Pro-2005: Realistic Po-2005 "deathtrap" backlight swap and repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiostationx

From this..

rr001.jpg

to this

rr020.jpg

A while ago I bought a used Pro-2005, The previous owner said it was "all okay", I think not !

The full tear down report is linked below,..enjoy.

Realistic PRO-2005 Repair. – Mersey Radar

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Great post! As have been your last few with other models. You have now caused me to have much seller's remorse that I didn't just keep all my old scanners, (eight or so old, classic models) rather than selling them. :(

Anyway... great work!

wbswetnam

I bought a used Uniden 890XLT a month ago at a hamfest for $10. It was missing the 10V AC adapter (odd model for a wall wart adapter) and it was covered in nicotine resin... yuk! I cleaned it up with Windex, and I managed to find the necessary adapter. Lo and behold, it worked!

radiostationx

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! :wink:

The 2005 came out in 2008 and the 2006 came out in 1990 (if I decrypted the date codes correctly on the last page of each manual)?

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Very minor differences but

Scan speed
Pro-2005 fast 16 ch sec/slow 8ch sec
Pro-2006 fast 26ch sec /slow 13ch sec

2005 had short production run so not as many around as 2006

Thanks! :wink:

The 2005 came out in 2008 and the 2006 came out in 1990 (if I decrypted the date codes correctly on the last page of each manual)?

The 2005 came out about a year before the 2006; if I recall correctly it was basically a repackaged 2004 which added the extra 100 channels and a couple of other minor differences.

The 2006 used the same package as the 2005, but incorporated several additional improvements in performance as well as increased scan/search speed and so on. In the minds of many the 2006 was the best conventional desktop scanner ever made, and I can't really disagree with that on too many levels.

The Pro-2035 came out 4-5 years after the 2006. It incorporated various improvements over the 2006, a new cabinet style and all-LED lighting. The Pro-2042 came out a couple of years after that and had still more improvements.

I have a 2004, a 2006 and a 2035. Performance-wise the 2004 is excellent; the 2006 is superior, and the 2035 is about equal to the 2006. The only real drawback to models after the Pro-2004 would be the plastic cabinet; the improved shielding of a metal cabinet like that on the 2004 would be a big help.

While all three are superior performers, their utility is somewhat limited these days by the lack of a computer interface. In my mind, if any of these (but especially the 2006 and 2035) had incorporated a computer interface as stock, it would be tough to beat them for conventional use even today.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
The 2005/2006 is far different over the 2004. Huge difference between the circuits and the ability or lack of in mod'ing the newer models due to increased use of SoC's and IC's that combined functions making access to specific functions (pins) impossible.
Huge difference with what one could do with the 2004 over the replacements, just look thru Bill's books of either model. :wink:

AFA 'features', that's cosmetic, not really important when performance is concerned and surely not just sensitivity. And PC interface, that's debatable. I have 4 computers, I don't want a 5th. :roll:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I got what was likely the very first 2005 in the Midwest when it was introduced, the manager of a local RadioShack was able to procure it for me a week or so early.

I had a grey Chevy Celebrity at the time and the interior colors matched that of the radio case. When I bought it I intended to use it as a base unit but realized that it would fit perfectly between the glove box and ashtray. I put in a couple little angle brackets and short sheet metal screws and it looked like it was almost built-in.

The 2005 I had was much better than the 2004's that I had and eventually I did the memory mod to make it have 16 sets of memories. Since I traveled a lot I was able to set up each memory set for the states where i was going.

I did end up with a couple 2006's later on and they were much better on VHF high but the 2005 seemed better in VHF low and aircraft.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I bought a used 2021 about 10 years ago that had a similar style plastic case. I only paid $5 for it because it was filthy, I intended to use it as a parts source. When I got it home I plugged it in and found it worked really well so I decided to clean it up.

Drawing on an experience with an Icom mobile radio I bought a year or two earlier that was all crudded up with nicotine and spilled soda I took the plastic case pieces apart and soaked them in a solution of a half dozen denture tabs and hot water for an hour, then rinsed them out. They came out spotless. I then blew out the dust from the radio and the speaker and sprayed the volume and squelch controls with a little tuner cleaner.

After this the radio was spotless. The display was dim, as is common for these radios. There was a guy down in Florida at the time that would swap out the EL panels for $50 each so I sent him a couple 2004's, my 2005, several 2006's and this 2021 and had all the EL panels replaced and they all were nice and bright again.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
N9JIG;

When you say "better", exactly just where was this "better"?
Sensitivity?
Selectivity?
Image rejection?

It sounds as you are out in the country where image is rarely a problem.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The 2005/2006 is far different over the 2004. Huge difference between the circuits and the ability or lack of in mod'ing the newer models due to increased use of SoC's and IC's that combined functions making access to specific functions (pins) impossible.
Huge difference with what one could do with the 2004 over the replacements, just look thru Bill's books of either model. :wink:

AFA 'features', that's cosmetic, not really important when performance is concerned and surely not just sensitivity. And PC interface, that's debatable. I have 4 computers, I don't want a 5th. :roll:

I'm not talking about the ability to modify, I'm talking about the stock radio. Yes, the 2005 was a redesign of the 2004 but it was essentially an upgraded 2004, which is one of the reasons it wasn't around very long. The 2006 is where the real improvements in performance came into play.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Drawing on an experience with an Icom mobile radio I bought a year or two earlier that was all crudded up with nicotine and spilled soda I took the plastic case pieces apart and soaked them in a solution of a half dozen denture tabs and hot water for an hour, then rinsed them out. They came out spotless. I then blew out the dust from the radio and the speaker and sprayed the volume and squelch controls with a little tuner cleaner.

Denture tabs? That's a new one. . .

N9JIG

Sheriff
N9JIG;

When you say "better", exactly just where was this "better"?
Sensitivity?
Selectivity?
Image rejection?

It sounds as you are out in the country where image is rarely a problem.

At the time I lived in suburban Chicago and listened mostly to VHF high (rail and fire) as well as aircraft and the occasional UHF and 800 analog stuff. The 2005 had better sensitivity that the 2004 before it. Neither of them had selectivity issues in my area. As far as images go the 2005/6 was slightly worse than the 2004. For some reason my local sheriff's police came in on an image channel on all of my 2005 and 6's but not the 2004's.

I live out in the country now but no longer have any of my old 2004/5/6 series scanners except for a 2004 I picked up at a hamfest last spring. It seems to work pretty well but I bought it more for the sentimental value.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Denture tabs? That's a new one. . .

They work great! I bought an Icom 2800 from a buddy who was a heavy smoker and always had a can of pop going in his car. The remote head was coated in crud and my wife suggested I try that so off to Walgreens we went.

I stripped down the head to it's plastic parts and soaked them in a bowl with a few of these. I found that you get more bubbly action with really hot water.

After reassembly I installed the radio in my car and when I saw him next he didn't believe it was the same radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.