Pro 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnfyre

Anyone got any experience with the
RadioShack Pro-197.

Looking at one. Looks like it does everything i need to do.

DJ11DLN

I have had a 197 for several years and it's my favorite digital trunking scanner. Great audio, great P25 Phase I decode quality. They do have limitations, being an older design. No P25 Phase II. No DMR, NXDN, or any other digital modes. Selectivity isn't great so if you live in an RF-dense area it wouldn't be the best solution for you. I don't have LSM where I live but I'm told the don't handle it very well either. There is a limit to the number of talkgroup objects per trunked system, you may have to duplicate the system to get everything you want to hear but it isn't really a problem.

That said, if you live in a rural or other RF-sparse area, you have only analog or P25 P.1 digital to decode, and you don't mind a "dated" design, you'll probably be pretty happy with a Pro-197.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I fully concur with DJ11DLN's opinion. I have two of them (one of them is used for a feed), and they have been money well spent. If you get one, I'd like to suggest that you also get the programming cable, as programming these scanners is much easier with software.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Anyone got any experience with the
RadioShack Pro-197.

That was Radio Shack's (GRE) last hurrah! In it's day it did a respectable job! If your area is not upgrading to P25 Phase 2, you might find it meets your needs. The newly available (to scanners) digital modes, ie; DMR, ProVoice, and NXDN are only an issue if you want/need them. Not too long ago, no retail scanners were receiving them. It all depends on your needs. I know numerous people that have them and are very satisfied with them.

Hope you got a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.