New Radio Shack 700 Mhz Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfrench

Does anyone have any updated information when Radio Shack will release it's version of the Uniden 996.

I got to beleive that something is in the works and can only hope they will put the quality and features into a top of the line scanner.(Needs to be digital of course).

kwrxxx

I doubt if there ever will be any need for a 700 MHz scanner system. 700 MHz is going to be sold to one entity so a nationwide proprietry network will be deployed for public service. I'm afraid scanning in ten years will be like morse code is today and just be part of history.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
kwrxxx said:
I doubt if there ever will be any need for a 700 MHz scanner system. 700 MHz is going to be sold to one entity so a nationwide proprietry network will be deployed for public service. I'm afraid scanning in ten years will be like morse code is today and just be part of history.

You may want to check into STARCOM-21 P25 Motorola system in IL. It uses 700MHz trunked frequencies now.
http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2324

jeffrey420

There has been some licensed in Missouri as well. It is Missouri HP, but has not been determined as to what type.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Idaho and Colo are in the process of statewide 700 systems or a mixture thereof. I think it's another example of the scanner mfgs like RS/GRE being a step behind like the early days of trunking. I love my 97 but wouldn't buy a 96 based on the lack of 700 tracking. That was the main thing that stopped me from purchasing one. You might be correct about the future of scanning san 700mhz or anything else, like re-banding, we'll just have to wait and see how it happens.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
First there will be a need for 700 MHz scanners as there will be 700 systems untimately all across the nation. I think the reason that gRE has held up on releasing a new top of the line scanner is the waiting to see the final outcome of rebanding. No one still knows for sure what it is going to take to scan 800 after rebanding. There is a chance that no existing scanner will work. Uniden believes the last couple will, but they have a discalimer in their statements that they may not. Really no need in rushing out a new scanner until it is going to do what is needed for the next couple of years.

second, the FCC is taking comments on the the possibility of using 12 MHz of 700 for a single licensee broadband system. But that still leaves 12 MHz for the narrow band voice systems, far more spectrum than public safety has in 800 MHz.

thirdly, the FCC has not made any comment yet on the reqquest to allow the use of the guardbands for 700 MHz for narrowband voice. I think there is a good chance this will occur. If it does, it will mean that the uniden and gre scanners will not cover the new voice channels in 700 MHz. So one more reason for GRE to hold up on a top line scanner. Dashing out and buying anything now could result in getting stuck like the first people that bought the BC250 and then a year later being told they had to buy another scanner to receive all digital 800.

Take your time gRE and do it right.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
gfrench - there's no reason to believe RS will release their 'version' of a 996. And there is no guess when they will have a new scanner out.

kwrxxx - completely wrong.

aar9sm

New Scanner

Why release a new scanner like the 996 when RS is selling the 996:)

Mike

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
aar9sm said:
Why release a new scanner like the 996 when RS is selling the 996:)

Mike

But why in the world would anyone pay $800.00 for a $500.00 scanner? Radio Shack is crazy.

claybarnes

With all due respect to kwrxxx I do not think scanning will be obsolete in 10 years. True, adjustments and newer technology are being produced that are making it harder and more expensive for us to keep up with our hobby, but I can't forsee it stopping completely just as you would turn a garden hose. I do think however his assesment could very much be a reality in some of the larger markets, but as a whole, I can't see that happening. allow me to illustrate. I live in Sweet Home Alabama. The county i reside in is Jefferson, which happens to be the largest county in the state. We just went digital. Birmingham, the County seat, and the largest city has already tried the Southern Linc Walkie Talkie. Big Mistake. Most all other counties with the execption of 5 or 6 are rural counties taht are just getting by. Our state is just getting by. All of these other counties are on VHF frequencies. The state Troopers are on a system that goes back for years. We are way behind on our road projects. Get the picture? We are so conservativethat we do not like the sweepstake arcades. I love our lifestyle. Change is not always good.. Bottom line? There are lots of state just like us that are content with non encrypted systems. One more example. I was in Tampa a couple of weeks ago. I took my Pro 96, they have an EDACS system. I thought it sounded great, and worked very good. But, The big question is when they change will they follow FHP'S lead? Only time will tell. I said all of that to say this. There are alot of people just like me. I'm 44, and I truly believe that when we have to face all of these issues here I will be so old that I will not care. Happy New year to All!

Clay
P.S. I did read where Calhoun County recieved a large grant for a Pro voice system, but I believe those will be few and far between.

jeffrey420

rescue161 said:
But why in the world would anyone pay $800.00 for a $500.00 scanner? Radio Shack is crazy.

Exactly!!! I think that is what they are counting on. People decide to buy a scanner for the first time, or just upgrading to something digital. They think of R.S., and go to their site to look for a scanner. They see the 996 for $800, and the n see the 96/2096 for $400 - $500. Hmmm, maybe I can afford the later. You would be surprised how many people would take that at face value not knowing where else to go look. If you go to the Uniden site you can find them for $500, but it also has that word many fear ( re manufactured ). Yes, I know they can be found new, cheaper other places.

Maybe, crazy like a fox.....

kicktd

The reason for this is on the Uniden website they sell them as like new where as on RS they are new so they can get away with selling them in the Uniden shop for $500 because they are models that have been returned and are being re-sold.

Uniden Store said:
"Like New Products" sold on the Uniden Online Store are usually retail store returns, damaged-box items, or units returned with missing components or accessories. They are inspected, re-tested and refurbished by Uniden and sold at a discounted price.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
actually, the radio shack is listing them at the uniden suggested retail price. Radio shack doesn't really expect to sell very many, but it makes their branded scanners look like better bargains.

when uniden first announce new scanners they show the suggested retail and then people guess at the street price.

I'm afraid I agree with KWRxxx, the technologies used in two-way and other areas
are changing so rapidly that as soon as you turn on your "NEW" scanner that you
laid out $500.00 + for it's well on it's way to being obsolete.
New bands, new modulation & digital formats, encryption, who can afford to
keep up?

claybarnes

I just dont think all of these cities and counties can afford to change technologies every years just like you and I change personal computers. With so much emphasis being put on public accountability, I think any city, state, or county would have to look long and hard before changing every few years. Do you really see Jefferson County Alabama changing systems in the next 5 years? My 996 and pr0 96 will wear out before that happens.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
icom1020 said:
Idaho and Colo are in the process of statewide 700 systems or a mixture thereof.
Colorado has a (almost) statewide 800mhz system, however many new sites are 700mhz, including a handful already in operation in the Denver metro area. There is one county that has not gone to the state system yet, and only has one site (for use by state agencies, mostly) however when they build more sites for that county, they will be 700mhz sites.
700mhz is already here folks, and I don't think re-banding will have any effect on it.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
claybarnes said:
I just dont think all of these cities and counties can afford to change technologies every years just like you and I change personal computers. With so much emphasis being put on public accountability, I think any city, state, or county would have to look long and hard before changing every few years. Do you really see Jefferson County Alabama changing systems in the next 5 years? My 996 and pr0 96 will wear out before that happens.
Unless people show up at public meetings to contest vast sums of money to install a newer system, they'll keep doing it. John Q has no idea what a trunked or digital system is. Just that it sounds kewl.

As far as RS, they still have something Uniden dosen't have yet. A local store that can sell you a scanner off the shelf, provided they stock it. But perhaps they will go to more online sales in the future, as well.

Claybarnes may be right about Alabama. Anyone remember the EDACS system that was
supposed to be installed statewide for the Troopers?
I do expect Jefferson County and most other agencies to go encrypted at some point,
what with all the Homeland Security money being passed out and Washington setting the
standards for "privacy".
My point is: do your homework before you buy AND keep your fingers crossed that someone wont change things just for the sake of change!

radio45

I think that never much will change because all this new technology has come out and they are still using the same frequencies too communicate on just with better radioes. The radioes are improving but the bands are pretty much the same. Not sure if I am totally right just join this board.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Mark my words on this one. Radio Shack (GRE) will release a new version of the 96/2096 (who knows what they will call it) when the rebanding is done. Kill two brids with the same stone. Have a radio that they know for a fact will work with the rebanded frequencies and have 700. Maybe even a few more new features.

Status
Not open for further replies.