small or volunteer fire departments, may still use conventional analog channels for tone outs and/or fireground communications.

@hiegtx
Thanks.

I’ll eventually wade my through to the NC forum.
This site is WAY bigger than the one for my specific motorcycle. Haha
There was a huge confusion with us old knowledgable guys when it was swapped over to vBulletin a few years ago.

Basically, that’s what I was I getting at... my Pro-164 isn’t any good now.... More or less.
No, not near coast although the freqencies are there... as are CAP, CB... but there’s basically no traffic so who knows. My 164 hasn’t been updated since it was put in service a decade ago. I’m sure the versions I posted earlier probably tell you that cause Lord if I know what they actually mean.
All our PDs, EMS, Medevac, SO all use dispatch out of the basement of courthouse.
My wife used to be one of my dispatchers back in the day with SO... way back in the day. Haha
The Pro-164 isn’t even picking up the FD tones anymore.
I have looked at some of the stuff for my area but not a clue if it means the 164 will pick up any of the VFD stuff either.
Dunno how to interperet what I see.

I do however appreciate you taking the time to reply.
I’ll keep looking and see what I can see and figure out.

Steve, Thanks again.

O_E_M
Clay

N8IAA

Not sure if I can PM yet... being newb and all. I’m still being moderated.
The only forum/group I’m on or use is my motorcycle one, been there for years and am one of the main go to members with troubleshooting and paint... mechanical I can do in my sleep but this radio stuff isn’t my forte. I don’t get the radios the way some don’t get vehicle repair and maitenance.
Ask me to fix your wiring, plumbing, roof, your truck... ask me to survive lost in the woods, I got you covered. haha

O_E_M
Clay

If I am not mistaken, the VIPER system is still being built out. I travel to NC at least three or more times a year. Even though I use a newer Phase II/DMR scanner now, my main mobile was my Pro-106 that I've had for 10 years.
It is similar to the Ohio MARCS P-25 system where I'm from. All Phase I. Too build out a system that big requires a lot of money. Don't think that NC will be switching anytime soon.
The 1040 will work great for NC.

There is no magic bullet to make the 164 work on P-25 digital systems. It is just a straight analog trunking scanner. But, it is really good on aircraft, railroads and such.

Trust me, I feel your pain. When I moved to GA, most everything was analog conventional and trunk systems. I remember using my ham radios to monitor everything around me that wasn't on a trunk system. Now, they've moved to P-25 sytems and DMR. I can't even hear my county anymore. They went full time encrypted 10 years ago. Be patient. When you need help with how the radio works, just PM me. You have to have a certain number of posts to do that.

Larry

Thanks for all the help, it really is appreciated.
Been busy, so forgive me for not replying sooner.

When I get the money I’m looking hard at the WS1040.
It sucks being broke as a joke all the time but some how them pesky folks at the REA, Interwebs, cell phone, mortgage... always wanting this thing called payments.
If “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts we’d all have a Merry Christmas.
Haha

And don’t get me started on Mother’s day....

O_E_M
Clay

Hey guys, sorry it took so long to reply (yeah, it's been months)
This site is a b**** to navigate.

I'm gonna list up my Pro-164.
(Yes, I know this isn't the "for sale" section) but I want to give Steve and Larry (the guys that helped me on this thread) a heads up and first dibs on it if they're interested as a thank you.
jdavis2180@windstream dot net

I still haven't gotten the WS1040.... yet.
I know, I'm slow.

O_E_M
Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.