RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners


Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,167
Default Pro 2006 parts

Anyone know where you can get parts for one of these? I am looking for the PC-4 board. Googled it but came up empty handed.

Thanks
MB
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 75
Default

You are better off getting a used one and swapping good parts to the better unit.
__________________
ICOM R-1/R-71A/R-7000, Grundig Satellit 700,
PRO-2006 (x2)/106/163/197 /668, DX-160/302/398 and a ton of "boat anchors"
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie72 View Post
You are better off getting a used one and swapping good parts to the better unit.
That is the conclusion I was coming up with . I think i need a new PC-4 as it has quite scanning, when I start it it is locked on to one frequency and won't do anything else'

MB
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 2:33 PM
radiostationx's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Near Liverpool,UK
Posts: 25
Default

Hi, Silly Question, I take it that you have tried to reset the CPU ?

Press and hold [CLR]
Press in and release the reset pip switch at the back and the display goes blank
Release [CLR]
Turn off radio, Turn on radio.


Check the 5v regulator for bad connections, especially screw to chassis.

See below for location detail

Realistic Pro-2006 Scanner Refurbishment (unit b) Mersey Radar


Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 3:35 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: shamong nj
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbounce View Post
Anyone know where you can get parts for one of these? I am looking for the PC-4 board. Googled it but came up empty handed.

Thanks
MB
try g and g communications in new york state
__________________
scanning the pinelands of south jersey bcd436hp pro651 pro652 pro2006 pro2096 bct15 grundig satellit 800
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 5:44 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,085
Default

As soon as one of the buttons are stuck it will disable the whole key section. If that's the problem you cannot do a complete reset as the CLR key doesn't work. Remove the battery and disconnect power and wait till next day to power on.

/Ubbe
__________________
TRX-2 BCD536 HP1 BCT15 BC246 BC346 BR330 UBC3500 Pro2006 Pro2042 Optocom OS545 Scout PCR1000 ICR2500 IC75 DX394 AR8200 IC-R2 IC-R10 UBC780 MD380 CS580 CS750 Pro96 Perseus ADCR25 AcecoSC1plus RTL-SDR
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 5:45 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiostationx View Post
Hi, Silly Question, I take it that you have tried to reset the CPU ?

Press and hold [CLR]
Press in and release the reset pip switch at the back and the display goes blank
Release [CLR]
Turn off radio, Turn on radio.


Check the 5v regulator for bad connections, especially screw to chassis.

See below for location detail

Realistic Pro-2006 Scanner Refurbishment (unit b) Mersey Radar


Hope this helps.
That was a pretty nasty looking scanner thankfully my radio is much better, I bought it brand new when it first came our.

That IC in my radio checks out perfect, so at least it was a good start for me.

Thanks for trying.

MB
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 5:52 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou9155 View Post
try g and g communications in new york state
I did push the clear button and reset button and the radio display came on and scanned with all banks active. Problem is when I shut the radio off and restart it, it resorts back to its old state, which is locked on channel one and no button works.

Thanks at least I know it will work and I am pretty sure it has to be the keyboard.

PS after pushing clear and hitting the reset the radio scans all banks but buttons still don't work.

MB
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 5:56 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
As soon as one of the buttons are stuck it will disable the whole key section. If that's the problem you cannot do a complete reset as the CLR key doesn't work. Remove the battery and disconnect power and wait till next day to power on.

/Ubbe
I will let you know tomorrow how unplugging the radio and taking the battery out works.

MB
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2018, 6:22 PM
radiostationx's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Near Liverpool,UK
Posts: 25
Default

MB,

Could be a dry joint in the pin header of the keyboard pcb which links up to the display pcb.

See below for disassembly

Realistic PRO-2005 Repair. (Unit A). Mersey Radar
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,167
Default

Hitting the reset button and seeing all of the banks come on and scan inspired me to find a service manual for this relic. The service manual say if the radio does not scan and squelch is absent to check two ICs and one transistor, so things are looking up. Now to find a good repair department to do the work.

Thanks the replies, if not for that the radio was going into hiding lol.

Thanks
MB
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,085
Default

When you press that little reset button it resets the CPU but doesn't clear any memory as you'll need the CLR button to work to be able to do that. The disabled keypad gets cleared when you reset the CPU and the scanner probably works as it should, besided that no button works.

When you power on the scanner it senses that a button is stuck, or the connector to it is faulty or something, and it stops working. I.E. there's probably nothing wrong with those ICs or transistor.
I would try and take the keypad apart and clean it and examine the contacts to the main board.

/Ubbe
__________________
TRX-2 BCD536 HP1 BCT15 BC246 BC346 BR330 UBC3500 Pro2006 Pro2042 Optocom OS545 Scout PCR1000 ICR2500 IC75 DX394 AR8200 IC-R2 IC-R10 UBC780 MD380 CS580 CS750 Pro96 Perseus ADCR25 AcecoSC1plus RTL-SDR
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2018, 3:21 PM
radiostationx's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Near Liverpool,UK
Posts: 25
Default

Nice theroy Ubbe, I think you are right.
Cant see it being R152.
A stuck key could lock up IC501 main CPU on powering up the radio.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2018, 3:34 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
When you press that little reset button it resets the CPU but doesn't clear any memory as you'll need the CLR button to work to be able to do that. The disabled keypad gets cleared when you reset the CPU and the scanner probably works as it should, besided that no button works.

When you power on the scanner it senses that a button is stuck, or the connector to it is faulty or something, and it stops working. I.E. there's probably nothing wrong with those ICs or transistor.
I would try and take the keypad apart and clean it and examine the contacts to the main board.

/Ubbe
I have had it apart and did clean the keypad and PC-4. I have cleaned these two before ( used a damp cloth ) also tried WD40. After the last cleaning it was okay for awhile but as I use my computer now with DSDPlus and Unitrunker and or SDRSharp, the radio has been sitting around not being used. When it was in use it was to monitor Mil Air only, but each time I turned it on the keys became less and less responsive until yesterday when it just refused to work. Right now it is inoperable as i pulled one of the wires off the on/off switch also broke my soldering gun, so right now everything is on hold. One step at a time i have to get another soldering gun.

MB
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2018, 5:14 AM
krokus's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 3,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbounce View Post
I have had it apart and did clean the keypad and PC-4. I have cleaned these two before ( used a damp cloth ) also tried WD40.
I hope you didn't use WD40 on anything electronic.

Sent using Tapatalk
__________________
Generic radio geek, in southeast Michigan.
PSR-500, TM-742, TM-V71,TH-78, HTX-420, IC-2AT, IC-2E (clone), Pro-39, BC-235XLT, TK-290, XTS-5000
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2018, 6:11 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 52
Default

I still have a new never used OEM keypad for the pro-2005/2006. I also had a new OEM backlight but already used it in my 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2018, 6:28 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,085
Default

I tried to fix a HiFi stereo that had a switch that was working intermittent and tried different contact sprays and nothing worked, and I was about to order a new switch and put hours into replacing it, when I finally gave it a shower of WD40 (it smells fantastic) and it worked the following years until the whole stereo was replaced.

/Ubbe
__________________
TRX-2 BCD536 HP1 BCT15 BC246 BC346 BR330 UBC3500 Pro2006 Pro2042 Optocom OS545 Scout PCR1000 ICR2500 IC75 DX394 AR8200 IC-R2 IC-R10 UBC780 MD380 CS580 CS750 Pro96 Perseus ADCR25 AcecoSC1plus RTL-SDR
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2018, 9:43 AM
radiostationx's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Near Liverpool,UK
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin82 View Post
I still have a new never used OEM keypad for the pro-2005/2006. I also had a new OEM backlight but already used it in my 2005.
PM sent, I would like it please if Moonbounce doesnt need it.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2018, 1:50 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiostationx View Post
PM sent, I would like it please if Moonbounce doesnt need it.
PM response sent, hopefully you receive it.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2018, 3:29 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,167
Default

So I have my power back on, the battery has been out of the radio all night, put it back in and same results no keys working. I think later tonight I will take it apart again and take the pad out and bridge the contacts with maybe the flathead of a screw driver blade and see if anything shows up on the display? I check the plug at the top of the keyboard and it seems to be okay as I got some voltage readings from it so I am thinking it is not dead. Anyways onward and upward as they say lol.

MB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions