Question about a Pro-97 1,000 Channel Triple Trunking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherly40

First I'd like to say Happy New Years to all you happy scanner owners! My husband bought me a Pro-97, i'm wondering if I'm going to need an antanna of some kind other then the one on me Pro-97 ? I live two miles outside of town and don't seem to be picking much up, when I'm talking to my nephew in the same town, his is going non-stop! I have squelching noises off and on when someone is to make a reply to an officer, rather then a vioce. I turned the squelch off but still incounter this noise from time to time. I wish they had a trouble shooting page in the owners manual, but there was none. Thanks alot guys for any help!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Happy New Year to you also!

Two miles should not present a problem, even with the stock antenna. Do you have the same frequencies programmed as your nephew has? Is he using the same radio. Can you tell us what County/City/State you're located in?

Thanks!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
scanny_man said:
I'm her nephew and i have a BC92xlt and yes mine goes constantly.

Does she have the exact same frequencies programmed? Did you program it, or did she? Also make sure the squelch is adjusted properly, and that the programmed bank(s) are enabled.

Can you clarify this: "I have squelching noises off and on when someone is to make a reply to an officer, rather then a vioce." ?

Last edited:

weatherly40

Question About a Pro-97 1,000 Chanel Triple Trunking:

GreatLakes said:
Does she have the exact same frequencies programmed? Did you program it, or did she? Also make sure the squelch is adjusted properly, and that the programmed bank(s) are enabled.

Can you clarify this: "I have squelching noises off and on when someone is to make a reply to an officer, rather then a vioce" ?
Sorry about that! I meant to spell voice instead of vioce. When someone responds to the dispatcher instead of a voice I get a squelching sound. This can be annoying when my volume is up high.

weatherly40

GreatLakes said:
Happy New Year to you also!

Two miles should not present a problem, even with the stock antenna. Do you have the same frequencies programmed as your nephew has? Is he using the same radio. Can you tell us what County/City/State you're located in?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! I think I will get together with my nephew today and see which fregencies he has programed in his, but basically I'm thinking they are about the same. His Scanner on the other hand is a different brand then mine. I live in Sedalia, Mo which is in Pettis County.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
weatherly40 said:
Sorry about that! I meant to spell voice instead of vioce. When someone responds to the dispatcher instead of a voice I get a squelching sound. This can be annoying when my volume is up high.

I'm sorry, I wasn't criticizing your spelling, I just didn't understand exactly what you were hearing. Did you mean the squelch opened up, and you heard the usual background static type noise, or something different? Some radio systems (ie; trunking, digital, etc), make irritating noises when they're transmitting data.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
weatherly40 said:
Thanks for the reply! I think I will get together with my nephew today and see which fregencies he has programed in his, but basically I'm thinking they are about the same. His Scanner on the other hand is a different brand then mine. I live in Sedalia, Mo which is in Pettis County.

Here is a link on the Radio Reference Database listing frequencies for your area:
http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=1558

I think you are telling me you didn't program it at all? If you're just trying to use the preprogrammed frequencies that came in the scanner, that is the problem.

Hope this helps!

scanny_man

yes i am programming her scanner and every once and awhile there are outbursts of a fax machine sound..even on mine and i'm not sure what that is..it sounds like a fax machine going off

kicktd

what frequency is it? is it a trunked group? That almost sounds like it could either be a Control Channel sneaking in OR it could be possible they are using encryption when transmitting?

scanny_man

well the frequency is 451.1500...not sure if its trunked or whatever cuz i don't know much about that...but i usually pick up my neighbors and Aquila on it but every 2 or 3 minutes have to hear that sound....

weatherly40

Just wanted to let everyone know, that I just got home from scanny-man's house, and my scanner is wrking much better now. I think he programed more channels in it.

weatherly40

GreatLakes said:
I'm sorry, I wasn't criticizing your spelling, I just didn't understand exactly what you were hearing. Did you mean the squelch opened up, and you heard the usual background static type noise, or something different? Some radio systems (ie; trunking, digital, etc), make irritating noises when they're transmitting data.

I think you are right, I think it's just my type of radio system, as to why I'm having the static noise. I had the squelch turned down. My nephew { scanner-man} programed more channels into my scanner and it works much better now.

intrepid97

Almost sounds like a "paging system" that is close by and bleeding over onto some of the frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.