Does BNSF use VHF 1 RED DOT 151.6250 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjrjr507

Hi
I live in Libby, MT and I hearing what sounds like BNSF work crews or whoever they are on 151.6250. From the way they are talking sometimes it sounds like a BNSF crew but not sure. I checked the FCC site and there is no reference to that frequency for BNSF, HMMM. I have checked the normal railroad freq's and they are not there.

Northe

Hi
I'm hearing what sounds like BNSF work crews or whoever they are on 151.6250. From the way they are talking sometimes it sounds like a BNSF crew but not sure.

It's probably a private contractor doing construction work. I believe that in many cases the foreman/supervisor will have a railband radio, but most of the communications on the work site will take place on the business band. I've run into such communications from time to time, and the contract workers use a lot of the same terminology as the railroad personnel.

Northe

cjrjr507

BNSF on 151.6250 ?

It's probably a private contractor doing construction work. I believe that in many cases the foreman/supervisor will have a railband radio, but most of the communications on the work site will take place on the business band. I've run into such communications from time to time, and the contract workers use a lot of the same terminology as the railroad personnel.

Northe

Hi
Yeah, it could be a contractor for BNSF. I heard someone calling for OR261. They talk about clearing the brakes. 3 engines running and other stuff. Earlier I heard an alarm or something going off and someone yelling about something. If I get anything more or who it is will let this site know.

cjrjr507

Rail grinder

It is Loram the rail grinder

Hi
Yeah, I heard on one of the RR channels that they have a Grinder crew out working on the rails. That's what the water truck is for on the 151.6250 channel I heard mentioned. Sounds like there could be an survey crew useing that freq. too. (Water truck going back to the caboose)

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
151.6250 aka RED DOT

Yes I have also hear either Amtrak or CSX track maintenance crews chit-chat on non railroad allocated frequency. I'm sure the crew doesn't think about who else is using that frequency as long as they get their job gets completed. Who ever program their radio should have stayed within the railroad allocation ( 158.0000 to 161.600 ), I am sure that they don't want to run into fast food restraunts close by to the railroad or warehouse crew that may the Red Dot frequency for their comms, even thou most users utilize CTCSS or DTCSS. Some short line railroad have been known to use 154.5700 Blue Dot and other VHF Business Band Frequencies, even some have gone to the UHF band ( 450.0000 to 470.0000 )

W2NJS

If yours is a legitimate business you can get an itinerant FCC license that allows you to operate anywhere in the continental US, and 151.625 is a very popular itinerant frequency. There is no FCC coordination required for these licenses so it can be a snakepit when conflicts arise. Assuming that a track inspection company operates over a wide geographical area it would seem logical that they would have an itinerant license.

cifn2

Feed Provider
The DOT channels in VHF are unlicensed now, been that way probably almost 7-8 years. Called MURS. The whole idea was that Radio Shack and other groups sold the radios without advising users to license. So the FCC made MURS. It limits power to under 2 Watts, I believe, and allows for external antennas etc. Some former users were grandfathered in, but licenses are not issued anymore, because they are not required. I would say after the grandfathered licensee's who had higher power etc, license expires they will have to change channels or go to current regulations.

robbie2

Washington bnsf freqs,

it's probably a private contractor doing construction work. I believe that in many cases the foreman/supervisor will have a railband radio, but most of the communications on the work site will take place on the business band. I've run into such communications from time to time, and the contract workers use a lot of the same terminology as the railroad personnel.

Northe
hi you can try these freqs out see what you can pick up.
Were you are. These are for washington but you maybe
could pick up some thing were you are.

Bnsf centrailia north dispatcher freq, 161.4150

bnsf centrailia south dispatcher freq, 161.100

bnsf railway police dispatcher freq, 145.410

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber

What the heck are you talking about? 145.410 is in the 2m Amateur Radio Service and is not shared with any other services, according to my knowledge. I'm not saying the entire Band allocation for Amateur Radio isn't shared, I'm just saying the VHF 2 meters isn't one of the shared If BNSF Railroad Police is using 145.410, they need cease and get on AAR VHF allocated channels.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Um...no. Recheck that last frequency again. :wink: It's NOT a RR channel at all.
n9zas

robbie2

hi

sorry about that i just thot it was a repeater for BNSF RAILWAY POLICE
i heared southern people in texas talking on it. and this woman named helen
her call sign KF7DWB i herd her talking to someone in dallas TX,

Status
Not open for further replies.