need help with listenning to septa in pa

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
hi I need help with reciving septa here in chester co pa I can listen but its low modulation and sracthy sound. I am using a uniden 355n and a ground plane antenna and with lmr 400 cable what can I do to improve the recipetion of septa to a better listen level.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Make sure you have the channels programmed as NFM, not FM. That should make a big difference.

It would also be helpful to know where in the county you are, as the western end of the county is going to be a tough stretch, even with the external antenna.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk 4

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
thank u for responding to my thread I live in the north western part of chester co near new Holland and berks county pa. I will try putting the mode into nfm and see if that the problem. I can hear them It just some times it sounds like the dispatcher and locomotive crew when they talk are far from the mike and are whispering when they talk and other times it sounds like the squelch is open with them talking in the back round. should I also try putting the pl tones into channels to and see if that helps.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Don't do the PL tones - you won't hear them at all then. The PL's are on TX only so random signals do not key up the repeaters. The repeater outputs are CSQ.

As I thought, you are in a tough area of your county. Down near the Malvern/Thorndale area, your reception would probably be a lot better.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
well I listen all Christmas eve from 6pm to 9am Christmas morning some trasmissions came in loud and clear like thorndale tower on 160.6350 and 160.3500 160.3800. some of the problem I think I have depends on where the trains are ect. I also heard for the first time norkfolk southern on 160.800 a little better than the septa one but still a lots of static and breaking in and out. my radios are in nfm mode so that rules that out I also programed one using pl tones and like u said not much hear on that one. compared to the one with out the tones. I think my big promblems is the antenna is in side the house and i cant put one up outside. I am thinking of adding a amp inline and see what happens. but I think the big thing is the antenna is not up high enough so at this point I will have to deal with what I get until I can move to a new place.

phillydjdan

Keep in mind that you may be hearing the repeater well enough, but some users are just talking far from the mic or using a bad radio. The SEPTA police channel is known for that. Broken antennas, mics with loose wires in the connectors, cops (and in this case, conductors) that don't have a clue what a radio is (lol). Sometimes you just have to deal with it, especially on railroad channels. God only knows how old and beat up some of their radios are.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
well I forgot to tell u all is that chester co fire uses 160.1850mhz for there dispatch channel and I am 4 1/2 miles from a noaa radio tower on 162.4250mhz. so could this becausing the promblems I am have today on 160.6350 which is thorndale tower. I am getting bleed over from 160.1850 is there a filter I can add with out messing up the 160mhz band.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If your scanner allows a per-channel ATTenuation setting, it may help. But given the probably strong signal strength of the stations you mention, I wouldn't be surprised if the scanner front end was overloaded. I seriously doubt if there is a consumer-grade notch filter available for the home scanner hobbyist.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If your scanner allows a per-channel ATTenuation setting, it may help. But given the probably strong signal strength of the stations you mention, I wouldn't be surprised if the scanner front end was overloaded. I seriously doubt if there is a consumer-grade notch filter available for the home scanner hobbyist.

Status
Not open for further replies.