Squelch setting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aph1975

Hi all newbie here just had a question about the squelch settings on my scanner (pro 97) I was curious to know if anyone else on any other model of scanner has to have there squelch more than 3/4 the way open .... I read my users manuel and it says turn the squelch setting clockwise and stop just after you hear the hissing noise stop. When I do this and scan my bank or banks it stops on almost every channel with no broadcasting, I double and tripled checked that I had the right frequencies for the agencies and that wasnt the problem.If I turn the squelch open almost 90 percent it will scan normally. Ive had the scanner now for about a month and it just recently started doing this. Is this what you consider like a sensitive scanner, should I excahnge it, any help would be apreciated thank you.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Try moving the scanner you may be getting rf into the unit from computers tv's etc...or try setting the squelch the way the manual says and remove the antenna and see if it resumes scanning if not return the scanner for an exchange

aph1975

Ok I tried that ( removong the antenna ) and yes the scanner resumes scanning and doesnt stop, as soon as I add the antenna back on I get the same deal where I have to turn the squelch up about 90 percent. I wonder if a cell phone tower would have anything to do with it, as there is one about 10 yards behind my backyard.

dougjgray

I had a similar problem that although not as bad and only on 1 channel but that channel went the way of digital trunking so now there is no problem. the 97 appeared to detect a signal but did not produce audio however I only had to turn the sqelch up a little to remedy it. so I would guess its somehow out of alignment and I would exchange it if you can or send it in for repair. With a cell interference I would think you would at least hear static/noise

Status
Not open for further replies.