Pro-651: Fix or not? Opinions, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

I have a Pro-651 that got knocked off of the desk and landed on the external power plug. It no longer will work on external power but works fine on batteries. I've confirmed that the adapter and plug are fine and I've opened it up but found no obvious damage. I might have soldered a new receptacle in place but that's about the limit of my electronics skills; between eyesight that isn't what it was and hands no longer so steady, I'd hate to try to do anything more sophisticated in there. I do not have very much money in this unit, it was bought non-working for a pittance – the internal boards weren't seated properly. It's worked like a champ every since I figured that out and got it seated. My primary focus is on the statewide system here, which I am told is projected to be entirely p.2 by 2025 so the scanner would become unemployed at some point anyway.

Should I even bother sending it in to G&G? If it was a more recent unit capable of decoding p.2 it would be a no-brainer but I'm in a bit of a quandary over this. I could keep running it on batteries until it becomes a glorified weather alert radio, or unload it as-is (and I'd surely be money ahead even that way), or just let it become another stuffed-and-mounted relic of my hobby (and I already got several of those). Or maybe somebody can suggest something else to do with it. Bash away!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro-651 that got knocked off of the desk and landed on the external power plug. It no longer will work on external power but works fine on batteries. I've confirmed that the adapter and plug are fine and I've opened it up but found no obvious damage. I might have soldered a new receptacle in place but that's about the limit of my electronics skills; between eyesight that isn't what it was and hands no longer so steady, I'd hate to try to do anything more sophisticated in there. I do not have very much money in this unit, it was bought non-working for a pittance – the internal boards weren't seated properly. It's worked like a champ every since I figured that out and got it seated. My primary focus is on the statewide system here, which I am told is projected to be entirely p.2 by 2025 so the scanner would become unemployed at some point anyway.

Should I even bother sending it in to G&G? If it was a more recent unit capable of decoding p.2 it would be a no-brainer but I'm in a bit of a quandary over this. I could keep running it on batteries until it becomes a glorified weather alert radio, or unload it as-is (and I'd surely be money ahead even that way), or just let it become another stuffed-and-mounted relic of my hobby (and I already got several of those). Or maybe somebody can suggest something else to do with it. Bash away!
Did you use another power source to the jack, to make sure the problem is inside the scanner?

Sent using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

You can feed it regulated 5V though the battery compartment. Either USB power from a PC or a wall wart designed to recharge phones.

I have considered doing that -- get a replacement battery holder and door for a WS-1040 to sacrifice. It's an option that's still on the table.

Did you use another power source to the jack, to make sure the problem is inside the scanner?

Sent using Tapatalk

Yes, tried with a different adapter I had and the official RS auto adapter, as well as checking the plugs with a VOM. Good 9V power on all, no joy plugged into the scanner. Wiggling the plug doesn't do anything either. I guess it got buggered good...I've not been able to stay mad at the granddaughter who knocked it off though!

lou9155

after dealing with g n g i personally wont be dealing with them anymore....uniden can fix non unidens as long as you dont need an oem part

DJ11DLN

after dealing with g n g i personally wont be dealing with them anymore....uniden can fix non unidens as long as you dont need an oem part

What happened with G&G? I thought they were supposed to have a really good rep here.

lou9155

What happened with G&G? I thought they were supposed to have a really good rep here.

my pro2096 was recieving off freq in 800 mhz band ,,they replaced parts ..tested it..when it came back stilll same issue (was trying to get my local PD control channel)..talked to gerry and sent it back . he adjusted things again and when i got it back same issue plus face escutcheon was dinged badly. it took months for all this.... other thing i wasnt keen with was when sent scanner in i packed it very well lots of bubble wrap but when i got it back the box was hardly taped and radio was rolling around in box with newspaper packing..... i decided to only buy unidens so i could have factory service if needed. Gerry is an ok guy to talk to but hes a one man operation and been doing this a very long time...maybe not as sharp as he used to be ...just my opin....ymmv

Status
Not open for further replies.