Positive Train Control Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Had a 2011 model GE engine on the point.

In the nose I found a bank of bandpass filters with coax labeled. The PTC coax was going thru a 220Mhz bandpass filter...

I'm not sure if this will be an industry standard, or if it will vary from road to road... But I would imagine there needs to be some standards in place.

D

DaveNF2G

The 220 equipment might be for operation on CSX lines such as in NY state where they are running proprietary digital tracking stuff on that band.

K4DHR

NS has been installing 220MHz folded dipoles along its lines in Alabama and Georgia for PTC. I'm pretty sure a buddy of mine who works for a railroad engineering firm said 220MHz is going to be the standard, but I can double check that info.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
The 220 equipment might be for operation on CSX lines such as in NY state where they are running proprietary digital tracking stuff on that band.

I've been doing some reading, it seems that the four major american railroads are working together to develop a system...

This was a UP engine, and they dont equip them just "in case" they operate on a foreign railroad.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The FCC is soliciting opinions from the rail industry and potential PTC manufacturers as to whether or not the 220-222 MHz band will be sufficient for PTC.

For those not familiar with the history, 220-222 MHz used to be part of the amateur radio 1.25 meter band. Amateur radio was a secondary user in that band and the FCC carved out 220-222 MHz so that UPS could build out a communications system for their trucks. UPS's plans failed and they gave up the allocation. Amateur radio still has 222-225 MHz, though I believe it is a U.S.-only allocation.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Yea... very similar.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Metro North in New York is building a test bed on 220, but at this rate it may be after I retire before they get it going. It's kinda an orphan project, no one wants to be involved with it. We are hoping for some test runs in January, just what I like standing by the wayside in -20 degree weather with a train running by me.
Funny though, we got frequencies in the 900 mhz too supposedly for it.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Metro North in New York is building a test bed on 220, but at this rate it may be after I retire before they get it going. It's kinda an orphan project, no one wants to be involved with it. We are hoping for some test runs in January, just what I like standing by the wayside in -20 degree weather with a train running by me.
Funny though, we got frequencies in the 900 mhz too supposedly for it.

We use 900Mhz for wireless event recorder downloads.

radioman2001

Our event recorders were CDPD now they must be using something else, since there is no more CDPD. I suspect cell phone. The 900's were supposed to be for PTSC, so I am confused as to whats going on. Either there is a nationwide system or not. Time will tell I guess. I will tell you that the data thoughput is supposed to be so high that the radio is almost constantly transmitting, on the order of 2 sec on 1 sec off, and the test transmitters are limited to 2 watts erp.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
We've been using wireless downloads of event recorders for some time now.

Only at certain locations where they get automatic downloads.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

radioman2001

OK, an update on MNRR PTC system,the frequency in in the 218-219 mhz range. The radios are GE MDX, limited to 2 watts, using a TDMA modulation scheme. Some live testing was done last week, and there are plans for some permanent station locations to be up and running by mid November.
It was pretty neat being in the cab as we wizzed by the test station at 90 MPH!

timkilbride

Database Admin
I hope this PTC works 100%! What is the fail safe for when you don't have any comm? Restricted speed? The railroads can't even keep in contact with the rear car of the train so I don't know how they expect PTC to work flawlessly. Maybe it will make me more money?

Tim

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Maybe it will make me more money?

Anytime the railroad gets a wild hair and tries to change things, we make more money.

I'm facing being held OOS Account excessive Limbo. Haven't made it in on my hours since I got to texas!

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Last PTC doc I had (will need to dig it up) stated that they settled on 220...at least for the Class 1's. There was talk about interoperbility between the RR's and manufactures.

J, had an older AC4400 the other day that already have the PTC breaker installed on the back panel, nothing else obvious though.

UP according to their FRA submission is suppose to start installing it in loco's at 1000? a year for most loco models.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
PJH, There is a rack of equipment under the conductors desk where the ice chest SHOULD go

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Eh, tell me about it... Though does make a nice place to put your bag...though the ice box behind the seat does suck, I've come to realize..

Status
Not open for further replies.