RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum

Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring railroad communications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy1951 View Post
To the question of clean cabs & things that "stick out"...

Safe easy and predictable access is the short answer for the clean cab...

If you sit in your car with your eyes closed, you can still reach out and find all the important stuff (besides the wheel) like gear shift and headlight switch, right...??? It's because these are easy to find and you've memorized their locations...no matter if the knobs are pointy things or receased, or flat...

Modern cabs are almost like a desk, and the horn is activated by a button, not a lanyard, and if you bump into it not much harm done...kinda like when cars starting having recessed knobs & handles before airbags were invented...sharp pointy knobs made injuries worse...so they were replaces by non pointy knobs and switches

In an older loco cab, 3 things I **DO** want easily found are Throttle, Brakes, and whistle (horn)...reverser, bells, sander, transition switch are not quite as important...and the reason I didn't include reverser handle is because, it normally shound be changed only when at a dead stop...but the brakes are the most important, and there's TWO brake handles: Main (train) and Independant (Loco only)...and IF somehow I get injured by smacking into them, then I'm already doing something wrong and am probably in deep doo doo, and the brake and throttle handles will be the least of my concern (as in doing a Casey Jones)...

No matter what type loco cab I'm in, I need to be able to put my hand on the throttle or brake without looking, because my eyeballs might be busy looking elsewhere...whether a loco is a "clean cab" is secondary to me...
Thanks for the thorough reply! I profess not to know much about this subject, so forgive the dumb questions.
Old 08-27-2012, 5:05 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
No matter what type loco cab I'm in, I need to be able to put my hand on the throttle or brake without looking, because my eyeballs might be busy looking elsewhere...
Even to the point of having your body twisted around so you can look behind you during a back-up move while still operating the throttle and brake, and radio controls, which are in front of you.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 08-27-2012, 7:02 AM

I agree with that you have to know where your controls are at all times. This became an issue for our agency (not covered by the FRA). We changed out Spectra CC radios for GE Trans 12RII CC radios, the channel select switch and volume buttons are reversed. This caused a lot of problems, especially for the radio which saw it's share of brake handles as an attempt to get rid of them. There were even a few attempts to make the radio the reason for a few yard accidents, but upon investigation it was clearly the engineers fault, not the radios.
BTW there has been as stated a lot of short lines using CDM-1250 radios, and others, there is no rule against it and the installations are clean with the exception of the microphone.
Old 08-27-2012, 4:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

If there is no microphone, what is used?
Old 08-27-2012, 8:19 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Railroad radios often don't have hand mics like you may be used to seeing on a mobile radio. Instead, some locos are equipped with what looks like a telephone handset. This lets the engineer or conductor put a speaker next to their ear so they can hear over the noise inside the cab.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2012, 5:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is it possible that they may not use even the handset at times?

It looks like these radios have a mic built in to the front panel. That way if they are very busy, they can just press the "mic" button and reply "roger" (or whatever).
Old 08-28-2012, 5:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just went back to the site with the pictures of the loco cab radios and it's a big yellow button with "PTT" on it.

So, that would, in essence, be a "mic" button? That's what it seems like to me.
Old 08-28-2012, 9:33 PM
The Third Variable
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimru View Post
I just went back to the site with the pictures of the loco cab radios and it's a big yellow button with "PTT" on it.

So, that would, in essence, be a "mic" button? That's what it seems like to me.
Yes...

burner50@radioreference.com
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks!

That would seem to be the safest method, if your hands are busy working overtime, rather than messing with a mic or handset.

I'm learning a lot here about railroad radio.
Old 08-31-2012, 9:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9RXR View Post
Even to the point of having your body twisted around so you can look behind you during a back-up move while still operating the throttle and brake, and radio controls, which are in front of you.
Yeah...been a while since EMD made dual control units...
Old 08-31-2012, 9:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9RXR View Post
Railroad radios often don't have hand mics like you may be used to seeing on a mobile radio. Instead, some locos are equipped with what looks like a telephone handset. This lets the engineer or conductor put a speaker next to their ear so they can hear over the noise inside the cab.
There is a PPT button on the inside of the handset handle...

maybe someday a Telex style headset and boom mic might be allowed, like the sports casters use...mayby only able to have one ear cup and the other ear might have to remain uncovered...

Some hoggers have been known to just reach over to a conventional mic, still in the mic clip, press the PTT button and shout real loud...

Steam Engine #45 on the California Western (Skunk Train) has the radio mounted in back of the hogger, barely kept out of the rain...

Last edited by RadioGuy1951; 08-31-2012 at 9:14 PM..
Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM
The Third Variable
Database Admin

Quote:
maybe someday a Telex style headset and boom mic might be allowed, like the sports casters use...mayby only able to have one ear cup and the other ear might have to remain uncovered...

Some new BNSF engines come equipped with headset jacks. Not sure how they're used.

Old 09-01-2012, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner50 View Post
Some new BNSF engines come equipped with headset jacks. Not sure how they're used.
Not to mention some of the older BN and BNSF 40-2's have David Clark headset jacks behind the Conductor's chair and below the power throttle on the engineers control stand.
Old 09-07-2012, 3:18 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Let me know when you find a modern mobile radio that has 32,400 memories available.
M/A-COM P7100(portable) and M7100(mobile).

Tim
Old 09-09-2012, 4:22 PM
The Third Variable
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkilbride View Post
M/A-COM P7100(portable) and M7100(mobile).

Tim
the way I understand it, that radio will accept 200 frequencies, but you can repeat the same frequency with different labels in different groups for 65,000 different names...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
the way I understand it, that radio will accept 200 frequencies, but you can repeat the same frequency with different labels in different groups for 65,000 different names...
I'm well over 200 frequencies in mine. I have almost 200 alone in my RAILROAD system. I'm guessing I have somewhere around 500 frequencies loaded into mine and no where close to done programming it.

Tim
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM
The Third Variable
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkilbride View Post
I'm well over 200 frequencies in mine. I have almost 200 alone in my RAILROAD system. I'm guessing I have somewhere around 500 frequencies loaded into mine and no where close to done programming it.

Tim
Interesting

Will it do NXDN?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-01-2018, 12:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I now there haven't been any recent posts but do the clean cab radios still use the round connector that's on my old RR Micor or has it been changed?
Old 01-01-2018, 4:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes, the radios still do use the round connector.

Radio repair was told the "clean cab" term meant the radio had detailed audio / mic fitering to combat background / closed space noise that was common in the locomotive cab.

The locomotive controls are setup the way they are to have a standard that sort of resembled the placement in the steam locomotives.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

clean cab-clean audio in the cab