Famous BNSF Train Wreck Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

dic

I've Googled this picture every way possible and can find NO information about it.

Any ideas?

Dic
N1XBA

P.S. How DID they manage that?

Attachments

• EPIC_TRAIN_CRASH_SRSLY_FAIL.jpg
    EPIC_TRAIN_CRASH_SRSLY_FAIL.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 17,424
Last edited by a moderator:

marileau

Gentlemen,
Backbone is truely missed. Thank you for taking care of business, without the unnecessary lollygagging, at the height of the knee cap (if you will). Because of your discipline now, we are all quaranteed not having to worry about knocking them out, at waist height. They will be thankful as well.
This is just one of the reasons I am dedicated to this place and proud to be a member. I respectfully stand behind you.
I do feel no harm was the true intention and yes a picture holds a thousand words and choosing them respectfully is the key. Comments across the internet about who, what, where and when are all filled with verbal abuse, ranting and raving and It doesn't take much to side step the real topic. Because of your actions, sir, I can avoid all that and enjoy this site and learn something.
Thank you for your kindness
marileau

D

DaveNF2G

Looks like a derailment on an overpass. At least one boxcar has almost been rolled into a ball. Interesting dynamics.

n5ims

Looks to be fairly simple to explain how that mess got to look like that. What you have are 4 rail lines going one way and at least 1 going over them on a bridge. There was a fast moving train on the line on that bridge that had an issue (derailment perhaps) causing the cars you see to also jump the track, falling off the bridge and pile up as you see them. The wrecked train appears to have been traveling at a high rate of speed from left to right (most likely) and the momentum of the rail cars carried them to their positions as shown in the picture.

What caused them to derail can't be said from the picture. Perhaps they hit a truck further up the track, perhaps a rail broke, perhaps they hit a penny on the track placed there by some kid that wanted a squashed penny (possible, but probably not likely).

DPD1

Lots of BN cars, so I'm guessing it was quite a while ago. Maybe late 80's.

dic

Hey,

Please refrain from posting text or images with inappropriate language in the future.

Thanks!

Sorry about that Bezking.

I tried to locate the picture without the caption, but couldn't.

I had hoped someone would have been able to just cut the pic out of the frame, but your solution will suffice.

Thanks
Dic
N1XBA

dic

Gentlemen,
Backbone is truely missed. Thank you for taking care of business, without the unnecessary lollygagging, at the height of the knee cap (if you will). Because of your discipline now, we are all quaranteed not having to worry about knocking them out, at waist height. They will be thankful as well.
This is just one of the reasons I am dedicated to this place and proud to be a member. I respectfully stand behind you.
I do feel no harm was the true intention and yes a picture holds a thousand words and choosing them respectfully is the key. Comments across the internet about who, what, where and when are all filled with verbal abuse, ranting and raving and It doesn't take much to side step the real topic. Because of your actions, sir, I can avoid all that and enjoy this site and learn something.
Thank you for your kindness
marileau

Excuse me, Doctor,
May we have Marileau's medicine please?

dic

THANKS KC9GLG!

I've been looking for that info for years!

Thank you so much!

Further info:
On August 27, 1977, a defective freight car caused an eastbound BN freight to derail, blocking all three BN tracks. Amtrak's westbound San Francisco Zephyr was too close to avoid running into the wreckage, and was consequently derailed as well (there were numerous injuries, some serious, but no deaths). The biggest pileup was right on the IHB bridge--naturally the bridge collapsed, blocking the IHB for a time as well. I don't recall whether any trains were under the bridge at the time of the wreck, but I doubt it.

I've seen plenty of instances when trains were on both railroads at the same time at that point, but you were very lucky to get the locomotives of both.

Carl

Oddly enough, there isn't a listing of the Accident on the NTSB website.

Thanks again.

Dic
N1XBA

DPD1

On August 27, 1977, a defective freight car caused an eastbound BN freight to derail

Well, I was a few years off. I should have guessed, with that dude wearing the proper white dress shirt. Who does that anymore.

dic

THANKS KC9GLG!

I've been looking for that info for years!

Thank you so much!

Further info:

QUOTATION: On August 27, 1977, a defective freight car caused an eastbound BN freight to derail, blocking all three BN tracks. Amtrak's westbound San Francisco Zephyr was too close to avoid running into the wreckage, and was consequently derailed as well (there were numerous injuries, some serious, but no deaths). The biggest pileup was right on the IHB bridge--naturally the bridge collapsed, blocking the IHB for a time as well. I don't recall whether any trains were under the bridge at the time of the wreck, but I doubt it.

I've seen plenty of instances when trains were on both railroads at the same time at that point, but you were very lucky to get the locomotives of both.

Carl

END QUOTATION

Oddly enough, there isn't a listing of the Accident on the NTSB website.

Thanks again.

Dic
N1XBA

Is there no way to edit my post?
I wanted to put the quotation that I cut and pasted in italics and can't seem to find a way.

marileau

What is Post #3 talking about?

What I was referring to was the editing of the language and I apologize if I took my strange ways of looking at things. I suppose I got carried away. I enjoyed the photo and thank you dic. My thinking process is different than most and hope you understand kindly.
I consider myself not disabled but differently abled. Have I cleared this for you confuzzled?

Meh that could be cleared in a cpl days....here are some wrecks I worked. I am a boom hand for hulcher. here are some of me pix.
DSC00910_jpg_15744.jpg

141.jpg

142.jpg

064-1.jpg

069.jpg

these are a few of a million pound plus ladle car. it is used to move liquid steel from the blast furnace to the BOF (basic oxygen furnace) or continuous caster. the bottle sprung a leak....if u look u can see the steel is still glowing hot
001-1.jpg

029.jpg

044-1.jpg

015.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.